16 or 24

Started by ScottA, December 07, 2007, 07:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I reran all the numbers on my cabin framing last night after deciding on osb 7/16 sheathing and 23/32 T&G subfloor all the calculators say I can go with 24" centers for floor, walls, and roof rafters. Suposedly the floor will rate at L/360 using the OSB even though the joists will be L/480 . Whats your opinion of using 24" centers?

Also I've decided to glue all the floor and wall sheathing for strength. My floor will be sheathed top 23/32 and bottom 7/16 will this make it stiffer? I'm not really too cheap to use 16" centers but I see no reason to overkill if I don't need to. As a side note I've decided to use 1/2" birch plywood on the interior walls instead of sheetrock if that makes any difference. Vaulted cieling will be 1x12 pine.

Scott

glenn kangiser

I would do 24 myself but that's me.  One of the main objections I've heard voiced here is that 1/2 inch sheetrock will be wavy on 24 inch centers but I don't think that will be the case with the Birch plywood.

Insulation values will be better with the 24" centers as the wood studs are a lower R value than insulation.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

With interior wall sheeting that's stiffer than 1/2 sheetrock the 24" there should be okay.

My thoughts on the floor joists at 24" is okay, as long as you're not pushing the span limit. If you are, 16" might be better. I really don't like floors with any bounce. But then my home floor is concrete and I really notice stuff like that.

Why the 7/16 on the bottom of the floor joists? If it's for stiffness I think 16" joist spacing is easier.  :-\ OMMV.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

QuoteWhy the 7/16 on the bottom of the floor joists? If it's for stiffness I think 16" joist spacing is easier.

No, I'm sheathing the underside of the floor because I'm leaving the crawl space open kinda like they used to do in australia and japan. The floor will be insulated like a wall. sounds nutty I know but thats the look I'm going for and I want to keep moisture out. It's very wet and humid here in the warmer months.