20 X 24 Shed Roof Cabin in upstate South Carolina

Started by chaddhamilton, October 17, 2011, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaddhamilton

Thought I would post a few photos(sorry for the cell phone quality) of my cabin build that I have been working on.  I've searched the web and have not seen a completed cabin built from these plans, but I think it's gonna look nice sitting in the woods.

I originally purchased the Little House plans from the site, but eventually, my wife and I decided to go with a shed style cabin after coming across a design on the web that we both liked.  We have kids and enjoy our privacy, so this 2 bedroom-though small will give us a little of that.  The plans have a 4' wide porch, which seems totally useless for a cabin, so we're going with a 10' porch with a wrap around to the driveway side of the house. 

The Great Escape
http://www.drummondhouseplans.com/house-plan-detail/info/1001168.html 

My lot is pretty much all steep grade, so when I had my driveyway cut in I used the excess to form up a small but level building site.   

For the foundation, the plans call for 15 steel screw piles, but I went with post and beam.  This required hiring an engineer as my inspector was not keen on any post and beam foundation in clay soil. I dug my holes to 5' deep and then use 6x6 pt posts backfilled with concrete.  This put me a little over budget, but it's solid. 

The walls are pretty straight forward framing.  This past weekend with the help of two experienced framer friends(whom I'm forever indebted to), we got the walls up and rafters on.  Living 4 hours from my land,  I'm optimistic I can get up there for one more 3-day weekend, before it gets too cold, and get it dried in...fingers crossed.

Posts In

Subfloor

Front and Back Walls with rafters

Walls up

mogie01

You're off to a great start!  I really like the design of the cabin. :)

archimedes

Nice design.

How long are those roof rafters?  They look like they're well over 20 ft.    I didn't know you could get dimensional lumber that long.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

chaddhamilton

Yeah, those are 24 foot (special orders).  I was surprised how nice they were though.

Quote from: archimedes on October 17, 2011, 12:37:25 PM
Nice design.

How long are those roof rafters?  They look like they're well over 20 ft.    I didn't know you could get dimensional lumber that long.

archimedes

2 x 12's,  2 x 10's ?    Either way,  I bet they weren't cheap.   ;)

Looking forward to seeing your project.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

chaddhamilton

yeah, they were 2x8's.

Quote from: archimedes on October 17, 2011, 01:24:40 PM
2 x 12's,  2 x 10's ?    Either way,  I bet they weren't cheap.   ;)

Looking forward to seeing your project.

Squirl

John Raabe

There must be a support beam near the center of the slope. It looks like there is a beam support in the wall over the foundation pier. Normal 2x8s can't span 19'. However, if there is a beam, why not frame shorter rafters to the center beam?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

You should be able to work most of the winter in SC unless there is a blizzard like 2009.  Looks like the front of the porch will be really high.  I would not go less than 6X on the post and brace.

MountainDon

Quote from: chaddhamilton on October 17, 2011, 11:56:16 AM

For the foundation, the plans call for 15 steel screw piles, but I went with post and beam.  This required hiring an engineer as my inspector was not keen on any post and beam foundation in clay soil. I dug my holes to 5' deep and then use 6x6 pt posts backfilled with concrete. 

Q: I'm curious as to the size of hole (how many inches square x 5 feet deep) the engineer spec'd. as well if he spec'd. the concrete all the way, top to bottom, in effect making a much larger post face to the earth? And did he spec. a limit to how much pier height above the ground for the five feet in the ground?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

henderson

I LIKE THE DESIGN. I'M WAITING FOR COUNTRYPLANS TO PUT OUT A 20X30. c* THATS MY DREAM ANY HOW... :)

chaddhamilton

Quote from: MountainDon on October 17, 2011, 05:41:37 PM
Q: I'm curious as to the size of hole (how many inches square x 5 feet deep) the engineer spec'd. as well if he spec'd. the concrete all the way, top to bottom, in effect making a much larger post face to the earth? And did he spec. a limit to how much pier height above the ground for the five feet in the ground?

Don, I don't remember what the engineer specified, and that paperwork is in my job box.  The holes are roughly 18" wide by 5' deep with a 3'x3'x8" formed top...all done with an 18" auger bit. The piers are 18" above the ground. 

