Prowler's 2 1/2 story in Saskatchewan

Started by Prowler, January 06, 2010, 11:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prowler

I can't get enough of this site. The more I read, the more I wish I had found you guys before
I started. Oh well, better late than never.

I have some more pictures of the progress on my place. We finished the siding finally.

This summer, I added a roof over the front entrance. Now I won't get wet when opening up
if it is raining. Also, I won't have to shovel my way into the front door if we get up
there in the winter.

How's it look?

I also found a deal on 3 used US-64 solar panels. Now I have 4 hooked up but more work needs to be done on that system.

Oh yeah, I also got a booster for the cell phone. I went from "no service" to 3 bars.
Very happy  about that. Thanks for looking.

Prowler

Oh, by the way, if you missed it, here is the thread regarding
the beginning of the build.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7913.0

considerations

Just cause you just found us doesn't mean you can't stay and play.  The more the merrier, and your experience can be of great value to the unskilled, such as myself.

Prowler

I can't believe I forgot I already posted these pictures in the general forum.  :-[
Oh well, now they are in the right place also. Sorry.

Pine Cone

Looks pretty darn nice from here ;)   Thanks for posting!

So tell us about those stairs... looks like some smallish metal bits in there...

As for foundation piers, looks like there are 3 on a side, but I can't tell exactly how you did them.  I see a bunch of concrete blocks stacked together.  Is there more concrete and morter in there as well?

And then the last question since I am grappling with it on my own cabin, what did you do for insulation under the floor?

Prowler

Yeah, not too happy with the stairs. I picked up those metal stringers at the lumber yard
and I think they were a mistake. Far too much bounce for my liking. I am either going to add a third
stringer in the middle or do something completely different. The only good thing about them is they won't
rot.

Piers are side by side blocks, stacked alternate directions, filled with concrete with rebar bent in an inverted
"U" shape dropped down through the blocks. The top bends cross and I have a 4" cap poured on each pier.

I have 3-4 ft under my floor so I put fiberglass batts in from below then screwed plywood to the bottom of the joists.

MountainDon

I used some metal stair risers for some deck stairs a few years ago. When we modified things a little and installed some extra risers on 12 inch centers they were quite solid.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

[cool]  Good work Prowler. Nice proportions and very clean looking.   
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida