1 1/2 story in Alaska with pictures

Started by sdextereo, June 01, 2008, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonelytree

Looks good. I noticed Penn Jersey on the drilling rig. PM me if you would allow a tour. I will even pitch in a bit.

Mike

sdextereo

Well it seems my pictures did not show up. I am sure you folks could look at my photobucket album.
To answer bobtheengineer question, I used 2x12 for the rafters and a 9/12 pitch.
I originally wanted a 6/12 pitch but after framing half of it up I decided there was not enough head room.
So using the 16' 2x12 I had purchased I could get a 9/12 pitch with my 24' span. If I had had 20' 2x12 I would have gone with a 12/12 pitch "scary".
As far as the 55,000btu woodstove goes, without insulation when its 10 degrees out you can't even tell its burning. It's one big icebox in there.

And lonelytree it's good to here from another Alaskan. Do you live in Southcentral Ak? Well, I was very nervous about the whole well drilling process. I lucked out.
We hit water at 40' and  19' static head depth, 15gpm and not much Iron in it. I iron tested at .4 ppm.
Penn-Jersey drilling is tops in my book. They are highly recommended around the Willow area.

glenn kangiser

I have a ton of your pictures on page 1
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

Ditto on Penn Jersey Drilling!  They did my well not far from your Caswell Lakes area.  I am between mile 90 &91 off the west side of the highway. Perhaps we can trade project tours one day.

Bob (rwanders)
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

Quote from: sdextereo on November 11, 2008, 09:16:22 PM
We hit water at 40' and  19' static head depth, 15gpm and not much Iron in it.

:o  40 ft!!!!    Good grief!  :P 

The shallowest well I know of around our mountain cabin is 266 feet, the deepest 585.   :o

Around home (desert) the city wells go 1000 feet and more. They've done some test wells and have found huge saline aquifers down between 3800 and 6500 feet. Enough water for a city of 300,000 for a hundred years, once desalinated. Cost $6Million for the tests.   :o
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sdextereo

MountainDon, do you have any idea what the price per foot is there in New Mexico?
I paid close to $40 per foot up here.
The reason I ask is that I have 113 acres of desert in Sanderson, Texas
I was wondering if drilling a well there might cost more than the land. I hear they are around 1,000 feet.
deeper the closer you get to the Rio Grande.

MountainDon

The last guy I know who drilled was at something like $33 a foot.

Sanderson, Texas... call themselves the Cactus Capital of TX
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sdextereo

I guess that is why the land there is so cheap!
I guess a few of the brave people there collect rainwater.
check this out http://www.bosstanks.com/wwckit.htm
looks cheaper than well.

MountainDon

I see they also have wildlife guzzlers. I've seen a number of those in UT.

I'm leaning in the direction of rainwater collection and storage.