Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 15, 2010, 12:17:14 AM
Quote from: JavaMan on April 14, 2010, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 13, 2010, 07:10:00 PM
Good point Don -- I'll check locally to see what's natural and does well (since it's 160 miles north of where we live).

Jusst took the plunge and bought the Centrex 2000 AC/DC Sun Mar Composting Toilet system.  Pretty spendy at $2300 (with toilet and shipping) but we want an 'indoor' bathroom and this seemed to be the best option.

I'll be installing the unit outside of the cabin in it's own enclosure.  I MAY install it under the cabin (that was the original plan and part of the reason for the height off the ground) but Have to figure out the best way to get the vent stack up without running it through the roof as well as providing room to clean out the compost etc etc.

So where did you purchase it from? I just received info from CTS in Newport as I am thinking of something similar for the cabin(s) I plan on building eventually

Kaylx.com

Price wasn't too bad and the shipping was exceptable.

Thanks, I'll take a look over there.  The pricing that I received yesterday isn't too much different than what you paid - maybe a little more - but they are somewhat local, and I an trying to get info from them on any tips they may have to permitting, etc... in WA, since they are in this state.

There is a place over in your neck of the woods but their pricing was higher then suggested retail so I was a bit pissed.  That's why I went with the NY company.

I paid $2325 which included the 2000 AC/DC model, 510 Sealand toilet and $150 for shipping.  Will be coming straight from SunMar

Only thing I have to do is provide the pipe and the seat mountain flange I guess (need to reread that and try to understand why).

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 15, 2010, 10:33:20 AM
Quote from: JavaMan on April 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 15, 2010, 12:17:14 AM
Quote from: JavaMan on April 14, 2010, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 13, 2010, 07:10:00 PM
Good point Don -- I'll check locally to see what's natural and does well (since it's 160 miles north of where we live).

Jusst took the plunge and bought the Centrex 2000 AC/DC Sun Mar Composting Toilet system.  Pretty spendy at $2300 (with toilet and shipping) but we want an 'indoor' bathroom and this seemed to be the best option.

I'll be installing the unit outside of the cabin in it's own enclosure.  I MAY install it under the cabin (that was the original plan and part of the reason for the height off the ground) but Have to figure out the best way to get the vent stack up without running it through the roof as well as providing room to clean out the compost etc etc.

So where did you purchase it from? I just received info from CTS in Newport as I am thinking of something similar for the cabin(s) I plan on building eventually

Kaylx.com

Price wasn't too bad and the shipping was exceptable.

Thanks, I'll take a look over there.  The pricing that I received yesterday isn't too much different than what you paid - maybe a little more - but they are somewhat local, and I an trying to get info from them on any tips they may have to permitting, etc... in WA, since they are in this state.

There is a place over in your neck of the woods but their pricing was higher then suggested retail so I was a bit pissed.  That's why I went with the NY company.

I paid $2325 which included the 2000 AC/DC model, 510 Sealand toilet and $150 for shipping.  Will be coming straight from SunMar

Only thing I have to do is provide the pipe and the seat mountain flange I guess (need to reread that and try to understand why).

Looking through the literature I got yesterday, I noticed that some of the pictures show the vent pipe exiting the crawlspace/basement before reaching the level of the floor above - specifically on Pages 16 and 17 of the SunMar catalog (covering the various Centrax 2000 models), so it looks like it can be done.  I would think that it would have to be affixed to the building/house/cabin on the outside in some way so it wouldn't get blown away on that rare windy day.

SkagitDrifter

Sounds like a pretty good deal.
I have been kicking aroung the idea of a composting head from Sun Mar, in fact I think I looked at the same one you just ordered (the non-electric model).  I put the breaks on after I read somewhere that the composting or breakdown of the waste material comes to a grinding halt when temperatures dip below 55-60 degrees.  I have not done enough resrearch to know if that is true.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In our case, we'll only use the cabin a few times in the winter months, having waste sit in sub freezing tempertures will not be a big deal.  It's the spring and fall months that I wonder about.

You got the wheels turning OJ, good job- you're getting me pumped to get over there and get to work again after a long winter.  Talk is they may open the N. Cascade pass by this weekend- we can only hope.
All the best!
T
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on April 15, 2010, 12:31:25 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal.
I have been kicking aroung the idea of a composting head from Sun Mar, in fact I think I looked at the same one you just ordered (the non-electric model).  I put the breaks on after I read somewhere that the composting or breakdown of the waste material comes to a grinding halt when temperatures dip below 55-60 degrees.  I have not done enough resrearch to know if that is true.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In our case, we'll only use the cabin a few times in the winter months, having waste sit in sub freezing tempertures will not be a big deal.  It's the spring and fall months that I wonder about.

