What is a good pitch???

Started by 2zwudz, November 17, 2008, 07:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

I am getting ready to start my cabin and I would like to know from you guys with some experience as to what pitch on a roof do you like.  I am not going to have an upstairs for heating purposes and I will be building it mostly by myself and with SOME help from my 15yr and 13yr old sons when they have time.HAHAHA.  I would like something that looks nice.  Its deminsions are 16'x24'.

Thank you for your suggestions
Mark

Redoverfarm

2zwudz I guess it would depend on where you are located.  If you have a great snow load then steaper is better.  Without it I would say a 6/12 would be managable and still provide a little storage. 

MountainDon

I went with a 5/12 pitch because anything steeper makes me uncomfortable to go up on. I do like the appearance of a steeper pitch, but didn't need the upstairs space, and as I said I don't lie being on the steeper ones.

Even a 4/12 metal covered roof sheds snow pretty good. Keep in mind that sliding snow can play havoc with rain gutters id there are any.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

Well, I found today that an 8/12 pitch is too steep to walk on once it's covered in a slippery dusting of snow. Unfortunately, it didn't start snowing until I was already working on the peak.. ::) Good news is we finally got the cabin roof sheathed for the winter! Insulation and metal will have to wait 'till next spring.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Jens

What is a good pitch???  I got an island in the Pacific I'll sell ya.  If that isn't your thing, how about some oceanfront property in Arizona...a bridge in Brooklyn?  If you don't need loft space, and want it walkable, 7/12 is about the steepest.  Snow loads in many parts of the country can be handled by this size pitch with 2x6 trusses, or 2x8 rafters IME
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

rwanders

The roof on my cabin in Alaska is a 12/12 pitch and metal----I wouldn't advise trying it as a DIY project unless you have very sharp and strong fingernails. It  does provide both excellent headroom combined with 12 ft side walls for a 1 1/2 story cabin and a rather dramatic architectural look. Also it really really sheds snow well (and roofers).

If all that doesn't attract you, I think 7 or 8/12 is about as steep as you would want.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

My favorite is still the 12/12 for the old look and attic room.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hnash53

I don't know if you have looked and actually seen various pitches but our cabin is 12 in 12.

Go to www.countryplans.com/nash.html and you'll see pics both inside and out of what a 12 in 12 looks like.

And we hired out the framing of the roof and the shingling also.  Money well spent.

Best wishes,

Hal

2zwudz

Hal
Thanks for the reply!  Your cabin is actual in my favorite top two cabins on this site!!!!!! It has alot of character. I also like the 12/12 pitch.  I am going to have to plan this carefully when I get to that point because it will be me by myself doing it. My 73 year old father will be there and my 15 and 13 year old sons but I don't want them up there.

Mark

firefox

Rope is cheap. Get some and tie one end to something solid on the oposite side of the house you are working on and
tie the other end to you just short enough to keep you on the roof if you happen to slip. Also attach a 2x8 or larger
around where the gutter will be and sticking up like a wall. You may get a few bruises, but you will be alive to tell us about it.

Some of the other folks here may give you some ideas on how to attach the boards so that they are safe but can be removed easily.

They are building a 5 story building next to ours where I work. A co worker was telling me that he saw one roof worker fall off and was just hanging by his safety line. A little shook up but none the less alive.

I hope this helps to keep you alive.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

ScottA

I like 12/12 too. But it's hard to build. If you don't need the attic space I'd go with 6/12.

hnash53

2zwudz,

Thanks for the compliment.  If I had to do over again, I'd go with a metal roof and keep the same pitch.

Best wishes,

Hal