can anyone tell me of a easy build 1000sf one story two bed. around $20k

Started by paul-new, July 29, 2008, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-new

hi. i want to build a small house 1000sf apx. out in Joshua Tree California, im looking for something quite simple to build as this is my first major project,my budget is around $20/30 grand. Anyone got any ideas.   thanks

bayview

Our neighbor built a 30X70 metal building on a 4" concrete slab last year.  Did all the work, except concrete, himself.  About 12k for the building, 15K for interior, 5k for a conventional septic system.  About half of the building is "apartment" and the other half workshop. 

Building has 8" walls.  Metal was 4" and then he studded it out with 2X4s 24" on center.  He ran a "bearing" wall down the middle so he was able to do interior ceiling rafters 2X6 24" on center.  The metal building was insulated to prevent any condensation. The apartment walls and ceilings are also insulated.  Practically sound proof.

The metal building is self supporting so the interior work doesn't carry any weight.  A building within a building.

Built his own kitchen and bath cabinets. Got "seconds" on appliances at Lowes.  Cheap carpet, and 16" tile in the kitchen, entry, and bath.  He reused some lumber from a torn down deck.  Two window A/C units and 2 small electric fan heaters.

Works well for him.

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

GW

It should be possible with lumber prices being as low as they are, as long as you don't mind cheap windows and doors. I was in the lumber yard the other day and 2x4x8's were $.95 each. I bought 30 2x6x10's and 25 2x4x10's for about $85. You could also use duroid shingles for the roofing and that would save some money too.