Need Link for Cedar shake (siding) instructions

Started by rayn(Guest), April 13, 2006, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayn(Guest)

I'm leaning heavily on putting up cedar shakes for my siding.  I know its expensive, but I'm thinking the look, longevity, ease of hauling it around and working with it (yes lots of nails and time,  but you don't need anyone holding the other side of the board!).

I'm looking for a link or reference on installation,  I'm also going with the rougher "barn" cut so advice on what to look for is good too.

Amanda_931

Get you a froe and a mallet and start making shakes, no ice cream required.

Although if you are in a high fire location, think two or even three times before using them (probably especially on a roof--might be a bit less likely to catch on fire on a wall, especially if you have a good-sized lawn, or patio to keep the fire from jumping to your place)

Glenn has made them, probably back in the days when good wood was available for cheap.  Currently I think he buys them.

This is from a very nice site, well worth exploring.  The current book is perfectly lovely.

http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/shelter_shakes.html

glenn-k

I made some at my grandpa's place - red cedar -

A froe will still work along with a caveman club carved from a big limb or something similar.  You can also make them out of other kinds of wood such as pine with pretty good results I've read.

peg_688

CERTI-SAWN® TAPERSAWN CEDAR SHAKES

Certi-Sawn® Tapersawn Shakes
These shakes are sawn both sides. Premium and Number 1 Grades are the most common. Premium Grade is 100% edge grain, 100% clear and 100% heartwood. Number 1 Grade allows up to 20% flat grain in each bundle. Number 2 and 3 Grades are also available.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/wall_manual/introduction.htm

ray   I recommend ,like Amanda did ,if fire is a concern don't useum , and you said [highlight]for siding[/highlight] , right!

Shakes are so poor these days most folks put on P/T shakes  ::) :-/

If the shake is worth putting on a roof it shouldn't need to be treaded!

They don't last any more, the  wood is to poor , if and it's a big if you could get them out of Canada they might be better.  If they are cut and milled in the USA they are third or 4th growth , not worth a darn for roofing .

That link above will lead you to others about different applications ,  Good luck , PEG