14x40 MH ADDITION

Started by LSUrulzzz, March 08, 2009, 10:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUrulzzz

Terrrriffic site... Been reading and learning quite a bit ... Tons of info !

We will be starting a manufactured home addition 14 ft wide * 40 ft long ... Basic rectangle shape with a flat/shed type roof.
This will basically be a bedroom and living room
The building has to be free standing from MH xcept for flashing at roof per code/insurance requirements (which I Understand)
Plan on using block foundation, ( like on MH ) with three 4x6 beams, 2x8 floor joists 16"o.c.( doubled at perimeter) 3/4 t&g ply., 2x6 studs 16"o.c.

This question pertains to the flat roof portion :
1.  Just ordered the Little House Plans and was wondering will I be able to use the 40ft Long dimensions??
OR, should I break this in half ........Using Two 14x20 attached to one another to get the 40ft total
2. On the wall system , should I go with a doubled 2x6 every 6-8ft to help support the roof ?? Or is that overkill ??

Feel free to give opinions.

glenn kangiser

Just keep extending lengthwise duplicating the foundation spacings.

From my experience... think about the roof connection Will leaves pile up there and rust out the roof - will it drain - Higher than existing roof?  Clerestory windows - cricket? - lower than existing roof - head room  ?
  Just thoughts.

2x6 walls are already overkill as far as structural goes.  Good for insulation.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

LSUrulzzz

Thanks for reply!
I dont have the Lil House plans yet ( ordered )... but I think I understand what ur saying:
Just keep extending the foundation until I reach the proper dimension ... Correct ?

The reason I am asking is do I need some sort of "support" wall say at the 20 ft mark ... OR, is it ok to run the full length 40 ft ( Already intend on placing large walk in closet at half way point )

The MH and Addition will be re-roofed with 26ga metal roof once finished, so there will be no worries on the flat roof portion of addition. The MH roof will overlap 1 ft onto the flat roof addition.

Think I can drop my studs in size from 2x6 to 2x4 ?? Here in South Louisiana there is really no need for Xtra insulation ..... ALTHOUGH the occasional Katrina, or Gustav tends to blow thru !

MountainDon

Yes you can pretty much easily make any plan longer; wider involves thinking/engineering.

2x6 and more insulation works good in hot areas too, especially if you are cooling the interior.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.