Can you get a GOOD pencil anymore?

Started by MushCreek, May 18, 2013, 09:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

I use mechanical pencils a lot, but they are too fragile for construction. Where do you get a good pencil these days? I've tried the big rectangular pencils, but only have one that holds up. The rest just crumble. I bought some good ole Dixon Ticonderoga #2's, and they are no better. If I carefully sharpen them with a razor knife, they are OK, but fall apart in a pencil sharpener. I have a few old pencils with dried up erasers- probably at least 40 years old. They sharpen well and are strong enough for construction. Does anyone still make a good pencil? What do you guys use? I use Sharpie's for non-wood use, but they are too wide for nice wood work.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

flyingvan

I have a really great pencil but it's still #2
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Woodsrule

I use colored pencils - you know, the kind that come 15-20 to a box. Dark colored ones for light colored wood and the opposite for dark wood. They seem to sharpen and hold their edge better. No erasers to worry about either.

flyingvan

If you build with a lumber crayon, you're a hack building shelter.
If you build with a construction pencil, you're a laborer interested in volume.
If you use a sharpened pencil that gets re-sharpened constantly, that fits behind your ear, you care about your project.
If you make all your marks with a razor blade you're a craftsman

MushCreek

I guess I'm in category 3. My old eyes could never find a razor knife mark! BTW- Silver or gold Sharpies are handy for marking on dark surfaces, such as roofing felt.
Jay

Windpower

I use carpenter pencils for wood projects --- they seem to work well but dull pretty fast

the new push button sharpies are great for sheet metal work -- and you don't have to bother with loosing/forgetting the cap and then drying out

I like paint pens too but the lines are kind wide
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

flyingvan

I like carpenter pencils, but for some reason the lead is usually pretty broken up.  When I go to sharpen them the lead usually falls out.  Maybe they can't handle the trip to the west coast

Don_P

Carpenter's pencils, I buy them by the pack and keep them scattered all around. If someone on the job asks for a pencil you have not yet reached saturation... hunting and asking the question took more time than a pack costs. The ones they used to give you were better than the ones you buy now. They fit behind the thumb guard on the skillsaw without bending it. You might not want to know that.
I'm too rough for hex pencils when framing but my wife likes Lee Valley HB's. Port orford cedar was the wood of choice for pencils for a very long time, it's pretty rare to see it anymore. Both Dad and I have had our thumbs stitched back together when a razor hopped over a square, pay attention.

"Measured with a micrometer, marked with a crayon, cut with a chainsaw  :D"

MushCreek

I'm having the same problem with carpenter pencils (and most pencils, for that matter) the lead seems to be pre-broken. What do they do- flex all of the pencils before they ship them out? I've been trying the ones from the big box stores- maybe I need to find a better source?
Jay