Wall Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, March 05, 2017, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 0.8.2b - 06.29.2018
- Steel: Wide Flange (W) beam types added to the beam module.

I've only added five wide flange sizes thus far.  I just need to know what sizes are most typically used and I can add them in.

Note that miter and fire cuts work with the steel beams as well.

I was also thinking an advanced option for steel beams might be a nailer plate on top and/or bottom of the beam, again feedback in this regard will determine if I pursue this further.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Version 0.8.2c - 06.29.2018
- Added a hanger library (customizable) and the ability to place hangers at the start and/or end of a beam.

Hangers shown are:  HU612, LUC26Z and LUS26

The hanger library is located in the "hangers" sub-folder of the library folder of the plugin.

I have a few Simpson Hangers included but any of these can be modified and additional SKP files can be put into this folder.  The plugin will automatically allow the selection of any components found within this sub-folder when selecting hangers for beams within the draw and edit menus.

I have contacted Simpson Strong-Tie in an effort to get a few more of their more common hangers that I can then simplify and include in the plugin.  I am particularly interested in the HUCQ series.

In order to minimize polygon count I typically eliminate most of the holes in the hangers and also any curved surfaces, the goal is to keep the file size below 50 kb if possible.

Medeek

The ability to easily add in components into the library is kind of nice.  After about an hour of work I added in the following Simpson column caps just to give it a go:

- CCCQ6666
- CCOQ6
- CCQ66
- CCTQ666
- ECCLLQ666
- ECCLRQ666
- ECCQ66

It was as simple as dropping the files into the folder, no coding required.

The parametric ability to change the "hanger" at each end is vital when setting something up like this.  Not saying you would actually build this but I've worked on some local designs with complex porches that easily rival this monstrosity.

I will roll these components into the hanger library on the next sub. revision, probably tomorrow.

P.S. I will also include the following caps and hangers:

- CCOQ4, ECCOQ4
- CCQ44, CCQ46, CCQ64, CCQ88
- ECCQ44, ECCQ46, ECCQ64, ECCQ88
- HUCQ410, HUCQ412, HUCQ610, HUCQ612

Medeek

Version 0.8.2d - 06.30.2018
- Created a number of low polygon count Simpson Strong-Tie hanger and column caps.

The full list of included hangers and column caps can be found here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/wallpluginvendors.html

Any hardware included with the plugin are custom drawn by me to reduce polygon count and standardize layers and materials.

If you would like to see specific hardware added please email me the manufacturer, part numbers and reference material.  For Simpson hardware I typically refer to their literature and their various DWGs files found on their website.

Medeek

Changing gears to gable walls you can see in the image below that a symmetric gable wall with equal wall heights and equal pitches is only the tip of the iceberg.  In the example below the pitches are equal but the start and end wall heights differ by four feet.  One could also have different roof pitches so the pitches may differ as well.

Theoretically one could draw a scenario like this with two "shed" wall panels butted up to each other except for the problem that the door would bisect this wall junction, hence it must be drawn as a single wall panel.

Also note the double stud placement at the pitch break.  This may not be typical for all builders but I would recommend this more conservative approach rather than a single stud at the pitch break.

Looking at this wall segment it occurs to me that wall panels that connect to this panel at the corners or tee into it cannot be treated the same way rectangular wall panels connect with lapping top plates. 

Again, things just got a little more interesting.

The most common (balloon framed) gable shapes are probably the following:

- Shed (monopitch with different start and end wall heights)
- Symmetric Gable (equal pitches and equal wall heights)
- Non-symmetric Gable (equal/unequal pitches and equal/unequal wall heights)
- Symmetric Gambrel (dual pitch equal and equal wall heights)
- Hip  (equal pitch, equal wall heights with a flat middle section)
- Clerestory (equal/unequal pitches with equal/unequal wall heights with a kneel wall at pitch break)

Please feel free to add to this list.  I believe the first three of this list are the highest priority.

Medeek

I'll start with the band board.  The updated exterior trim menu now appears as so:

The band thru corner parameter causes the band board to cut through the corner trim boards and extend all the way to the corner (mitered).

The four additional parameters should be sufficient to fully define the band board.  The band board trim thickness is the same as the corner trim, I'm assuming that typically you would want these various trim boards to all be the same thickness?  If not then an additional parameter for the band board thickness is required.

By the time I add in all of the parameters for the frieze and water table the menu is going to get quite large, which can create problems for people working on laptops with small screens.  My only option at that point is to remove some variables from the draw wall tool ext. trim menu (still available in the global settings and wall edit menu) or go to an HTMl menu.

Don_P

This is a steel beam calc I put together a few years ago;
http://forestryforum.com/members/donp/steelbeamclc.htm
I can't remember phone numbers much less beam sizes, I think W8x21, W12x40 I've used in the past, we installed a C10x15.3 a week or so ago, also in steel 4" round and square tube columns, and BOCA posts as well, I think they are 3&4" but not positive on actual od's.

Medeek

Version 0.8.3 - 07.02.2018
- Added a band board option to the exterior trim module.
- The "band thru corner" option allows the band board to cut through the corner trim.

Medeek

Version 0.8.3c - 07.04.2018
- Release date and sub. revision numbers are now correctly reported in the global settings license tab.

Medeek

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which I will readily admit can be my undoing sometimes.