BPope

Greetings,
I noticed this plan awhile back and I considered it myself for my property here in northwest Alabama. While I believe I've decided on another, I'm going to be watching your work and I'm glad to see somebody using this design. So far it looks awesome. :)

JHall

I really like that plan.  I have looked at it several times.
I am in the piedmont of North Carolina.  I wonder if the engineer you used for the foundation could do the same in my location.  I look forward to your next update.
JH

Rob_O

HA! That's the cabin I've been using as a design inspiration for my build! The picture I've been using did not have the logo so I had no idea who sold the plans.

I was guessing the place at 16'*24' with a 6' porch from the artists rendering. Guess I got *one* of those measurements correct  d*

Keep up the hard work, looks like you're making great progress
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

chaddhamilton

Quote from: JHall on October 24, 2011, 05:56:43 PM
I really like that plan.  I have looked at it several times.
I am in the piedmont of North Carolina.  I wonder if the engineer you used for the foundation could do the same in my location.  I look forward to your next update.
JH

I don't know if he's licensed in N. Carolina and honesly, you may not need an engineer depending on your inspector.  You're best bet is to go to the code office and explain what you plan to do and show them the plans. My issue was that I'm building on semi-fill and it's red clay.   You may be ok down in the piedmont region.

Chadd

JHall

Thanks for the information.  I live in a red clay area as well, however the new house will be built in Montgomery County with a view of Badin Lake.  This area has lots of slate, yellow clay and shale.
As far as I know now post and pier foundations are allowed by code here.  Pilings are for beach houses.
Maybe others local to NC can advise me on this.  I live a couple hours away from code office and they are not willing to discuss such matters over the phone.  They have a few office hours each day and you must come in to talk with them and get permits.

Great job on the house so far.  Is your framing 2x6 for the wall studs?  Again I am looking foward to future updates.

Thanks
JH

MushCreek

Hey Chadd- I was wondering what you were up to; I hadn't heard from you in a while. I just got started my self. The barn is up and weather-tight. Just in time; it's starting to get cold, and I've been living in a pop-up camper on site. I like the design you're building, and it looks like you're off to a good start. Right now, I'm in FL, but I'll be back in SC in a week. PM me if you ever want to visit our place.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Rob_O

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

chaddhamilton

Well, it's been a while and I've made some progress with the cabin that I thought I would share.  In November, we spent a long weekend and got everything *mostly* dried in and dug the porch footings before calling it a year.    Wifey could not decide on a door, and we ran short on osb for one wall, so we left that for this year.

We returned back up last week and spent 5 very long days getting things back on track and I'm really liking this little place. Wifey still needs to decide on a door(I know you're reading this :)

Wrapped up the sheathing and dug some footers for a little woodshed.   Then started with the porch deck which took 3 days between the concrete(had to haul water in) and the rain that came through.  We pushed the porch out to 10' wide (the plans call for a 4' wide porch) and it's got a good feel to it with lots of room.

Then we started framing the interior walls and got those in.  The bedrooms feel bigger than they are having one wall that's 10' high, tho that might change once we get the sheetrock up.  Planning on 4 bunk beds in the kids room and queen in our room.

I'm planning another 3 dayer this month to finish the porch and measure and prep for siding and roofing.  Maybe i'll even bring a decent camera and take some real pictures.

Hope everyone is staying busy.  Glad to be part of this little community.

Chadd

MushCreek

At least I'm not the only one who took the winter off! I went back to FL, hired on with my old employer, and am just now getting back to it. I'll be up later this week.

The cabin is looking great!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Toyotaboy

Are you putting in electrical? Nice cabin and I really like the shed roof design!

markert2523

Hi Chadd, what a great build.  I really like the shed roof.

I was wondering how you attached your deck beam to the posts?  I see you used simpson brackets on the building piers but can't see clearly how you did the deck beam.  I'm interested because I'm planning a cabin build on a slope and will have an elevated deck much like yours.  Mine will be about 10' and I'm estimating yours at about 8'?  Do you have any plans for bracing?  Also have you any concern for the beam rolling or tilting?

Are you planning a roof over the deck?  If so, how are you going to attach/support the roof beam and posts?

Thanks much.  any info appreciated.  I'm always amazed how much help one can get by being active on this site.

Markert