Victoria's Cottage on the Oregon Coast

Started by MikeT, March 12, 2008, 09:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

So instead of giving you a lengthy verbal diary of our Victoria's Cottage project on the Oregon Coast, I thought I would start with a series of photos, starting from the first time we visited the site, through the construction phase to the current state. 

I have also inserted some photos of my "crew"—this will illustrate why work hasn't exactly followed the envisioned plan.  I should also note that this project has more than one element of "scope creep" to it.  My original idea was a yurt off the grid....

We saw the property in February 2005, and put an offer on the property.  It was accepted and the deal closed in April, 2005.

The first of my many errors was thinking that a construction shed was okay prior to getting a building permit.  It was not.  Had to remove this shed.

My site plan as submitted.  Not quite on a napkin, but hand -made drawings do work.

This elevation gives a sense how I was planning on building on the slope with two engineered retaining walls.

Finally, we broke ground in August, 2006.

Family meeting

Footings were ready for a pour in October, 2006.

Then came the stemwall formatioin.

Kids became good at tying rebar.

We poured the stemwall in January, 2007.

It snowed in late January, 2007-just in time to pull off the forms.

The glow of snow wore off fast when you had to work in it.

By March, 2007 we were actually framing—Our VC plans have a full basement.

In July, 2007 we were working on the main level.

A man and his project.

When I bought the come-along, I never realized it had so many uses.

The mid afternoon pause that refreshes.

Even mom needs a nap sometimes.

A job for everyone—a site built ladder comes in handy (sister-in-law and nephew).

A group of friends lends a hand and a lot of work was accomplished!

Time to frame a roof.

The big ridge beam was placed by a crane—a terrific (and safe) $200 investment.

My son drilling holes for rebar to be epoxied in....part of the engineered foundation plan.

By January, 2008, we had the roof framed and shingled, and a deck frame constructed.

Windows went in February, 2008--note: I was just testing the look of the mid-level windows here...

Finished the entry porch in March, 2008--still unfinished in this this picture.

I need a constant reminder to keep the eyes on the prize....

Lots more work to do, but the process has been...memorable.

wingam00

Mike, Very NICE Place and your hard work looks GREAT!!!!!! [cool] How much land do you have?

I am a little worried about the use of your come-a-long. If my wife sees your idea on hoe to use the come-a-long, I am in big TROUBLE.

Thanks for the pictures.

Mark

glenn kangiser

Great overview Mike.  Thanks for taking the time to post it.  Great looking family too.

Somehow that view looks vaguely familiar to me. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

Wingam00,

thanks for the kind words.  The parcel we have is irregularly shaped but is about 90' x 100' or so.  And it is on a steep slope.

mt

ScottA

Great looking project and one hell of a view. I noticed alot of your help was laying down on the job. Are you overworking them or are they just lazy? My help keeps getting lost on the way to the job and never seems to show up except once in rare while.

MikeT

Scott,

My help is:

1. weather dependent  (favorable only)
2. homework dependent (when they are at home, they never seem to have as much as when they are at the beach)
3. friend dependent ("there is a birthday party everyone will be there")
4. good for about 5 to 6 hours per day, including lunch and breaks  (I want to be a part of that union!).

John_M

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

CREATIVE1

Thanks for the pictures.  Will be looking forward to more. 

Does your help spend more time enjoying the view than working? :-*

Sassy

Beautiful view - and terrific job on the house - it looks like such difficult terrain but you & your crew have really done well - even if they do take a break once in awhile  ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MikeT

Regarding the terrain:  I suppose ignorance is bliss.  I had no experience on building anything other than a garage on a flat lot, and I figured that if I could get the foundation in, it would be easier.  In truth, the steepness posed many more challenges, but none that were insurmountable.  But if the lot had been easier to build on, someone else would have done it before me. 

In truth, the biggest help has been my father.  He has taken many of these pictures, and he has helped me regularly throughout the process.  I think he is looking forward to relaxing down there as well.

There is still so much to do, but at least now it looks like something.  It was hard to keep going when you only had an image in your mind of what it would be like.

mt

fritz

BiggKidd

A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

John Raabe

Mike and Family:

Great work on a fine project. Thanks for letting us share the experience!

You are proving to us all that the additional expense and extra work of a "challenging" site are more than worth it. What a place to come home to! ::)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Neutral

I know, I'm digging this up from the dead but I want to know how's it going?

MikeT

Thanks for the prompt.  I will post some more pictures later today/tonight.  The quick written update:

The shearwall inspection was approved, so now we are tarpapering and getting ready to do the siding--salvaged cedar shingles and T1-11.

mt

Sassy

Just reviewed your pics & story - again, what an accomplishment!  I'm eagerly looking forward to some more pics, too!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.