My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

I'm just glad you guys are alright and your house is fine. Wood can be replaced.

I read a story about a man in california recently who setup his house defensible for firestorms. It had sprinkers on his roof and a wide tree-free clearing around his house. The firefighters asked him to leave but he didnt, fighting off the flames. I think he had a metal roof and fireproof walls. pretty amazing story.

MountainDon

The only reason I/we miss the woodpile is it served as a fence of sorts. There are ample trees to replace the wood.

Re: CA house... Yes, if it was the same one I saw he had some sort of a Spanish influence clay tile style roof. He had the sprinklers covering the entire house, roof down plus the surrounding area. They stayed in the house as the fire approached. The woman said the fire blew over them in a very short time; seconds. They emerged to see houses up the slope bursting into flame. They had to extinguish a few spot fires but they still had green bushes/plants in their safety area.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

News story on the CA home, with video link,....

http://www.myfox11.com/Global/story.asp?S=10343568

Cool pictures.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bishopknight

Thats the same story, yup! Very cool.

I learned a bit about your vermont castings air intake piece. I'll need one of those for mine. Thanks for sharing those photos!  ;D

MountainDon

I have made a modification to the inlet. Note this is NOT a factory approved accessory.

I used aluminum foil tape to mount an old surplus muffin fan on the exterior inlet.

It's plugged into a half receptacle that is controlled by a wall switch. After I lay the pine needle fire starter with assorted size kindling on top, I ignite the fire, close the door and flick on the switch. The fan provides the boost to get the fire going without waiting to heat the chimney with the door ajar. Less smoke in the room.

It's also handy when the fire has been allowed to burn way down. Toss some kindling on top of the embers, close the door and turn on the fan. Soon the kindling is blazing.

I have not noticed any decrease in air flow when the fan is off.

MountainDon

We celebrated Memorial Day in the mountains...

MountainDon

So this past week that we were away I finished the interior window casing and trimming. I used 1X8 pine for the window sill and 5/8" finished redwood for the remainder. View to the SW...

No fancy mitered corners like I did in the suburbs. If there is a style name for this I am not aware of it. We call it simple country. It goes well with the tan vinyl windows. The bed corner...

... here's the fixed pane window in the end wall. The stained glass hummingbird will be rehung next time up there, provided I remember to get an appropriate hook.

MountainDon

I also laid somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the tile floor. Mortared down, grouted and sealed. Here's an in progress shot...

It's more involved becasue we've been living in the cabin and have to move and stack furniture. One of the shots above shows the completed NE corner. All done except for the base trim. Base trim will be redwood and will be installed later this week.

... even with knee pads it's an ordeal.

phalynx

You place looks absolutely fantastic.  The attention to detail is great.

Redoverfarm

diyfrank

looking good Don. I like the way you finished your windows.
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

So I got the floor tile completed, all grouted and only 120 sq ft or so left to seal. I took a couple pictures and forgot to bring the camera back.   d* d*  Next time....   :D :D

We also got the bed together. Took pictures of it too.   :)       d* d*

MountainDon

It turns out I did bring the camera back; just couldn't remember where I put it.     d*

As previously promised here are some bed details. The legs are cut from Doug Fir and secured with deck screws. Lower end of leg has edges rounded over with a router. As I said before, this is simply a basic box to hold the mattress up off the floor. Karen has some large plastic storage boxes with lids to store out of season items and other stuff under there.

There are two 30x80 boxes...

Here's with the queen mattress and a foam topper...

I'll have some finished, with bedding, pictures next time.

MountainDon

Here's the 'living room' end of the cabin; floor tile installation under way.

basically completed (base trim needed) ...

and a close up shot of the area around the stove. I've left an area that has to be completed. No, not with more of the same ceramic tile. Something different. TBA. Guesses?  

ScottA

Looks good Don. I saw a product called hearthstone at Lowes that might look nice under the stove.

