Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Feels good to make good progress, doesn't it?  Looking good.  We've had to replace 1 pressure tank & a pump on our well up here for the rental house & a pressure tank for the well in our valley house this year.  Those tanks weren't even 10 yrs old  >:(  Not sure how old the pump was... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

You bet Sassy!

Well I went off to Home Depot with my wife to try to find the parts needed to hook the sink drain to the grey water system...to no avail.  I need a 1 1/2 Y pipe or two and couldn't find any...hmmmm

So I went over to the BBQ section to find an ACME nut for a 5 gallon LP tank and a 1/4 pipe thread to 9/16 non pipe thread (whatever the heck it's called) adapter and could not find either...nor could I at the brass fitting section....nice...so now back to the drawing board.

I have everything EXCEPT a way to hook up my 5 gallon LP tanks and there isn't propane in the 20 gallon tanks....so either I get them filled or I find a way to make the 5 gallon tank work.

What's more, I have to decide how to get through the wall?   ???  Either I run the hose through the wall (don't want to do that really) or I get a pipe bender and flare kit and flare fittings etc and run the copper pipe through the wall to the stove and connect it to the hose outside.

Suggestions?

This weekends trip will be busy but we are excited to get back and rebuild the pump and get the kitchen installed :)

OlJarhead

Looks like I need to install some black pipe through the wall of the cabin with a connection to a flex hose for LP gas that will go to the stove and on the outside a connection to copper pipe which will go to a regulator and then to the tank -- seems you also need a regulator as the one on the stove is apparently not for the same thing but rather fine tuning -- so say the Propane experts I called.

More involved then I thought (of course) but will be right when I'm done so I can't complain I guess -- also learned there is pipe dope for gas/lp vs that which we all use for plumbing (Teflon tape) so I'll have to look at getting some.

We plan on leaving early tomorrow so I may have to find a way to get to a supply place today...even though I'm 1/2hr from home!

Redoverfarm

I was meaning to reply but have been a little busy.  I was going to suggest black iron 1/2" with a flex hose connector on the inside. You might pu a ball valve for gas as it will make it handier than having to go to the outside to turn it off at the tank not to mention that you can disconnect the appliance without loosing gas pressure and having to bleed.  They do make teflon for gas it is yellow whereas water is white.  But I used dope too meant for gas/oil. Most hardware will have the copper tubing and some (here) they will flare it for you.  Just make sure that you slip the female end over the tubing in opposite directions before you flare  d*.   

pmichelsen

Around here we use RetorSeal for gas, and we call it baby poop, kind of a yellow consistency. As mentioned above the white would be used for potable water.

OlJarhead

Thanks Guys.

I went out to KIS (Kennewick Industrial Supply) and bought a 12" piece of black iron pipe (1/2"x12" nipple), two 90's, a 5" nipple (to go inside the stove to the regulator so I don't have to bend the flex too much), 24" SS Flex pipe/hose, ball valve and dope for gas:)

Then I stopped by HD and picked up a 1/2" MIP to 3/8" MIP adapter to go to the LP tank hose and a 1/2" to 1/2" FIP to FIP adapter as well as a couple small nipples to connect 90's and valves to the pipe.

The plan is to run the 1/2"x5" nipple from the stove regulator to a 90 degree elbow and then connect the flex hose at the elbow.  The flex then goes down to the ball valve which is connected to a 90 on the 1/2"x12" BI pipe going through the wall.

On the outside I plan to use the 1/2" MIP to 3/8" flare adapter to connect the LP tank hose (with regulator -- more on that in a sec) which of course, then connects to a 5 gallon tank.

On the Peerless Premier stove there is a regulator but the Propane Gas guys locally tell me it is for fine tuning the pressure for the stove and not meant to regulate pressure coming from a tank and that I should use one at the tank also.  This doesn't matter on the 5 gallon tanks because I have hoses with ACME nuts on them but for the 20 gallon tanks I'll need to change something.  As it is I have a hose with a 9/16" type fitting that I have not been able to find an adapter for yet, and a LP tank connector for the bigger tanks but no regulator.  So I'll have to sort that out too.

While at KIS I asked about my greywater drain system and how to connect it to the sink drains etc -- because I wasn't sure really -- and they helped me out there too :)  I was able to pick up an adapter to go from the 4" pipe into the grey water settling tank to 2" pipe going to the cabin, then a 3 into 1 Y piece to connect the two sinks and bath to the drain :)

Now I just need to grab some sch35 pipe (6') and some sch40 2" and 1 1/2" pipe and I will be able to start using the grey water drain system!!! 

Yes, I'm Uber excited about this trip :)

OlJarhead

Another great weekend :)

We arrived Friday around 3PM and unloaded the truck for the weekend.  Our plans were to get the stove installed and working and then get the kitchen walls textured and primered.  We set right to it!

