B-jork residence

Started by ByteWizard, February 19, 2010, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByteWizard

Can you help me? I search a complete plans of the b-jork house. In the site is present the foto
but the plans???
Tnk

MountainDon

I'm not sure what house you mean by  "b-jork"?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

The Bjork Residence

http://www.countryplans.com/bjork/

Custom home. He's gonna have to contact John Raabe, I guess.
NE OK

MountainDon

Now I remember.   d*

John can be contacted thru    questions@countryplans.com
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

That was a custom house here on Whidbey Island. Sorry but the plans are not available as a stock plan... I've left this project up as an example of the building sequence. Also the builder and owners have sent links to friends and family. It is a very nice house and the owners and I have become good friends.

Click the image below to view the project and help yourself to any of the ideas you find.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

poppy

That's a very nice design John, but why oh why would they paint the shingles?  ???

In my view it looked so much better with the natural finish.

John Raabe

Yes, I agree. They have since restained the shingles a second time. I'm not sure a natural finish would have been any less durable.

However, long term, almost all natural wood or shingled houses end up with something very close to a paint finish as the stains build up pigment. My own house, cedar siding left natural in 1984, now has a solid body "cedar" latex stain after two rounds of semi-transparent oil.

There was one old 1930's farmhouse on the island, just recently torn down, that had unpainted and unstained clap board siding. It had never been touched. In this climate it was quite black from the action of moisture fed organisms like mildew. Wetting and drying cycles had also deteriorated the outside surface of many of the boards. In a dry climate like Colorado the wood develops all kinds of interesting colors as it ages.

There has been lots of progress in paints and stains since 1984. There may be products now that can protect the wood for 5 years or more yet keep the natural color of the wood.
None of us are as smart as all of us.