Just thinking

Started by wildbil, December 07, 2008, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbil

Talking to some of my older relatives, who grew up on a rural farm, infact the same farm my parents built our house on and I grew up on...

They always talk about how they didnt have TV, electricity, and indoor plumbing. But what always catches my attention is when they talk about how much money they didn't have, then they say, "..And we never knew we were poor." I've heard this phrase so many times, and I have come to the conclusion that when they were growing up maybe money didn't measure the success of a family. And that really bothers me, because today's world you arent judged on your character or your skills, you are judged by how much you make, how much you inherited, or by a few letters following your name.

So today, talking to my 9 month old daughter, I made the commitment to help her grow up realizing what to truely value in life. Hopefully I can help break this cycle in my own family.

Sorry I just felt like ranting...

Wildbil  [slap]

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

ScottA

Good plan. You might want to get rid of your TV too. Might help.

Sonoran

Quote from: ScottA on December 07, 2008, 10:13:34 PM
Good plan. You might want to get rid of your TV too. Might help.

This is a good idea.

Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

wildbil

I just don't see how off grid solar and a TV will work together ;)...We have already weened ourselves off of TV...well..I have.
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

peternap

It's good to teach your children about self worth. We as a nation, have lost that perspective....but I have a feeling it will be re-learned soon.

Just do it with some common sense. I was born on the family farm, with no power or indoor plumbing. There are things to be said about having power, indoor plumbing and TV.

My off grid system produces more power than I can use or store and I like TV.
I can live without daily showers but to be honest, other family members prefer I take one :)

Worth has nothing to do with money. For instance, we had little money but grew our own food including meat.
We heated with wood and coal and cooked with wood.

All that would have to be purchased today using on grid utilities and food systems.
Technology isn't a bad thing because it allows us to do more with less power, etc.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

We have a TV.  We haven't turned it on more than about 5 times in the last 5 years to let the grand kids watch a cartoon or movie.

There seems to be some type of flaw in standard modern TV programming that begins to suck the brains right out of your head if you watch the crap they provide.  I cannot believe that people watch that imbecility.

Soon they are doomed to start acting just like what they see.   Baaaaaaa B b baaaaaaa...... d*

Even the non-political stuff will make you stupid....

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Glenn.....the training films I watch are invaluable: Just use TV responsibly and it is a useful tool. ???

Combat training

Medical training

Auto Repair

Building

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Oh....I forgot primitive living :)

glenn kangiser

No wonder I quit watching TV..... I wasn't aware it should be used for training.... :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

As Peter said being off grid does not mean you can't have TV. We've been running an LCD combo TV and DVD player in the off grid RV for years. It's now in the cabin. I wouldn't want to run a big tube TV though.

I take the position that if you or I use our mind and choose programming that interests us TV is fine. My wife and I don't watch much of what I would refer to as mainstream or mindless TV shows. TV is like many things, good in moderation and with proper selection.

Out modern day technology is what makes it possible for us to have an off grid home or cabin with refrigeration, adequate light without relying on fossil fuels (oil lamps), safe running water, hot water on demand, and an eco-friendly indoor toilet. Tell me how indoor plumbing is no big deal when it's zero degrees or colder, the wind's blowing and the snow is drifted up against the outhouse door. I recall it was either brave the outdoors or be the one who had to empty the indoor pail toilet in the basement.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Ice cubes Don, large multi colored Ice cubes. 

Makes the cleaning chores a snap -- if you get the large 5 gallon molds with the tapered sides..... and complete the chores before the spring thaw... [crz]