First we installed the kitchen stove with the black iron pipe going through the wall and all the correct fittings to hook it up to a 5 gallon tank (the 100 gallon tanks will be installed once filled).  After a minor hickup (forgot to tighten one SS flex hose fitting correctly) we had the stove piping 'soapy water' tested and with no leaks detected fired up the stove.  IT WORKS! :D  Yes, we can cook with a little more normalcy now and after two years that's kinda cool :)

Except that we could not get the oven to work still - seems maybe an electrical issue that we haven't found yet - and we need to tweak some of the burners a little more to get the mixture right.  However, for the most part we're pretty stinking happy :)

Next was to move everything and get to texturing :)  My wife loves to do that and to paint so we pretty much left her to it and assisted by shaking cans and staying out of the way :)

Saturday morning we got up early and after breakfast checked the well water level -- it was 27 feet from the top of the well to the water line!!!!! WOW!  Having the well report, which states the water level rose to 40 feet, and considering all the issues we've had with keeping water in the cistern this was encouraging.

So, with the pump down 86 feet from the top of the casing and the water down just 27 feet and knowing that we've pumped at least 45 gallons per day for ten days one should assume we'd have 450 gallons of water in the cistern right?  Wrong!  Maybe 2-3 if we were lucky :(  Something aint right.

So we pulled up the pump and rebuilt it -- and it didn't work.  d*  We tore it down again and discovered we had squished a valve, replaced it and stripped some threads in the upper housing (just too brittle it seems) and broke the electrical connector outer casing too -- just a little but clearly the plastic is deteriorating.

However, the pump worked and we were pumping water again.

200 gallons pumped and no water in the cistern worth mentioning :(  I think we have a problem that may not be the pump but I'm guessing the pump needs replacing too.  So the next step is to put in a check valve in the piping to the cistern to make sure it isn't draining back into the well (which might be why the water level was so high) and test that.

One a good note, however, we discovered as long as we were pumping water we could get lots from the cistern -- just give it 10 minutes to get ahead of you and then get all the water you want -- so there is that.  [cool]

While playing with the plump my wife was painting :)  so when we were done it was time to get busy with the cabinets -- after the paint was dry anyway.  My buddy John smiling away there -- he enjoyed helping put up the cabinets.  He's a sysadmin and this sort of thing always seems to entertain him!

So we set about getting dinner cooked and installing the kitchen cabinets -- the paint was a little soft still, but we had no time to waste.
For dinner we cooked two chickens in the Dutch oven (in about 1 1'2 inches of water) and let me tell you, if you have not tried this you should  :)  Best chicken ever!

We also tossed in home grown turnips, potatoes, scallions and parsley just for fun -- was very tasty :)

Dinner cooked, we worked -- life was good :)

The cabinets are from Home Depot.  We just decided it was the fasted way to get cabinets and my wife and I liked the natural look to them.

With such a small space we think these will make a significant improvement to overall feel.

With the first part of the counter going in my wife just couldn't resist cleaning it :)  She's in love with the 'feel' of 'her' little kitchen in the woods....I think she is planning on coming out more now ;)

Sunday morning we'd completed as much as we could with sink cut in, counters cut and test fitted, cupboards installed (but in need of some more screws here and there and the handles finished) but all in all we had a great weekend and can't wait to get back and continue.

Oh and my wife has decided she will be going out once a month now :)

JavaMan

Very nice little kitchen there!  Looks like the place is shaping up quite nicely!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 08, 2011, 12:49:55 PM
Very nice little kitchen there!  Looks like the place is shaping up quite nicely!

Also forgot to mention that my wife brought up more curtains she'd been working on and the place is staying very cool throughout most of the day.  We arrived around 3pm and it was over 80 out but the cabin was still only about 70 inside :D

I never saw it go above 78 when it was mid to high 80's outside and my wife loved it!  Truth is, I didn't mind at all either ;)  I hate the heat and can see that once the work is done the cabin will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter :)  I love it!

JavaMan

I certainly hope I can get Beautiful up to my/our place once the building is complete.  She's not a "High Desert" kind of gal, even tho it's not really high desert - I think it's just that she doesn't like the heat.  And I can't blame her for that - I don't like it either!

I've even got a window that I can hang an AC unit in, if I have to, but I'm hoping that simply enough shade will help out tremendously.

Then, I've got to put in a well... I have a plan for a pool up there, but I need the water!

mogie01

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 08, 2011, 01:57:08 PM
I certainly hope I can get Beautiful up to my/our place once the building is complete.  She's not a "High Desert" kind of gal, even tho it's not really high desert - I think it's just that she doesn't like the heat.  And I can't blame her for that - I don't like it either!

I've even got a window that I can hang an AC unit in, if I have to, but I'm hoping that simply enough shade will help out tremendously.

Then, I've got to put in a well... I have a plan for a pool up there, but I need the water!

Heat?  What heat?  You saw the whole "no higher then 78" right?  Usually it's in the 60's -- 60 in the AM when we get up to have coffee and 68-70 when we go to bed.  I think it might even drop into the 50's in the dead of night but I don't think so.

Bear in mind this is without all the insulation and the roof isn't insulated except the top 18".  Once done I expect we'll keep a cool 65 degrees inside the cabin most days July and August...the rest of the year we will likely need to heat it up in the AM when having coffee :)

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

Quote from: Sassy on August 08, 2011, 03:49:28 PM
Very nice kitchen! 

Thanks Sassy :)  My wife pretty much decides on decorating, design and style and I just do the work ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 08, 2011, 03:23:42 PM
Heat?  What heat?  You saw the whole "no higher then 78" right?  Usually it's in the 60's -- 60 in the AM when we get up to have coffee and 68-70 when we go to bed.  I think it might even drop into the 50's in the dead of night but I don't think so.

Bear in mind this is without all the insulation and the roof isn't insulated except the top 18".  Once done I expect we'll keep a cool 65 degrees inside the cabin most days July and August...the rest of the year we will likely need to heat it up in the AM when having coffee :)

Yeah, that's this year... or maybe it's because my place is further south and west of yours...  rofl  But the year she went up with me, the second time we went, the temp in Omak hit 100+  [shocked] ... and it was still about 85/90 up on the mountain.  The Nights were nice, tho - into the low 60's. But I don't think she's managed to get over that one, very hot, week.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 08, 2011, 04:58:40 PM
Yeah, that's this year... or maybe it's because my place is further south and west of yours...  rofl  But the year she went up with me, the second time we went, the temp in Omak hit 100+  [shocked] ... and it was still about 85/90 up on the mountain.  The Nights were nice, tho - into the low 60's. But I don't think she's managed to get over that one, very hot, week.

For us each year has gotten cooler but I understand.  Funny thing though, we haven't seen triple digits yet this year that I know of, that THAT is amazing since we had 9 in a row ten years ago!

OlJarhead

Did a little reading on my well problem and it seems the issue may well be the Frost Free.  It seems these were not designed to be used the way I have been using mine and it's possible there is damage to the valve.  I can test apparently by putting my thumb over the spigot hole and seeing if there is a vacuum suction when i shut it off.  If not then the valve is damaged.

If the valve is not working properly it would allow the cistern to drain into the french drain below the spigot -- though I would think I'd see some signs of this??

Anyway, that's one thing I'll check, the other is to install a check valve at the head off the pipe leading to the cistern and finally to check the cistern itself to see if it might have any cracks, holes or other possible issues....sooner or later though, I'll figure it out.

Redoverfarm

OJ noticed the range.  It looks as if there is a clock/timer on the face.   If so there might be an electronic ignition to the oven.  My range which was I ordered and is in but since there is no HD locally I will have to have someone pick it up for me.  It is the 30" with pilot oven and no electric.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 08, 2011, 06:03:48 PM
OJ noticed the range.  It looks as if there is a clock/timer on the face.   If so there might be an electronic ignition to the oven.  My range which was I ordered and is in but since there is no HD locally I will have to have someone pick it up for me.  It is the 30" with pilot oven and no electric.

It's electronic ignition all around -- the top works great but the light and electric ignition in the oven doesn't work...I haven't had a chance to test any leads yet though.  I'm sure it's just a loose connector somewhere.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 08, 2011, 05:10:36 PM
For us each year has gotten cooler but I understand.  Funny thing though, we haven't seen triple digits yet this year that I know of, that THAT is amazing since we had 9 in a row ten years ago!

Well, I know that the last few years, since that summer (2008, I think) have all been cooler.  And I am sure that it's been cooler up at my place this year, too (I've been watching the weather data at Loup Loup pass which is about 10 miles or less from the place) i just haven't had a chance to get there yet.  Hopefully later this month or early Sept.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 09, 2011, 10:15:43 AM
Well, I know that the last few years, since that summer (2008, I think) have all been cooler.  And I am sure that it's been cooler up at my place this year, too (I've been watching the weather data at Loup Loup pass which is about 10 miles or less from the place) i just haven't had a chance to get there yet.  Hopefully later this month or early Sept.

Well I hope you make it up there soon!

I hope to be there next weekend (not this coming but the one after) or the one after that.  I only go up, typically, twice a month but might have some maintenance going on next weekend so won't be able to head up...

I'm also thinking 4 days this next trip so I can get some serious work done!  Been slacking TOO much lately.

Barry Broome

Is that a propane refrigerator in the kitchen?
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

OlJarhead

Quote from: Weasel on August 10, 2011, 07:25:42 PM
Is that a propane refrigerator in the kitchen?

Nope.  It's an electric with no freezer.  Uses about 500 watt hours per day give or take, so it runs fine on our solar power.

Squirl

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 10, 2011, 04:56:58 PM
Well I hope you make it up there soon!

I hope to be there next weekend (not this coming but the one after) or the one after that.  I only go up, typically, twice a month but might have some maintenance going on next weekend so won't be able to head up...

I'm also thinking 4 days this next trip so I can get some serious work done!  Been slacking TOO much lately.
Slacking? I've never seen you slacking in any of the posts!  you're a machine!