Just how straight is kiln dried lumber?

Started by lacazet2k, March 10, 2020, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacazet2k

So, we finally got some land. And got it paid off. Now it's time to buckle down and settle on a house plan on details. Is kiln dried whitewood straighter than SYP? Is it worth the extra money? The reason I'm asking is because I want 12-14 foot sidewalls for a little extra headroom upstairs rather than building a short pony wall on a platform upstairs (I'm told that would create a "hinge-point"). I'm trying to get an estimate of how much lumber and how much money it'll take to frame up a 20x24 or 24x24 building.

Don_P

Hmmm... where to begin. They will both more than likely be kiln dried to 19% moisture content. The wood will finally be at equilibrium moisture content with the local environment somewhere between 8-12%. Wood moves mainly due to changes in moisture content. Denser stronger woods generally move more than less dense weaker woods. SYP is denser and stronger than SPF.

As to the rest of that, at the top of those extended sidewalls is a roof that needs to be properly tied or supported, hinge or not, those studs will not stop the spreading thrust of an improperly conceived roof system. Post a section pic of your thoughts.

paul s

Some good thinking, I am now looking at off grid properties, and am thinking of building a 12x36 shed roof 'cabin'.

I want rodent proof floor.  So... double the bottom wall plate, floor is joists and 3/4 " plywood.  On top of floor is laid 3/4" rigid foam insulation,  on top of that another 3/4" layer of plywood.not a big r  value but a continuous  one.  Thoughts on this please.

Ty

Paul

Don_P

Certainly better than an uninsulated floor. I've done that with a plank and beam second floor in a timberframe house to help control sound. In my climate to meet energy codes with continuous insulation I believe it would take R-10 which would be 1-1/2" thick xps but any insulation is better than no insulation and if this is a seasonal small building that certainly factors in.

paul s

paul s

With this stay at home thing. Been really thinking,  and rethinking.
And I am thinking 16x16, gable roof,5/12 roof truss.
Not sure weather precut studs for 8' or 9' ceilings..

Less cutting = faster  building,

My dad built 5 cabins in his day. Biggest was  24x36
Always divisible  by 4!!

I know I still have to cut, crown and inspect each piece of wood, .

I would like bigger but going to keep it very simple.

I can add on later.

Paul

Don_P

QuoteI can add on later.
With those wall heights and a shallow roof pitch you are certainly limited in addition options/methods, plan for that carefully.

paul s

Good point, what ever I have, will be smallish.

Ty