Interior trim tips.  Stain grade.

Started by PEG688, February 16, 2006, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Oh,  she made it clear that the work was very nice , no complaint about the workmanship  8-), it was about the style /look.

Sort of that knife edge a guy walks , every time you make something , a little of the maker is laid out to judgement . And the verdict can be , ah , hard on a guy.

So ya do yer best to interpet what the client wants , some times even when they don't really know  ::)

Like the Metabox thread what works well for one person can be a total bummer to the next.

Beauty , they say ::) , is in the eye of the beholder!  

"Fnding " that beauty for some one else , priceless!

glenn-k

It would have really helped if the boss clued you in about the picture.  Still nice work. :)

PEG688

Another mile stone , 5100 plus views , 52 posts.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Here's a few more pocket door photo's and installation tips . This is a good place to add them as this "sticky" thread is easy to find and getting "another "sticky is hard , Glenn likes to keep the board tidy , which I total understand .

Now these photo's where NOT taken with a thread in mind so next time I hang a pocket door frame I'll take some more "purposeful" photos to add as well.

Here's the steel studs and lower attaching hardware I screw them down they say use nails , but nails loosen and back out easier then screws . I also screw down some 3/4" x 1 1/2" cleats between the stud , it give me something to nail my base to later on and insure no dips or waves will happen in the dry wall.

Note the oblong holes in the steel stud edge , you'll be using those to attach your jamb pieces later on. 

This photo shows some 1x4 added to the trimmer stud , we didn't frame this house , we just assembled it , it was a "kit" house so the framers in Canada who framed it had the RO size screwed up . I'm glad I caught it this point or I'd have fought it when I hung the door.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the update of helpful information, PEG. 

The search function is so much better on this forum that the information should be easy to find here. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

AHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGAHHHHHHHHHH I just wrote a long post about pocket doors and the damned forum timed out on me  d* d* d*

1500 series jamb kit ,

The wood parts are labeled for door size and cut spots ,

Head jamb need cut 1 3/8" shorter than the wood parts ,

I screw the metal stubs to the head jamb , pre-bore so the wood does not split,

Plumb the stud , and square across the wall ,

The head piece goes up first using the slotted holes to help hold it up , level it across , shim where required , I do run two screw up into the header about centered in the header piece  remove  a couple of the short screw holding the track to the header , put in loner screw in those holes ,

The wheels on this brand are good the sizes may vary from  manf. to manf. so check that out as well ,

The type of lockset / handle that goes in a regular door bore ,

The studs do not have to line up with the normal wall lay out ,

As you can see the crew framed the RO's 1 1/2" to tall , better that than to short I guess >:(

glenn kangiser

Whoa --- emergency --- a time out.

Did you manage to highlight it all, copy it and save it to re-paste it in case it wasn't there when you refreshed?

Thanks for the hard work, PEG. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 11, 2008, 11:22:30 PM
Whoa --- emergency --- a time out.

Did you manage to highlight it all, copy it and save it to re-paste it in case it wasn't there when you refreshed?

Thank for the hard work, PEG. :)

No it was gone , I should know better but think "I'll get this done in five minutes , no problem!" AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! d*

glenn kangiser

PEG688

PEG688

How about ways to spice up a old , or new entry door.

This one had relights on both sides so I incorporated a Cedar trim detail that will be stained or painted to match the Mahogany door. We did price out Khaya (African Mahogany) for this job but it was twice as much for materials.

New windows where installed to replace old worn out vinyl ones.

After then new windows where installed we used small Makita skil type saw with a jig that rode the window flange to cut the siding back 2 1/2" for  the new brick molding / exterior casing.

I made a new head , sides, mullion covers ( the space between two window or a door and a window is commonly called a mullion) , the raised panels , and plinth blocks in my shop. I was lucky and found some very nice TK Cedar , that was almost clear :)

As you may have noticed they did not even paper this house , no felt , no Typar , no nuttin  :o

I Typar and Grace Vycored what could be done, this place has wide eaves , we did pull all the siding off the south wall and redid , or I guess did the Typar , vycor thing , also added some flashing where required.

I made the raised panels all the same but I figured in a added 1/2" to the height , that way I could cut off the 1/2" after I had raised the panel on the table saw , this way after the sides and rail over the panel  where applied the reveal ( space from the casing edge to the raised portion of the panel ) would be equal as a finished product. Note the panel is not rabbited into the plinth block , it is flashed with a drip edge metal.   

The door had this double raised panel detail which I matched ,

There's a glue joint in that last photo , can you see it??  :)

This one shows the Dbl raised pnl on the door,

That little nail is all that holds the panel , it can swell and move as it wants behind the rabbits that trap it in place . Wood panels need room to move with MC changes.

Pretty simple stuff , makes a nice entry door just a little better I think.   

glenn kangiser

Fancy, PEG.  Nice job.  Thanks for the details on how it is done. :)

PEG688

Thanks Glenn , no chainsaw work but it'll do I think! ;)

glenn kangiser

I can give you tips on chainsaw use if you need them. :)

Sassy

Really nice, PEG, what color are you going to stain the panels you built?  Post more pix when that's done  :)

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Very nice. Love the raised panel you fabricated.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on January 16, 2008, 11:24:11 PM

Really nice, PEG, what color are you going to stain the panels you built?  Post more pix when that's done  :)

Thanks Sassy I will be long gone before the thing gets stained I think. The homeowners doing it herself , the big major down side was last week her pilot husband came home early , he got what he thought was the flu on his far east flight route. Well it wasn't flu but a brain tumor the size of a small orange , he was flown to Harbor view and had surgery on Monday , he did come home from the hospital today , talk about treatum and streetum  :o

So I think that finish may be a low priority item , then again maybe I'll be tasked with doing it ??? If it goes that way I'll snap a photo of it.  :)

Sassy

Where do you get all your patience to do such fine work? 

Sad about the husband... you just never know
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

alcowboy

Question on the pocket doors.  I have built and hung sliding doors for barn stalls. Is this similar in concept but with the making of hollow wall for pocket in order for the door to hide? the biggest obstacle for me may be the trim out.

MountainDon

That's the concept... the door hides in the hollow wall, runs on a metal track with two roller units. The trimming is really no harder than trimming a swinging door. You hang the door on the track and when everything is working fine the finish board that the door closes against (in closed position) is installed. Then the casing trim goes on and it's done.

I haven't done one in about 15 years but back then the builder I worked for had a couple pockets in every home.  I hope my memory serves me well enough.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

alcowboy

Thanks! I'm learning. This construction stuff is really not that hard when you think it through. I will just need to stay focused, take my time and be careful when making that cut or nailing! I did forget to ask this. I have a table saw, will that work or will I need to invest in a chop saw too?

MountainDon

Quote from: alcowboy on October 22, 2008, 10:24:24 PM
will I need to invest in a chop saw too?

A good miter saw is very handy when doing work like trim. It's handy for a lot of other tasks too. It's sometimes a lot easier to move the saw blade than to move the wood.  The ones with a sliding table are especially nice though I only have a 15+ year old non sliding cast iron Ryobi.

On the other hand they used to hang a lot of really nice trim before those things became commonplace. We (my Dad and a much younger I) used handsaws for a lot of the renovating way back when.

PEG688

Quote from: alcowboy on October 22, 2008, 10:06:21 PM

Question on the pocket doors. 

the biggest obstacle for me may be the trim out.

Did you look back around post 53 on this thread I have some pocket door info.

The biggest obstacles with pocket doors , to a beginner is just about ever thing. If you follow the directions and use some of my tips along with the directions you should be able to do it.

As far a what tools you need , it depends , houses have been built with hand tools , and power tools . Either one will get it done , how fast and how well will to dependant on you.

I grade my work pretty fair, it could be better , some times it could be faster , sometimes it could be cleaner / cooler etc. I don't "settle" for close enought is good enought very often in what I do. I'm always looking to improve some thing.

So it depends on your standards and what you want to "get out of it".

I like power tools , they do clean neat work faster than hand tools for most things. Hand tools do have there place in my box, so don't get me wrong. I need both / all.   

G/L PEG   

alcowboy

Between this (attempting to build my home and acquiring tools in the process) and my working on losing weight I should be able to try out for HGTV's next "hunky carpenter".  [crz] rofl

PEG688

Bump

74 replies , 25,000 views, must be good to look at , but hard to reply to ???