Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Dave C.

Thanks for all your posts and updates. You have inspired me and given me ideas for my future build. Thanks again, Dave

Tom

I came across this site yesterday and I've enjoyed a few hours of reading and looking at the pictures.
I'm sure that you're drowning in compliments, so I'll point out a major flaw in your cabin. If I owned this place, I'd cry like a baby everytime I had to leave. That's the only flaw I can find, but it's a big one.

I can imagine the pride you must feel when you lay in bed at night, knowing that the roof over your head came from your own sweat and your wits.

My blood pressure goes down just looking at the tranquility of your cabin.

I'll bet anything that your dad and grandpa are smiling down on you.

Nice job!

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Beaglr

I have enjoyed watching your progress with the cabin, I started mine a couple months ago and have started a website showing my progress. Thanks for all your great pics and for the ideas that you have gave me. The website is: WWW.MICHALANE.COM

yankeeredneck

I have just started being a member of this forum. I use to live in NH until about 4 years ago. I still have family up there. It just goes to show you that with support, family and friends, you can do anything. I am going to start building my own house in the up coming year. I hope to accomplish my goal of finishing it in 3 years. You guys inspire more and more people everyday. Coming from the construction field myself, I know that it will take alot of time, sweat, alittle money, and pure determination to accomplish my 24x40 2 story home in 3 years.
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

Redoverfarm

Quote from: yankeeredneck on July 21, 2010, 07:44:09 PM
I have just started being a member of this forum. I use to live in NH until about 4 years ago. I still have family up there. It just goes to show you that with support, family and friends, you can do anything. I am going to start building my own house in the up coming year. I hope to accomplish my goal of finishing it in 3 years. You guys inspire more and more people everyday. Coming from the construction field myself, I know that it will take alot of time, sweat, alittle money, and pure determination to accomplish my 24x40 2 story home in 3 years.

w* w*  But I think you have things mixed up.  Lot of time, Lots of sweat. LOTS OF MONEY. and Lots of determination. But what a ride.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

yankeeredneck

Well, alittle compared to what it does cost to build around here. The average cost of a house of 1500-2000 sqft is around $400,000. We figured around $40-60k for our house. A small amount in comparision.
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

apiratelooksat40

This cabin (well, ok....this one specifically and MANY others on the site) is what finally has me jumping off the fence as a lurker - about a year change now - and really looking forward to building our own Camp/Cabin.  My sister lives not far from where I expect this place is, and each time we go to visit, I look around me, wondering if I just drove past its location.....

I hope to incorporate what I've learned by watching the construction of each of your Prides and Joys, and know I'll learn much much more before I'm finished with our Northern NH Getaway.

You're all great crafts(people) and a wealth of information.
Last Night....
I Shot 6 Holes in my Freezer
I think I've got Cabin Fever
Somebody Sound the Alarm....

apiratelooksat40

I just had to comment here again on this project.

Dave and I managed to get together via email, and met at his camp this past weekend.  He an Alex were kind enough to invite me over to see the property, systems, and camp, and share with us all the successes and challenges they had throughout.  I can sum the visit up in 2 words....THANKS, and WOW

Many of us have admired (through lurking or posting) the details and craftsmanship that went into this cabin, but all of the images and descriptions here pale in comparison to having actually had the opportunity to see it first hand, and pick the owner's brain.

Dave, Alex, you had resourceful solutions to issues I'd have never thought would crop up (water challenges, 12-V/Power challenges, toilet challenges, security - both from 2 and 4 legged visitors, challenging "neighbors").  The best part of the visit was that my wife was with me, and I can now truly say I have a partner in our dream.  You both showed her exactly what she needed to see in terms of scale, comfort, and security in just an hour or so that I've been trying to show her through plans, images, and stories for the last couple of years.  She's looking forward to our next visit to our site to help with clearing, setting up batter boards, stringing, etc.  I truly appreciate your willingness to share your experience and sanctuary with us, and will definitely be in-touch in the future for advice - and of course to reciprocate with an invite for a visit to our site when its more than a few paint marks and fallen trees along.

~Cheers!
Last Night....
I Shot 6 Holes in my Freezer
I think I've got Cabin Fever
Somebody Sound the Alarm....

apl.1984

Thanks for the compliments I'm glad you guys liked it. I can't wait to see yours once finished. I'm glad  we could help you wife visualize what your trying to build. And any questions feel free to email me or Dave.
this is for you pepere

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

timj

I don't know if anybody is still watching this post or not, but just wanted to say thanks for all the extra effort it took to keep posting pictures and updates on your build. I am just starting a 20X20 that is designed EXACTLY like this on the outside. The only difference will be identical porches on both the front and the back. It was awesome to actaully see the future and be able to show the wife just what it will look like when finished. Same siding, same porch, same roof....etc. etc.

Beautiful job, hope mine turns out anywhere near as nice.

Tim

dmlsr

No trouble. It was helpful to us to , to see what people would think about what we did and how we did it

Dave

Thank you for looking
Dave

timj

Dave,
Any chance of posting a drawing of your floor plan? Would love to see it.

Tim

dmlsr

I send a pic of my head. No plans.  What would you like to know?

Dave

Thank you for looking
Dave

timj

How about listing each room with the dementions. I am building the exact same cabin, but on a 20X20 foot print. As you enter the front, the right 1/4 will be living area, the rear 1/4, kitchen. On the left, the front 1/4 bathroom and utility room, and the rear left a bedroom. The left half will have a loft for grand kids to stay in. I am just wondering if there are better ways or suggestions.

Thanks, Tim

dmlsr

It is pretty much all open. When you come in the front door the kitchen is on your right. From front wall back it is 8 feet. Across it is about the came. To make it feel like a diff. Room we put in diff flooring. To the left is the dinning room. It is about the same size. We ran the wood on the walls diff to give that the feel of a diff room. The bath room is in the back right corner. I think it 6x6. The rest is all open. The lofts are 20x8.
This is where i would do a little diff if i was to do again. I would use 2x6x12 for the walls so it would give you more head room upstairs .

Thank you for looking
Dave

timj

Great info....thanks for getting back with me.
Tim

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

ColchesterCabin

I am not sure of how I have missed this thread in all my lurking and posting but I just want to say awesome work. Recently I have started my own build project and reviewing projects like this makes me not only look forward to keep going on mine but envision through someone else pictures the possibilities. I found this thread very inspirational!
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Swamphunter

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a desire to see pics of this awesome cabin completed? Man I keep hoping it gets updated... 

Remington760-308

I saw your post last fall. We loved watching it transform.. My wife and I purchased some land in Nov-Dec in upper NH. We are building a 20x24 with 1/2 loft made from Pines from our property. I cut them down and had a portable sawmill come and make appr.150  d-logs plus all my flooring - beams - rafters - and 1 by for trim and ceiling- and material for porch. I have shopped around for closed cell insulation for floor and ceiling. Found some used windows. Bought a good sized wood stove. 

I was wondering what you guys shot this year from camp?
AWESOME JOB>>
ANY THING YOU DO DIFFERENT/CHANGE?

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12608.msg168940#msg168940

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

Starvin