You got the wheels turning OJ, good job- you're getting me pumped to get over there and get to work again after a long winter.  Talk is they may open the N. Cascade pass by this weekend- we can only hope.
All the best!
T

50-55 is what I understand the bottom temp range is but also why I bought the AC/DC model.  I want to use the internal heater element to aid in the composting.

I've read that they use them in Alaska but that they do so by providing heat for them when in use.

Don found that his didn't work so well at the elevation (and cold) he's in but the waste can freeze all winter just fine as long as when it thaws it gets rotated and can then compost.

but this is why I'm putting in a Privy too :D

Solar Burrito

I've got one in my outhouse the non-electric model. We mostly use it during the summer so it works for us but I can tell you the composting does slow down during the winter. It's the least smelling out house people have ever used. ladies like it. I think the #1 goes out the back into some kind of drain field? I don't know because i didn't install it.

It's got 2 swappable containers inside that you can switch if the active one needs more "compost time" before you dump it out. Only one container is active at a time.

I can tell you we had a party with 50 people one memorial day weekend and a band off the grid. That thing really got some use and it was fine. In fact I haven't dumped it since after that weekend, it was 1 years ago. It's due and I'm sure the bucket behind it is composted.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OlJarhead

All work and no play....

My son riding up 'The Hill'.  I took the jeep down and then back up it also :)

Great fun!

OlJarhead

Getting there!  I'll try to post more soon.

JavaMan

Looking good!  I was anxiously awaiting your post - hoping for a bit of a snow (or lack thereof) report.  It looks like you didn't have any snow on the ground this trip - that's great.

I'm planning on heading up to my place the first weekend in May (leaving on April 30th) and hope to actually break ground for the first building! 

What did you get completed this trip?

OlJarhead

No snow!  In fact it hit 80 during the day in the sun :)  Of course as soon as the sun hid behind trees it dropped to 70 -- even 60 at times -- it was PERFECT!

Man it was so awesome I hated to leave!!!  What's worse?  I forgot I'd taken Monday off too...DOH!  Ahh well.

Back was hurting to stayed off the roof and got the windows in instead.  Also completed most of the felt paper on the walls and finished a lot of 'back framing' stuff (nailing off forgotten things mostly).

And played a little in the Jeep and ATV's too....what an awesome weekend! :D  Geez, I wish I'd not forgotten that I had put myself down for Monday too....what's even worse?  I make the darn schedule! hahahaha I'm the dang boss....ahhh well...next time!

OlJarhead

Getting rigged up for some work up high :)

OK the window is installed now so we decided a shot of my friend standing in the small loft for reference.

The Big Loft :)

Windows in!

The back side :)

JavaMan

Wow! It looks like you're going to be able to finish almost any weekend, now!  [cool]

Then you'll be up there, sitting on the deck, enjoying a cool one  :)

Did ya see any wildlife this time? Turkeys, etc...? I'm hoping I see a few up at my place.

I was a Lowes last night to buy a drain auger, and picked up a few of the solar "path lights" for $4 each - I figure, no power on the property, but I can have some sort of lighting so I can find my way in the dark, if I have to  ;D  I liked them because the battery is an 'AA' sized rechargeable and is easily replaced so it's not "planned obsolescence"

Hmmm, that reminds me, I should fire up the genset to make sure it's in operating order.

If you're going to be up there the first weekend in May, let me know, we can meet in Omak or Riverside and have a beer and swap stories.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 20, 2010, 10:07:40 AM
Wow! It looks like you're going to be able to finish almost any weekend, now!  [cool]

Then you'll be up there, sitting on the deck, enjoying a cool one  :)

Did ya see any wildlife this time? Turkeys, etc...? I'm hoping I see a few up at my place.

I was a Lowes last night to buy a drain auger, and picked up a few of the solar "path lights" for $4 each - I figure, no power on the property, but I can have some sort of lighting so I can find my way in the dark, if I have to  ;D  I liked them because the battery is an 'AA' sized rechargeable and is easily replaced so it's not "planned obsolescence"

Hmmm, that reminds me, I should fire up the genset to make sure it's in operating order.

If you're going to be up there the first weekend in May, let me know, we can meet in Omak or Riverside and have a beer and swap stories.

Had 4 deer come through while we were taking a break.  They came up not 100 feet from behind the cabin and walked casually past us and up the hill.

Earlier we'd seen about 20+ throughout the area.

The bear hasn't been around or the cougar so not sure where they are but we did smell garbage Saturday night so it's possible a bruin was cruising past upwind from us.  I'm told by the neighbors that there is a 400 pounder hanging out around them -- they are on the next hill less then a mile away.

No turkey's though :(  But I had my 870 just in case :)  Saw a grouse though and LOTS of grouse mating calls/thumps which is good.  I'm hopeful they have a great mating season :D :D

Not sure which weekends we will be up right not but not this coming :(  Need to heal (back was out a bit) and do some gardening so probably the next and perhaps can manage the 1st weekend of May too :D  Wouldn't mind stopping at the shop in Omak that makes the great milkshakes!

