Questions on 20 x 30 1.5 story plans

Started by Greenwood, February 15, 2011, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenwood

I have some questions on the 20'x30' 1.5 story plans that I was wondering if you could answer for me.

1) Will the plans meet 90PSF snow load?
2) Can I balloon frame with 12' (or 10') walls for the extra loft space?
3) Do the plans include an option for an addition off to the side? if not how big of a problem would that create? I'm thinking maybe  a 12'x15'.
4) Do the plans require I beams or can standard 2x be used everywhere?

If the addition is a lot more design work, I might just stretch the plans to 40' and create a bedroom in half of the loft.  The final goal is for 3 bedrooms with the cathedral ceiling in the family room which has been difficult with 20' wide.  We would settle for 2 bedrooms + loft space.  I'm sure more questions will come to me but for now that is it.

Thanks for the help!

John Raabe

The first two questions can be solved by having the local truss company design a truss that meets your snow load and gives you the headroom you want in the taller loft area. They will also deliver to the top of the walls.

The plans do not include additions but a shed or gable addition can be added now or later. Some folks build a header into the wall and do the addition later opening the wall after most of the construction is complete.

The floor joists are called out as either engineered I-joists or 2x12 select structural. Note that this is a high quality lumber grade and a standard #2 2x12 will likely be a bit too springy.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

duncanshannon

hey greenwood-

ive been thinking I wanted a full 2 story, but now am reconsidering the 1 1/2.  (after purchasing the 2 story plans!   d*)

At the end of the day, I think what we really want is to be able to have the ability to house our family (2 adults and 2 kids) and be able to comfortably accomodate another family with us (2 adults and 2 kids).  thats either 3 BR or 2 BR and a loft space with bunk bends .. kinda like you seem to be after.

where are you at in your thinking/planning/designing?  Have you seen any good examples of 2br with a loft or a 3 br in 1 1/2 stories?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0