The LVL edge texture was really bugging me so I created a slightly better one:

An 14" deep LVL 3-Ply beam with an HUCQ612 hanger.

Medeek

Preview of the updated Trim tab of the global settings.  I've organized it a little better into vertical and horizontal elements for the exterior trim:

I've also added the missing Wainscot Cut parameter and the new parameters for the Frieze and Skirt boards (with drip cap).

Medeek

Frieze, Band and Skirt boards:

In this instance the skirt board is thru the corner, also notice the drip cap has been enabled for the skirt board.

All three of these horizontal trim elements can also be combined with the ext. wainscoting.

There is still some fine tuning I need to do with regards to how these horizontal elements terminate at window and door openings when trim is wrapping these elements, I will be looking at this tomorrow.

Medeek

I will need to give the window module some more thought, it is very limited at the moment, only some very basic window types.  Also the ability to customize the callout would be useful I think.

Testing the wall presets with the new trim features.  The example below shows the water table terminated at the corners, compare to the previous example.

Medeek

Version 0.8.4 - 07.05.2018
- Added frieze and skirt board options to the exterior trim module.
- Added an optional drip cap to the skirt board (dimensions can be set in the global settings).
- Similar to the band board the skirt and frieze can cut through the corner trim.
- Each wall panel now has a name assigned to it, which can be edited in the wall edit menu.
- LVL beam depths now include 22" and 24" beam sizes. LVL edge texture has been updated.

Medeek

Version 0.8.4b - 07.05.2018
- Fixed the door handing for in-swing doors.
- Callout for in-swing doors moved to interior side of wall.

Medeek

The horizontal trim elements (frieze, band, skirt) are now interacting with the exterior window and door trim as one would expect:

When no trim is installed (wall to the right) the band board is cut at the opening(s) flush with the sheathing and cladding.  When trim is installed the band board and skirt terminate at the edge of the window/door trim.

Little details really, but the devil is in the details.

Reminds me of the days working construction for a general contractor in Utah some 20 years ago.  I was installing faux log siding on a high end residence and if our pieces butted up with a gap anymore than 1/32" he would make us pull it off and redo it (especially on the front of the house).

Medeek

Today was one of those days where I got seriously pulled sideways, so rather than jump back into the larger important items I put out a few small fires and some low hanging fruit, kind of needed a break anyways after working straight through the 4th.

Flat two and four panel doors, single and double options:

A slightly more contemporary look versus the more traditional six panel doors.

Medeek

Version 0.8.4c - 07.07.2018
- Horizontal trim elements terminate at window and door trim.
- Added the following door types: flat four panel, flat two panel (single and double).

Medeek

Just for curiosity sake I gave crown molding some more thought this morning and it quickly became apparent to me that interior trim is far more complicated than I originally thought.

The problem arises when you have a long ext. or int. wall that is adjacent to multiple rooms, where multiple walls tee into this wall.  Some of these rooms may have crown molding and some may not. 

To make this completely parametric would require some very serious logic.

Another option would be to decouple the crown molding from the wall panels and just make a separate tool for this function. 

Option C would be just to leave this venue to other plugins like Profile Builder.  The problem with this option is that with baseboard and chair rail the door and window openings would have to be manually removed.

For now I don't have an optimal solution for interior trim, I will need to give this some more thought.

Medeek

Plugin utilization breakdown:

Foundation Plugin:  Not parametric, slab on grade foundation, less than a minute

Wall Plugin:  Fully parametric, exterior walls only with some doors and windows, about a minute

Truss Plugin:  Rafter roof not parametric and required manual editing to complete this roof framing, approximately 30-45 minutes of trimming members with the trim tool (Truss Plugin).

Based on this test the area I am falling down in most is the roof.  I need to be able to automatically create complex roofs and also have them fully parametric, this has always been the holy grail of the Truss Plugin and I have not yet achieved it. 

In my mind the Wall Plugin has already surpassed the Truss Plugin in ability and functionality.

Medeek

Version 0.8.4d - 07.05.2018 thru 07.09.2018
- Added a vertical offset parameter for doors that allows a door to be positioned below the bottom plate of the wall.

Door is vertically offset 12" into blockout in concrete stemwall.

Medeek

To better reflect the distinction between a plugin and extension I will be re-branding the plugin and renaming it to just "Medeek Wall".

From here on out I will also be referring to it as an extension.

The entire collection of plugins will be re-branded as:

Medeek Architect - A SketchUp Extension Library

Medeek

Added the APL4 Beam-to-Column Tie per designer request:

Installed in pairs with total of six STN22 decorative washers.

Medeek

Version 0.8.5 - 07.11.2018
- Added the Prairie Grille for picture windows.
- Added "Casement" and "Fixed" to the window installation types, these currently are modeled identical to the picture window type.
- Added a "No Header" option for windows.
- Updated the licensing system to include a 30 day limit of the trial version.
- Added Simpson Strong-Tie APL4 Beam-to-Column Tie to the beam hanger library.
- Name of plugin changed to "Medeek Wall".

Medeek

Trying to get to the big stuff but ended up working on some fires and adding some window grilles per customer requests.

The following grille options now available will be:

- None
- Standard
- Prairie
- Perimeter
- Short Fractional
- Farmhouse

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/45065390-c77d-4d8d-a3aa-95f59ca5d578/Window-Test-Grilles