No More Target Stores For Me

Started by MountainDon, December 09, 2012, 05:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

... not that I have been a much of a customer of theirs.

Apparently it is their corporate policy to scan the purchasers drivers license when buying a simple bottle of rubber cement. Yes, I am aware that some people sniff such substances to get high, and that is very dangerous to the sniffers health. BUT, scanning a person's drivers license or state issued ID is plain wrong, IMO.

Anyone who sells alcoholic beverages is obligated to ask for my ID... they look at it and may key the birthdate into the sales terminal. But, I have never encountered a vendor that scans the ID. I'm incensed! I told the manager he would never see me again, plus I wrote to headquarters.

Even locations that have a local ordinance requiring proof of age 18 when buying spray paint just look at the ID if they even ask this older looking guy with a bald head, wrinkles and a white beard.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Interesting!I'm going to try it tomorrow and refuse to show it if asked.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

I don't know about the glue here but I did find they scan a license when you buy Zertec.
That's the case with CVS, Riteaid and a few others.

I'm going on a buying trip in a few places without my license. If they need ID, I'll use my General Assembly ID that doesn't have a magnetic strip.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

OlJarhead

In WA anything that Meth addicts can use to make their drug (Sudafed etc) is kept behind the counter in drug stores and you have to fill out a form and are limited to one box.  You feel like a criminal asking for the stuff (so we just no longer buy any of them)....

I'm incensed by that too frankly.

MountainDon

Target stores response: "I'd like to inform you that Target complies with all local laws and regulations regarding minimum age and identification requirements and customizes its in-store training and technology to closely conform to state and local liquor laws, particularly those involving preventing sales to minors."

However, the NM law on this (glue) only states that it is illegal for a business to sell to a minor. It does not say the store must record the purchasers information. Just verify age. That's the thing that bothers me. They have taken it upon themselves to record the information.   I understand the requirement to record purchases of some of the cold medicines used to make meth. The object is to try and track the makers of meth. And for alcohol sales the law only states that each purchase must be age verified. That's what everywhere I have ever bought alcohol do; look at the ID, maybe enter the date of birth to get by the verification screen.

I have been told that there is at least one local bar / nightclub that scans ID and will not just look at the ID. Good thing I don't go there, I guess.

Target closes their response with  "If you approaches checkout with an age restricted-item, cashiers are prompted to check ID and scan the your driving license. Scanning an ID provides a more accurate way to verify date of birth and creates a quick and efficient checkout experience for our guests. The personal information collected is solely for legal compliance and fraud detection.

When scanning an ID for this purpose, the systems only capture the same data that would be captured in a manual check: first name, middle initial, last name; ID type, ID number, ID state of issue; address, country; date of birth. The data is stored in a secure environment and is deleted at the end of the standard retention period that we have established for that data.

Thanks for writing. I hope you'll visit Target again soon.

Sincerely,

Prathibha
Target Guest Relations "

India or PK I'd say.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Holy cow.  I bet hobby lobby sells rubber cement. 

When you say scan, do they swipe the stripe, or do they take a photo scan of the face of the card?

I went to American furniture the other day to pick something up, and they asked for my driver's license and recorded the ID number onto the pick slip.  I'm noticing this sort of thing more and more. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

NM DL has a magnetic stripe and one of those "funny" printed codes. They scan the printed bar with a hand scanner like those used for UPC scans.

NM_Shooter

Woodsrule

What a timely post; just the other day my wife and I went to Target and bought some Delsym cough syrup. When we got to the checkout the girl said she needed to see my license, so I asked her why. She said that one needs to be 18 to purchase it. I showed her my license and she tried to grab it, so I pulled it back and asked what she was doing. She said she needed to "scan" it and I told her that was not going to happen, but she was free to look at it to verify that I'm nearly 50 years old. She said their policy is to scan their licenses and I told her that I would not allow the scan. Since I didn't want to hold up the line I told her to keep the cough syrup. I later purchased it at WalMart with no scan. By the way, allowing a scan of your license is a BAD practice as there's lots of information that they can "store."

sparks

A couple of years ago, this gal at a convenience store asked for my birthdate so I could by a pack of smokes. Me, being the smart adze I occasionally exhibit told her twelve, twenty-five, zero-zero-zero-zero.

At which point she gave me a glaring stare over the top of her glasses, and a rather dirty look.

'What' ?  I asked.

She says 'Look pal, you don't  bear any resemblance to Jesus Christ, you want the smokes or not?'

Some people just don't have a sense of humour

sparks

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Huge29

Quote from: sparks on December 11, 2012, 11:54:49 PM
A couple of years ago, this gal at a convenience store asked for my birthdate so I could by a pack of smokes. Me, being the smart adze I occasionally exhibit told her twelve, twenty-five, zero-zero-zero-zero.

At which point she gave me a glaring stare over the top of her glasses, and a rather dirty look.

'What' ?  I asked.

She says 'Look pal, you don't  bear any resemblance to Jesus Christ, you want the smokes or not?'

