10 by 10 deck for a 10 by 10 metal shed

Started by chad, October 28, 2010, 06:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad

Hi havent posted on here in a while but was wondering....I am in pa and I am going to put up a metal 10 by 10 shed that i have bought from a big box store,on to a 2by4 or 2by6 framed floor.So my question is am able to scape the ground level,  place gravel down and 1ft by 1ft patio stones on top of that then set my newly built deck on top of that with out worrying about the shed heaving too much.and if so should i use 3quarter ply on top for floor deck?Thanks any suggestion will be appreciated.

nathan.principe

I live in TX, so we dont worry about the ground heaving, with that being said I built a shed a few years ago at my house and I used soild 4x8x16 mason blocks in stacked in each corner and 1 in the center of each rim joist ( shed was 8x10) to a height of about 4" off the ground ( to eliminate the rot problems).  For the floor its self I used PT 2x6 joist 16" o.c. with 3/4" t&g plywood.  The Floor is very solid, my advice to you is to use 2x6 instead of 2x4, and nothing less then 3/4" ply sheathing

chad

Thanks nathan,great advice will definetly take that t and g plywood into consideration. ::)

MountainDon

Back home in the frozen north I had a typical metal shed with sliding doors that I simply installed on pavers set in the ground around the perimeter. The doors never failed to slide no matter the season. I think those sheds can survive a small amount of seasonal movement with little difficulty.

At least that is my opinion.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

chad

Thanks mountain don for the input.I think i will end up placeing it on a level bed of gravel.Thanks for the input

muldoon

I live in Texas as well and we don't really have freeze problems, but my understanding is that if you build on the ground up, ground heave is not much problem.  The deck-blocks folks use this logic for their deckfloor products, with the reasoning being that heave really occurs when you bury posts in the ground, and the clay shrinks/swells and moves the posts vertically.  If your on the surface, it does not move much by itself. 

Based on that, if you use pavers I do not think you would have any trouble.  Take some pictures of your project and post them if you can. 

I agree with the call for pressure treated 2x6, followed by CDX 3/4" plywood for flooring in an shed building.   A friend of mine went cheap on this with 2x4 and OSB (actually it was his father who did it) - his floor is sagging and nearly ruined after only 6 months. 

MountainDon

If you are going to build a floor, like plywood on PT 2x4 or 2x6 joists I would also use PT plywood as I did in the our shed. When it is so close to the ground, with the possibility of moisture being drawn out of the soil underneath I think it's aworthwhile.

The shed I referenced simply sat on the ground level perimeter pavers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.