Vermont 10 x 16 Shed With Loft

Started by rich2Vermont, August 30, 2010, 08:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Adam Roby on October 02, 2020, 06:20:34 PM
I am just wondering how big (and heavy) that puppy has become?
We just adopted a 7 1/2 week old female chocolate lab.  Its a little terror but we're hoping she settles down in 18 months or so.  :)

Our experience with a yellow lab is that they settle down after about 60 months.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

rich2Vermont

Owen, our chocolate lab, now three, is about 70+ pounds. He has settled down a bit, but he's very (probably too) smart, and a little prone to mischief. But he's a lovable hunk. Our first yellow lab was much more of a challenge. People used to ask, "how old is your puppy?". We'd have to say 7 years.

archimedes

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was wondering how your foundation has held up in those cold Vermont winters.  Any issues?
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

rich2Vermont

Hi archimedes- yes, this thread has been around for a long time. I haven't much to add to it these days. We've been busy settling in at our new (to us), forever home, about 45 minutes from the cabin, and I still don't get over there as often as I'd like. I'm still hoping to build a treehouse there, hopefully next year.

The foundation is what it is. I think I've mentioned in the past that it's the big mistake on that build. I simply caved to my inner cheapskate and undersized (at least) the posts. Regardless, it's held up well, while settling a bit. You can see that the house is a bit lower than the outside deck, by about an inch or so over 5 feet. At least it settled evenly, as it's still level inside, walls still plumb. One post for the back (exposed) deck needs to come out as it heaves every year. But I'd have to take apart the entire section, and I simply haven't had the time.

I've considered spending the big bucks to have someone come in and replace the posts with a proper foundation. However, it's not a priority, given the world as it is these days.