Different entry way

Started by PEG688, April 30, 2011, 12:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Door on the left goes to the pantry , the door on the right , which is hard to see my laser set-up in the door jamb , is the main entry.

VG Fir "flooring" used as siding. Now you see it:

Going away:

Gone:

It gets a full mortise lock-set , seeing it's a 1 3/4" door add the 3/4" siding for a net 2 1/2" thick door I needed to center the mortise , so I let it in using a router and 3/4" pattern makers style bit.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

PEG688

9 foot door, yes 5 ball bearing hinges, solid core LVL door, very heavy.  Has about a 1/4" warp in it right now, into the stops as the inside is heated drying out the inner side while the exterior is cool and damp , I put on two coats to Benite two months ago to attempt to stabilize the doors. Not sure how effective that was.

Texas Tornado

PEG688

No, a 2000, or so ,  sqr. foot two story house.

Woodsrule

As usual, beautiful work PEG. It's refreshing to see craftsman work, not "builder's" work.  Keep it up.

duncanshannon

What's the story with the siding?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

PEG688

Quote from: duncanshannon on May 08, 2011, 04:27:19 PM
What's the story with the siding?

Which siding? The metal or the Fir flooring used as siding?

Thanks Woodsrule.

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

PEG688

Quote from: duncanshannon on May 08, 2011, 10:11:45 PM
The metal!

We had the roofing company that does our metal roofs do it. It's a heavier gauge than normal, with a wiggle profile.  Standard J type metal  around the windows , some custom stuff up at the fascia's / rake boards.   

It was decided to use 1/2" stand-offs,  or a rain screen wall,  beneath the metal to prevent condensation bridging into the building wrap , which is a higher priced produce by Vapro -shield you can sort of see the name in the photo's seems to be nice stuff but it was 4 times more than Tyvek in cost, and came in smaller rolls so installation was a bit slower , and adding the plastic battens they sell added labor and material costs as well. Of course IF it does what they claim and they never have issues related to condensation or other exterior water issues it will have been money well spent , you need to couple that with the unknown factor of had we not used the rain screen wall and just wrapped it like we normally would would there have been issues???   

The rain screen helped with other issues we had with the windows , had we NOT had the added 1/2" bump out we'd have had a bigger issue to deal with the windows being 1/4" over sized .  A design like this with so many odd or different  details there just more things that can add costs.

I'm not sure what else you'd like me to elaborate on concerning the siding , if you can be more specific I'll attempt to answer your question.

PEG688

Folks move in tomorrow,

A lot of "different " things about this house, fun build , some wrinkles to work out as we went along with the "Different" details , nice folks to work for.