CP office closed Wed for three days

Started by John Raabe, June 13, 2005, 03:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

The CountryPlans office will be closed this coming Wed, Thurs & Fri (6-15,16,17). If you want to order plans that will get to you quickly, please have them ordered by close of business Tues 6-14.

Otherwise they will be filled and shipped on Monday 6-20-05.

Thanks, John

PS - I am picking up an older RV and will be testing it out with a plan of being able to research small houses while on the road. I will be attempting to post some pictures and an update to this forum while traveling. We'll see how it goes. ;D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DavidLeBlanc

If you're coming through Seattle, there's a very interesting little development at the corner of 15 or 16 and Jefferson (off the James St. exit, across from the old Providence Hospital, if you know the area).

4 Cottages on a standard (for Seattle) corner lot. Very cute little places: large room downstairs with kitchen at one end, plus a 1/2 bath tucked under the stairwell. Upstairs are 2 bedrooms, full bath and laundry facilities. "Ross Chapin for the working man". I heard they sold in the $80k's.

glenn kangiser

Good luck , John.  Maybe I'll see you here sometime if it works good ???

I also will be a bit swamped for the next couple days working out of town, but will try to pop in a bit morning and night.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I would love to stop and visit some of the fine folks I've met on this forum but that will have to be another better planned trip.

This will be a shakedown cruise up the spine of the Colorado Rockies into Wyoming, (maybe over into Utah if time and weather permit) then Montana, Idaho and Washington.

This is the vehicle — she seems well cared for and the ebay seller is honest... but this is a 1978, so wish me luck! (eBay item #4554595160)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

craig lauer

david
any pictures of the "working mans houses you discribed ?

DavidLeBlanc

Alas, not at the moment - my camera is unavailable.

They do not look to be too different in size from a Builder's Cottage, except that they're a full 2 stories.

Narrowish staircase runs up the back side of the long axis, possibly with an "el" near the top. I didn't get to see the upper floors directly.

Epiphany

David, can you find out who the builder was of the small homes on Jefferson?  I just found an article in the March 24, 2005 Seattle Times called "Shoreline Cottages - Too Close For Comfort? in which "cottage housing" seems to be pretty unpopular with its existing neighbors.  It mentions the four cottages on Jefferson as an experiment.

DavidLeBlanc

I'll see what I can do about finding out who designed the Jefferson St. project.

The Shoreline cottages project was done by Ross Chapin through his "The Cottage Company". Interesting to hear negative feedback.

DavidLeBlanc

Have a look @ http://www.homesteadclt.org/issue20.pdf

Built by Shelter Real Estate Developments.
Architect: David ???

More info by emailing nicehouse@comcast.net

As you can see in the illustration in the above .pdf file link, it's more accurate to call them 1-1/2 story cottages. Craftsman style detailing.

I'm APPALLED at the price, although, they are still less than 1/3 of what Chapin's new stuff is going for - $500,000+ (slightly larger than cottages under discusion, to be fair).

jonseyhay

John,
Is there a book hatching here, or are you going to be one of those Grey nomads.  ;D
jonesy.