Sleepy Man Banjo Boys

Started by Windpower, November 01, 2012, 11:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

I bought an old banjo with the intent of learning to play it. I think I'll just bury it in the back yard instead..... d*

Great videos- Thanks!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MushCreek on November 02, 2012, 05:23:22 AM
I bought an old banjo with the intent of learning to play it. I think I'll just bury it in the back yard instead..... d*

Great videos- Thanks!

Those boys have a great start.  MushCreek what kind did you get.  Open back or resonator?  They say you are never too old to learn but sometimes I disagree with them. ;)

MushCreek

I bought a resonator back 1953 Gretsch New Yorker for the princely sum of $100. The rim is cast metal- that sucker is heavy! I need to get some geared tuners, as it came with friction pegs, and it's tedious to tune. I can play a bit of guitar, and I can finger pick, so the banjo should be easy. One less string, right? Somehow, I can't get into it until the porch is built!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Native_NM

Now that is a video we can all enjoy.  Thanks for sharing!
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MushCreek on November 02, 2012, 03:55:38 PM
I bought a resonator back 1953 Gretsch New Yorker for the princely sum of $100. The rim is cast metal- that sucker is heavy! I need to get some geared tuners, as it came with friction pegs, and it's tedious to tune. I can play a bit of guitar, and I can finger pick, so the banjo should be easy. One less string, right? Somehow, I can't get into it until the porch is built!

Thats a lot less than the one my boy looked at this summer. $6500 [shocked]

If you can't find anyone to re-do it there is someone nearby that works on them from all over the world. Probably just have to ship it to him.  Let me know and I can give you the E-mail and address.