Time clocks

Started by PEG688, November 29, 2007, 11:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Anyone else noticed the  total time logged in counter? Is that  a good thing ??? Knowing who much time a guy , or gal  ::) has spent logged in  :o :o

On another time clock note , why does the forum clock show a 24 hour type clock along with a AM / PM. Civilians drive me nuts ! There is no 0800 "PM"

Must be some computer gink logic  [noidea'   ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

It may be a bit goofy but you can change that. :)

Go to your Profile/preferences/time format- click the options button - 3rd? one down says Army time -- (Can a Navy guy do that?)  I think they meant military time.  Click that -- click change profile at the bottom.

I should be here until at least 2300 hours, Sir. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

But thats my bedtime past as it will be 0200 hrs here. Dealt with that for 25-1/2 years.  Good system I think everything should be based on Military time.  There is no confusion with that system. Did you say AM or PM?

PEG688

Thanks Glenn I changed a few other things as well while I was in there.

Army time  ::) yup civilians ya gotta love um , either that or killum  :o  ;)

So no comments on the how much time we , ah wast,,,,,,,,,,,,ah I mean spend here d*

MountainDon

24 hour clock is good, no misunderstanding at to what time it really is.

Years ago, back in Canada, when the country was going metric, I proposed a Metric Clock.  :o Ten hours to a morning, 10 hours to the afternoon, 100 minutes to an hour, 100 seconds to the minute.     ::)  A total reinvention of time.  ???

Made as much sense to me as changing from feet/inches and pounds/ounces.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

That was bugging me, too, PEG.  When we 1st changed over on the forum, I said to Glenn, they should be putting military time if they are going to have the extra "0" there - looked stupid. 

Here's one for ya, for probably the 1st 10 yrs I worked at the Veterans Hospital we had civilian time - all the civilian hospitals had military time, go figure  ??? d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Time logged in does not necessarily mean time spent being alert here. I can easily leave the browser tab open to countryplans.com and not even be in the same room for a couple hours; one of the bad habits developed by a solid DSL connection.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'm half asleep here -- only getting about 5 hours a night lately  -- more to come soon I hope.  That's probably why I'm crazy.[crz]

I don't know if I want to know how much time I'm here -- at least 5 hrs per day most of the time.

Being alert here, Don -- Me -- never. ;D

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 29, 2007, 11:52:27 PM
I'm half asleep here -- only getting about 5 hours a night lately  -- more to come soon I hope.  That's probably why I'm crazy.[crz]

I don't know if I want to know how much time I'm here -- at least 5 hrs per day most of the time.

Being alert here, Don -- Me -- never. ;D

Humm Maybe !

I wonder if that little feature can be gottin rid of? 

It's a culmitive clock isn't it?  As in total time spent , it doesn't reset each day does it ? I know I haven't been logged in today for 6 hours and change :o  :o  :o

glenn kangiser

Yeah - cumulative -doesn't reset from what I've seen.  I don't know about getting rid of it per individual choice.  I can check and get back to you.

John Raabe

I spent a little time on the SMF forum today trying to see how to take out the cumulative clock. It doesn't look good. :-[

Probably somebody's neat idea that seemed cool for the fist few weeks. :-\
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on November 29, 2007, 11:46:46 PM

Time logged in does not necessarily mean time spent being alert here. I can easily leave the browser tab open to countryplans.com and not even be in the same room for a couple hours; one of the bad habits developed by a solid DSL connection.

Sure Mt D is that what you tell your wife when she sez "Why do you waste / spend  (either word works  ;D) on that forum !"  rofl 

MountainDon

Well so far she hasn't looked or noticed the time.... 2 days, 3 hrs, .....     Yikes!

However, if all else fails the total time logged in can be made to go away by going into your profile and selecting the "Look and layout Preferences" in the Modify Profile section. Then find the "Current Theme" line (first item) and click on the (change) link. Select the Classic YaBB SE Theme set. You will have a different look, but no clock.

glenn kangiser

I'm not sure but I think if you are not active within 15 minutes, it doesn't count.  It says active within the last 15 minutes on the member online report at the bottom, and I have my computer on way more than what is reported.

MountainDon

You're right on that Glenn. I've been keeping an eye on that time counter and it doesn't seem to add up when the site is just sitting there idle. I guess I can't use that excuse anymore.  :( The 15 minutes can also be adjusted by an administrator, but there's no point in that really.

glenn kangiser

Well, if you check the stats, you are right behind me so I don't feel too lonely.  Thanks for watching my back. ;D

Redoverfarm

Don going back to your conversation with Sassy on 11/29 concerning military time on the board.  Do you thinnk it appears that way becuse of the Members Summary "Statistics" show in Military time.

MountainDon

I'm not really sure.
1. I don't have acces to the administrative side of the forum details like the default settings for colors, what smilies to use, and so on.
2. I have personally customized a number of things, like colors and time settings so I'm not even sure what the defaults are anymore. (I have my own forum setup using military time (called army by the code writers))

glenn kangiser

Time option is variable in your profile for appearance though.  Select Army Time as Don mentioned.

Redoverfarm

I actually like the military time.  I was just making the comment that it is apprioate for the graph of frequency used under members statistics in the Summary section.