MountainDon

I'm still waiting on our special hearth material. Pictures when it's in place.    :D

I finally got the porch done. At least the major part of it. It's approximately 4 foot by 10 foot, all PT lumber. It was slow going as the day we arrived up there it rained on and off. It rained that night and the next AM we were greeted with a view of snow on Redondo. Here's the underlying parts, beginning with three posts sunk 4 to 5 feet into the ground as measured from the built up re-contoured surface. That's a 4x6 #1 beam.

Temporarily, we kept the temporary log stairs in service.   ;D

Stair risers and a temporary sheet of OSB for a temporary deck.

EDIT: Note to future readers/viewers. I installed the ledger for the deck floor joists before the lap siding went up. This was good and proper. However, I messed up when it comes to the porch roof. I had planned and drawn all the details of everything to this point, but I never got around to drawing the porch roof details. Bad idea.

The ledger for the porch roof rafters was installed over the lap siding. This is not an ideal situation. In fact it is not seen as good practice at all. The ledger should have been installed before the lap siding. Then the siding installed. I'll get away with this but it could be a problem for some inspectors. Be aware.   -  MD

MountainDon

Here's where I left off. I used 5/4 x 6 PT SYP deck boards. The bottom step is temporarily made up from some cut-offs. There seems to be a lot of that temporary stuff going around.  :o  I wanted 10 foot deck boards but the only ones I could get my hands on without driving further were crap. I opted for twelve footers and trimmed them; the 12's were only $1 more apiece and there weren't all that many needed.

I did run short on quantity though. I need one more to complete the deck but will be waiting until I do the handrails. I also need one more 8 footer to replace those cutoffs on the lower step.

You probably can not tell from the photos very well, but I did not space the boards at all. The wood was very wet and past experience has shown that tightly positioning the wet boards is not a problem. The gazebo floor has plenty of spacing after they dried out.

How wet were the boards, you ask? Here's a close up; virtually every screw squeezed water from the wood as the screw head was seated.

MountainDon

I can't restrain myself!! Here's the raw material for the under-the-wood-burning-stove idea I had.

That's 28" x 44" x 0.040" thick copper sheet.   
I love copper!    :D

FYI, I got it from [supplier link deleted 8-2-13 per Mfgr request, jraabe] for $118 delivered.

Another shot with different lighting.

I'm planning on some sort of a border around the perimeter, but haven't decided what. Maybe 3/4 inch wide steel painted to match the stove black?   ???

Redoverfarm

I want some Don.  I have an idea to build a copper range hood trim under the stone range hood at the cabin in Dogtrot.  The design will come to me eventually.  There is a friend of my uncle that makes and repairs copper kettles about 2 hrs away.  He might be able to solder something up when I decide what I can design. Of course like you stated copper is not cheap.  I might luck out and find a roofing contrator with cut offs that will work for me. 

glenn kangiser

Are you going to put a protective finish on the copper, Don?  It will oxidize if not.  Everything looks great.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

We're going to leave it natural as any clear coat finish will eventually pick up scratches and oxidation would then set in at those points anyhow. We may simply leave it and see what happens or I may try heating/torching it to see what colors develop.   ??? 

HomeschoolMom

On the copper note, we used copper pipe for the railings on our deck about 5 years ago.  They have done nothing but turn black/brown.  The only ones that hinted at some green were a few I tried to polish once.  I am tempted with the price of copper up to pull them all and sell them.
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

secordpd

Hi Don, One thing I want to say is I'm really glad everything turned out alright with the fire and everyone safe ;D !  Do you remember what color stain you used on your window trim?  I really like that, not too light and not too dark, just right.  I think that style is called 'craftsman style', non mitered.  I love that, nice and simple and clean lines. H~`~`~`
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

Redoverfarm

There is something that you can wipe on the copper to achieve the petina look.  Vinegar?

MountainDon

Re: copper prices. they've fallen from a year ago

Re: copper patina, there are things that will speed up and promote the greening, but I haven't looked into it yet. However, even brown copper oxidation is acceptable to us.  The blue-green requires the right mix of moisture in the air. It needs more than we have in the desert; ocean air is good for it.