OlJarhead

Going to have a LOT more time to work on the cabin now ;)

Just got 'riffed' from my job :(

Been here FIVE years and literally built the company but I've been phased out so to speak.

Getting a good separations package and all and we prepared for this over the last few years (because life is what it is) so now I'll spend a little more time working to complete the cabin :)

And looking for work of course!  ;)

Hey, how many Nationally Telecommunications Companies run their Network Operations Centers out of Tonasket? hahahahaha

JavaMan

Sorry to hear that, jarhead ... Glad you got a good severance, tho - that takes some of the sting off, huh?

I'm sure you'll find something fairly quickly - I know I've seen a lot of ads for network people on line.  The first shake in Omak is on me then  ;)

Yonderosa

Bummer 'bout the job.  Seems like a sign of the times, I have a bunch of friends and family members that are "underemployed" right now.  I've been lucky so far, fairly steady comparatively but I've even been practicing my "do you want fries with that" line just in case...
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

MountainDon

Sorry to hear that news.  :(  Best of luck of finding something rewarding.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys!

I may have an opportunity already :)  Our sales director mentioned to an old colleague of mine that I'm on the market and he's asked that I send my resume to him so he can see if he can slot me in somewhere!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D

JavaMan

That's the way it works these day - a lot!  Hopefully they'll be able to put you into a spot  :D  Meanwhile, what are you doing at the keyboard, shouldn't you be driving up there, or picking up supplies, or something to get it done before you have to go back to work!??! :)

Yeah, it's easy for me to say - and I would have done that myself, if it hadn't been for the idea that I had to actually look for a job, and didn't have money coming in for all those supplies.  One of the most frustrating things for me is not having time (while working), but having the money, then when not working, having the time, but no money for it....   Which is why I put together a building fund savings account  ;D

Speaking of which, I have an interview myself this morning ... gotta go study  :)

OlJarhead

Good luck on the interview!

I'm actually still working (sorta).  I'm employed until the 14th of May since it's a RIF and not a layoff/firing.

I'll get a good separation agreement and my stocks etc so that's going to help and my wife and I worked pretty hard to pay the bills and get ourselves in a better financial spot (doing things like saying no to a new ATV for the property and such).

I also run a website kinda like this one which is recognized as one of the top sites in the world for it's field..and that helps me out by paying for the cabin :D

OlJarhead

ANyone know a good source of Chimney parts?  I'm pricing out what I'll need and locally from the stove to the cover will run about $1600 -- I'm hoping I can get that down a little.

Thoughts?

I've got 14' of SS 6" pipe to run, plus a T, T support, roof support, flashing, extender, wall thimble and more.

SkagitDrifter

Great pricing and service.  I got all my pipe and fittings from them and saved $ even with the freight charge.
Good luck.

http://www.lindemannchimney.com/
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out!

I just got a call that our Composting toilet arrives tomorrow!  I'm very excited!  I can get it up to the cabin THIS WEEKEND then :D :D :D

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 27, 2010, 11:52:09 AM

I just got a call that our Composting toilet arrives tomorrow!  I'm very excited!  I can get it up to the cabin THIS WEEKEND then :D :D :D

Sweet!  That was pretty fast turnaround on your order!

Shakes in Omak on Saturday!  :)

I am planning on leaving at o-dark-thirty on Friday morning  d* and spending the weekend working until I run out of steam, run out of things to do, or just run out  ;)  The plan is to drop a bunch of stuff at the Ranch, and head for the building supply in Okanogan (if they have what I want - gotta call 'em tomorrow) and get back up there and working.

Saturday would be a good day for shakes or coffee, or what not in Omak since I will have to head in to the HD (and wally world) for more supplies

diyfrank

What time will you be coming through Omak? We'll be hitting the Starbucks on our way through Saturday morning around 7:00. c*
I'm bringing a load of plywood over and I have some tree's I need to plant.
Home is where you make it

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 27, 2010, 04:49:37 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on April 27, 2010, 11:52:09 AM

Sweet!  That was pretty fast turnaround on your order!

Shakes in Omak on Saturday!  :)

I am planning on leaving at o-dark-thirty on Friday morning  d* and spending the weekend working until I run out of steam, run out of things to do, or just run out  ;)  The plan is to drop a bunch of stuff at the Ranch, and head for the building supply in Okanogan (if they have what I want - gotta call 'em tomorrow) and get back up there and working.

Saturday would be a good day for shakes or coffee, or what not in Omak since I will have to head in to the HD (and wally world) for more supplies

Might be able to swing that.  I'm going up Friday afternoon and then might be feeling the need for a break in the afternoon on Sat.