Cool moths.

Started by PEG688, September 13, 2008, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

I took these photos today down John's way , Bells beach area. We don't have cool lookin moths like these up here on the north end. I seen  these type down there the last few trips to that job.

Very  8) color and markings , for bugs  d*

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Lots of cool things when you stop and look at them.  Reminds me of Icarus. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 13, 2008, 11:38:41 PM

Lots of cool things when you stop and look at them.  Reminds me of Icarus. [crz]

Yup ,they where different enought to make me stop and look.

I wonder if John has those type around his place?  The ones here are generally just gray , sort of boring.

Who's Icarus? Should , or dare I  ::)    ??? google him??   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Here in the East near the woods we have a wide variety of Moths. I have even seen them almost the size of sparrows.  Last year we had one I think was a moth that ressembled a hummingbird.  I think someone said it was a moth.  It even flew and and acted like one.  Have to try to capture one on film the next time if I can get to them before the cats do.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 14, 2008, 07:35:30 AM
Here in the East near the woods we have a wide variety of Moths. I have even seen them almost the size of sparrows.  Last year we had one I think was a moth that ressembled a hummingbird.  I think someone said it was a moth.  It even flew and and acted like one.  Have to try to capture one on film the next time if I can get to them before the cats do.

I've seen those here near ABQ as well.  They are a bit spooky.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 14, 2008, 07:35:30 AM

Well I tried to get one on film this year.  I got close enough but the speed of the camera couldn't keep up with one in flight. 

This one was not a colorful as I seen but stillo pretty neat.

considerations

Hemaris thysbe, the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth or Common Clearwing (wingspan 38-50 mm), readily visits flowers by day throughout the eastern half of the U.S. and Canada, where it ranges far to the north, even into the Yukon. Ken Philip reports them in Alaska: Interior Alaska: Fairbanks vicinity; Southcentral Alaska: Index Lake.

It is not difficult to see why many gardeners would mistake an Hemaris thysbe moth for a small hummingbird as it hovers, sipping nectar from flowers through a long feeding tube.

The moth hovers briefly, sipping for only a few seconds before darting off to a new flower. Green body "fur" and burgundy wing scales suggest a small ruby throated hummingbird.

www.silkmoths.bizland.com/hthysbe.htm