Basement Versus Post Foundation

Started by VannL, July 07, 2012, 09:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VannL

Just turning the corner on our 18 acres we have our eye on in Central Alabama.  Very Stoked!

Had a question on the foundation. I have read here that the post and beam foundation that is picture on the site is easy to do and provides some amount of additional strength. This makes sense seeing as you are not having to support the center.  Based on that idea, I was wondering if there was an easy way to convert the 20X30 1 1/2 story to this. My idea is to have the basement size be the same size as where the posts would be placed. I know I get a smaller basement, which is likely to only be used for a root cellar anyway, but by how much smaller? What would my dimensions end up?

Thanks!
If you build it, it will be yours!

John Raabe

The 20' wide 1-1/2 story plans comes with a crawlspace (concrete perimeter) foundation that can be modified for a full or partial basement. The cottage stairs however may not be the best choice for the stair between the basement and the main floor.

A better house for a basement is the 2-story Universal cottage with a full size stair that can stack through the house using a full basement plan. It can be setup for a full width span using I-joists or an internal beam and post that supports standard wood joists.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

VannL

John,
Thanks for the reply. I might not be the sharpest nail in the box, but I didn't understand your post. I was wanting to examine the possibility of replacing the standard post support with basement walls, but I also was not sure about how big that basement would be in the end.

Thanks again.

VannL

Again, sorry for the barrage of questions. I am needing to finalize this question, since you mentioned that the 2 story might be better suited, as I am ready to order my plans and just what to make sure I am ordering the right ones.  I am starting my owner/builder thread and posting my ideas for the plans there, if that helps you understand what I might not be saying very well.