link to our kitchen remodel album

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 16, 2007, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Does that mean I can quit practicing my Spanish :-?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

For any of you who looked at the other albums besides the remodeling and home improvement ones, my husband was fussing at me this morning that all these pictures are so old and that I need to update.  The baby in most of those pictures is now 3.5, and the older one is almost 5.  I guess I need to update from time to time... and probably should take some more pictures of the kitchen after we finish what we're working on this weekend.
And probably some of the outside of the house with all the scrubby shrubs removed and the awnings gone and with the window trim painted green... it looks a lot cleaner and nicer.  
I'm not terribly computer literate and I always have to spend half and hour just remembering how to upload pics to the website!

glenn kangiser

We are patiently waiting, Homegrown. :)  I was wondering how big the kids were now.  Cute little rascals. :)

For here, the Photobucket account is easiest -- for blogs -- Sassy had one --- It  drove me crazy.  (Yes -- I know --- I was already there -- but I need something to blame it on. :-/)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Makes a convenient excuse anyway, doesn't it? :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

OK, I'm going to try to post via photobucket... here's a few shots of this weekend's work; unfortunately, we didn't get back to the kitchen yet.  I realized when I downloaded pictures from the camera to the computer, I still has stuff on there from the 4th of July!
Here goes:
https://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/homegrowntomatoes/DCAM0181.jpg

Homegrown Tomatoes

OK, so that didn't post a pic but a link... let's try again with a different one:
https://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/homegrowntomatoes/?action=view&current=DCAM0173.jpg

MountainDon

HGT,  use the last link under the image in photobucket    the    "IMG code"  tag

click on it and then just paste into the message

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Homegrown Tomatoes

We couldn't help it that it took all weekend just to get the trim painted... after all, this is who showed up to help us!

glenn kangiser

...and what pretty little helpers they are.  That blue hair would go nicely with Mtn. Don's Green face. :)

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'll bet you can hardly wait.  Take lots of pix. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Heck, they dress like this on a regular basis.  We went to Subway for dinner because we worked until after dark on the house, and one wore the blue hair and hat and the other one fashioned herself a paper "muzzle" and pretended to be our next-door-neighbor's dog, even barking at the kids working at Subway.  I told y'all that we went to the grocery store a week or so ago with superman pjs and snow boots (not me, of course, but the kids did.)  Do you know how hard it is to buckle a car seat over a horse costume???  We were quite a sight, I'm sure... two stringy haired costumed kids and mom and dad covered in paint and dirt.  I have no idea why I'm still awake!  It's nearly 2AM.

glenn kangiser

Maybe you are crazy like me. :o

They look like they like to have fun. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

That, or a chronic insomniac since birth... maybe a combination of the two :P

Homegrown Tomatoes

Update on the kitchen remodel:
Got the rest of the backsplash tiled today.  Took all of an hour, maybe two to finish it!!!  Can't believe I've been putting it off this long when it only took a little while to do.  Got the countertop on the prefab cabinet done a few weeks ago, but am planning on finally grouting it tonight while I have the momentum going.  We finished pretty-ing up the ugly old window about a month ago... it is all coming together nicely.  I'll take new pics as soon as I get the grout done (hopefully by Christmas??)

glenn kangiser

I have a million undone things that will only take an hour or two, Homegrown.

Added all together, that's approximately 1.5 million hours, so a very significant undertaking.  No wonder I haven't started. [crz]

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, the grout that wouldn't have taken all that long is still not done.  Maybe this evening?  We had a few friends invite themselves over for Christmas dinner (which was fine by us.)  Anyway, I didn't get around to it yet, but the mosaic itself looks good.  Darn, we're so close to being done.... think I might hire a babysitter one day just so I can get 'er done.  We are also wanting to put new floors in the whole first floor, and we saved DH's profit-sharing bonus to do so, but we haven't even made the time to measure and go buy supplies yet.  I think if we wait much longer on the floor, it is going to be hard for me to get up and down to do the work... last time we did a floor I was also pregnant, and I remember getting down on my hands and knees and then ending up so stiff I'd have to pull up on furniture to get up.  As a thank you for running the kids' ministry at church for the past year and a half, I got a $75 gift card to Home Depot... (they stuck a note in with it that they'd thought about giving us a gift card to a fancy restaurant, but figured that we'd appreciate Home Depot more, and they were right.  ;) )  Anyway, when we were in Oklahoma, we had the time and energy, but very little resources to do the needed work on our house.  Now we're faced with a different dilemma in that we don't have the time or the energy, but we can sure as heck afford it better than we could then!  I need a deadline to work towards (ie. a moving date?) and I can bet you I'd find the time to finish it up.  Need to invite someone to come visit so that we can say that before so-and-so gets here, we want to have x, y, and z finished.

ScottA

Don't feel bad my shower dripped for 4 months before I got around to fixing it and I'm a plumber.

Sassy

Homegrown, that's usually my strategy  ;)  but hubby has it figured out  d*  Usually we have a big family/friends get-together so there's always the last minute rush to get some extra stuff done - this year I didn't have to work on Christmas so we went to my brother's - so didn't get some extra stuff done  :(  besides, DH has been working quite a bit this past month... need the money but don't get much done around here except for repairing equipment, fixing things the puppies mess up & just keeping things going.  Once in awhile we like to do something besides work  [shocked]

Don't feel bad about needing to pull yourself up by the furniture, HG - you have the excuse of being pregnant - I have to do that & I'm not pregnant  :-\  Guess it's the old bones not working as good  :( 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I finally got around to resurrecting this old topic to show some of the finished pictures of the kitchen, if I can remember how to post them correctly!  Here's a try:  let's see if this link will work and you can just access the album?
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=224177775/a=76604766_76604766/t_=76604766

Homegrown Tomatoes

There are also some pictures of the other rooms we finished up before moving and the new flooring...  We changed the dining nook just outside the kitchen from stark white (which we'd painted it right after we moved in because we couldn't stand the dark panelling) to a buttery yellow... the lesser contrast between it and the window trim made a really huge difference in how the room felt.  We also painted the sewing room bright yellow and it made it feel twice as big (it is a tiny room).  The common floors throughout the whole downstairs opened up the space, made it brighter and easier to clean... just wish we'd done it a few years ago so we'd had more time to enjoy it.  Somehow in the hustle of moving, I managed not to take any pictures of the basement, which is huge and bright thanks to the paint job from friends at church.  Anyway, the kitchen is my favorite.  It's funny.  In the rent house we're living in at the moment, I have an enormous kitchen, but my tiny kitchen in WI was better arranged and I had a place for everything.  I have a hard time finding a place to store stuff in this kitchen, even though it is twice as large and seems to have a lot of cabinets.  I think we just did a really good job when we did the one in WI to utilize every square inch of a kitchen that was only 6' by 8'.

Homegrown Tomatoes

glenn kangiser

Forgot I had an account there but since it's HP I tried it and it worked.  Guess I already registered.

For those who didn't here are a few of the pix.

It really came out nice, Homegrown.  More pix at the link.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks Glenn... I liked it.  I miss the loud colors and the "shiny" of it.  It made me grin just to go in there, which was good since I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  The girls keep mentioning it as the "only" thing they miss about WI.  Don't know if it'll sell well or not... afraid it might be a little too eclectic for a lot of folks. :-\  I am not so crazy about the neutral colors throughout the rental house in OK... everything is off-white.  I'll be glad to be in my own place again so I can use bright colors if I want to!