Some people just don't have a sense of humour

sparks
I don't think he would smoke and it is evident that he was born in the spring, maybe that is what upset her.  ???
As to the zyrtec, it is only the D meds that have the suphedrine, which is a federal deal; that these retailers take it upon themselves to go past that and pass it on as law is a load of crock.
I will be sure to keep not shopping at Target as I always have.

peternap

I spent a lot of time buying glue last week ;D

Target wants to scan the barcode on my drivers license so I put a piece of tape over it.
The first response was I need to remove this. I just said no.
Then it was "I can't scan it" my response "Sure can't".

I don't agree with this but my wife claims I tend to smirk and giggle quietly in situations like that.

Then they sold it to me.

Harbor Freight....no questions.
Walmart......no questions
CVS.......no questions

rick91351

I don't like target stores either so I print most of my targets on the laser printer........ ;D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Native_NM

Target has one of the largest data collection systems in the world.  Not an exaggeration.  They link your drivers license to your credit card.  The next time you shop, they don't need your license because they now have your card linked to your personal data.  You even have your own unique Target guest ID now.

They slowly create profiles of their customers by collecting data which they use for direct and indirect marketing. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all

My wife got sick of the ads and marketing and called them and had her name removed from their databases.  She likes Target but generally uses cash.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

rick91351

Target Stores used to aggravate me so much when searching for a product.  I would continually get tag back on everything be it searching for a wood cook stove to Aladdin oil lamps, I could get the best deal at Target.  Best automotive part prices were at Target as well as camping and outdoor gear.  IT all was assuredly at Target.  As of late I have not noticed this worthless trolling going on.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

Quote from: Native_NM on December 17, 2012, 11:24:50 PM
Target has one of the largest data collection systems in the world.  Not an exaggeration.  They link your drivers license to your credit card.  The next time you shop, they don't need your license because they now have your card linked to your personal data.  You even have your own unique Target guest ID now.

They slowly create profiles of their customers by collecting data which they use for direct and indirect marketing. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all

My wife got sick of the ads and marketing and called them and had her name removed from their databases.  She likes Target but generally uses cash.

I guess they're out of luck with me. I never use a credit card there. I pay cash nearly everywhere I go. The other day was the first time they've seen my drivers license and couldn't scan it.

Steve_B

I live in South Carolina where fireworks are perfectly legal.....

I went in a 12 pack of SPARKLERS ONLY and they had to scan my license!!!

WHAT IF they get hacked one day.... then someone has COUNTLESS driver licenses
It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

NM_Shooter

Lowe's also seems to be getting much more aggressive in their data collection.  I never go to a register without being asked if I am using my Lowe's member card which tracks all the stuff I buy.  Then at the end of the transaction they ask me for a phone number in case I need to return something. 

I have used plastic debit and credit for much of my purchases, but I may need to go back to good old cash. 

Huge29

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 05, 2013, 03:27:44 PM
Lowe's also seems to be getting much more aggressive in their data collection.  I never go to a register without being asked if I am using my Lowe's member card which tracks all the stuff I buy.  Then at the end of the transaction they ask me for a phone number in case I need to return something. 

I have used plastic debit and credit for much of my purchases, but I may need to go back to good old cash.
HD can do a return just by swiping the credit/debit card that you used.  Kind of nice to not have to hand on to receipts. 
I noticed that Cabela's does a scan of the driver's license's strip when there is no receipt.  They insist on the scan and won't just take the card number.  Having worked in retail before I can appreciate trying to track those who consistently take advantage of the system and commit fraud through returns.  Of course, we can choose to not use these stores also by voting with our dollars as to which policies we support. 

Carla_M

Quote from: Huge29 on January 06, 2013, 03:42:26 AM
HD can do a return just by swiping the credit/debit card that you used.  Kind of nice to not have to hand on to receipts. 
I noticed that Cabela's does a scan of the driver's license's strip when there is no receipt.  They insist on the scan and won't just take the card number.  Having worked in retail before I can appreciate trying to track those who consistently take advantage of the system and commit fraud through returns.  Of course, we can choose to not use these stores also by voting with our dollars as to which policies we support.

Lowe's and a variety of other stores I buy from also do receiptless returns when the purchased item can be found on a credit card record. I sell exercise equipment and as long as the customer can let us rescan the credit card used, we do a receiptless return as well. If you buy with a card the store already has some of your info recorded anyhow, but not your address, eye color and so on like with a state issued ID.

But I guess if we don't like having the DL scanned at a place like cabela's it is best to retain all receipts. I have a drawer full of them. It take a while to find what I'm after but they are all there someplace.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

NM_Shooter

NM_Shooter

I also saw an article that said to never give your zip code out when making a purchase.  That, combined with info from your credit card provides them with the ability to identify your address and collect additional data on you. 

Sheesh.  Time to only pay for things with cash I guess.

Abbey

I only pay cash and don't have a credit or debit card. Like most of you I would not allow them to scan my ID for any reason. There is, I believe, no sinister motives here, it's pure greed. With more and more information regarding purchases, and these stores all sell customer information to each other and marketing companies, they can compile an extensive profile on people for target margeting purposes. Of course we don't know for sure what else they might be doing with all of the information they're compiling on their coustomers.