winterizing a motorcycle...

Started by NM_Shooter, December 19, 2009, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm winterizing a bike tomorrow.  Probably will do my generator too.  I had planned on draining the old gas that is in it; getting fresh gas mixed with Stabil, putting a small amount of gas in to run it, then draining the carb and the tank.  Or should I rund the carb dry and leave the gas in the tank? 

I had not planned on fogging. 

I'm amazed at how quick gas goes bad.  The gas in that motorcycle was 5 months old, and it would not start.  I had to go and get fresh gas to get it to run tonight. 

Thoughts on winterizing?

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

I like to drain the tank nearly dry and give the remaining gas a healthy dose of Sea Foam. Then run it dry.

Pull the spark plug and give a couple of oil squirts down in the cylinder and crank it a few times.

Of course, I always forget to do this and wind up cleaning the carbs in the spring. >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Oh c'mon now Frank, this is NM. Winterize!! Buy warm gloves. Stuff newspaper in the front of your jacket and pants legs. And if it's a 4 stroke and the oil is kind of thick when you go to ride, because of the cold, drop a soldering iron in the tank for a while.    ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, all I ever did was get it warmed up good, drain the oil and replace it with fresh. Run the engine RPM's up a little and shut off the fuel. When it stopped I left it, disconnected the fuel hose and drained the gas. Make certain the tires were properly inflated. Remove the battery and clean the exterior. Put it on a shelf and try real hard to remember check the charge every month or so. Buy a new battery in the spring because I'd forget.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!