Windows 7 modem

Started by Don_P, July 01, 2010, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

Well, after multiple strikes, 4 modems and finally this computer is about fried. I had to buy a new one to keep drawing a couple of projects. The thing didn't come with a phone modem and the usb one I got won't work with windows 7. A quick google didn't seem very promising. I am not a computer nerd. Anyone know where I can get decent usb phone modems for Winders 7 at a reasonable price?

MountainDon

That does seem to be a hard thing to find these days. I noticed my laptop didn't come with a builtin modem like the older one had.

I can't vouch for this one, but price is good...   ???
http://sewelldirect.com/VoiceFax-56K-USB-Modem-V90V92.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=usb%20modem%20windows%207&ad_campaign=29552133&ad_group=1021647243&ad_network=search&ad_creative=2589231603&gclid=CJGB66Dty6ICFdj75wodq1nVyg

They list Win7, both 32 and 64 bit versions
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OkieJohn2

Did you try installing the drivers from an included disc, or did you let the Operating system (Win 7) install drivers,  a quick look found that the ones that worked easily with Win 7 used the generic drivers with no problem.  Which usb modeb did you get, and do you prefer usb or is a PCI slot one OK.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

Don_P

I'm not sure if it has provision for an internal modem, its a little E machines desk model with 64 bit Win7, a real bare bones computer. I've not looked inside the case. I actually don't intend to go online with it unless this one dies, but I think it's on the way. My ISP had a Trendnet usb modem that I got without looking at it hard enough. It was not intended for Win7 and sure enough it didn't work, I used their disc. I needed a new modem for this XP machine and it is working fine on it. I have an old ME edition laptop with a fried modem and didn't know there was such a thing as a usb modem, so the trendnet modem may make that machine useable online as well.

Anyway, as I googled and read reviews it seemed like people were having trouble getting many of the usb modems to work right with Windows 7. That was the reason for my query. MD's link has the most favorable comments and is the cheapest I've seen.

OkieJohn2

The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools