Interior finish for Remote Cabin?

Started by ray(Guest), April 13, 2006, 08:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray(Guest)

Well the snow has melted and I've been out to the "tar paper shack" and finished insulating and put a subfloor on the loft!

This winter I saw a finished attic where the seams on the sheetrock cracked, since the room cycled thru various tempertures.  I took this as a warning sign for my remote cabin, which would be heated by a woodstove when in use,  and left to ambient and whatever solar heating when not.

What good looking hopefully off the sheft and reasonably priced materials can I use for finishing the interior?  I was in a nice old barn that had bead-board that held up well for 100 years,  don't think I can get that grade stuff now on my budget!

Thanks

Jimmy_Cason

Not Cheap but well worth it. Stained Pine walls

nandajor

What about the wall panels that "look" like beadboard?  I'm not sure if they are all wood, but they look pretty good.  I apologize, I can't remember the price per panel.  We used it to close in the bottom of a large jacuzzi tub, and some in the kitchen, because we liked the vintage look.  I believe it was primed. We painted it and I coated it with poly.  Purchased it at Lowe's.

Amanda_931

something--maybe several varieties--rough-cut, in two or three different widths, from your friendly local sawmill?  Cut with half-laps and start nailing?  Maybe a whitewash finish?

Or even first cuts from the sawmill.  If you get them fresh would the bark beetles already have started their work?

bartholomew

A couple years ago at the local home show they had a vacation cabin that used Louisiana Pacific's SmartSide (http://www.lpcorp.com/lpsidingproducts/lpsmartside/products/products.aspx) for the interior finish. It had kind of a bumpy finish, vaguely resembling wood grain if you squinted and used your imagination. I wouldn't use it on the outside of my house but it did make for quite a nice interior finish.

nandajor

I like the "smartside" idea.  I had forgotten that we put the beadboard panels over sheetrock.  The smartside could be put directly on the studs, I assume, because they advertise that you can put it up that way on the exterior.