UPDATED PHOTO'S TO "CAMP SICILIA" 16'X32' CABIN IN UPSTATE NEW YORK

Started by CAPTBIZ, February 06, 2011, 04:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTBIZ

Just added some updated photo's of "Camp Sicilia".  The seasonal road was plowed by local highway department and blocked my entrance as you can see from the first photo.  There's about 2'-3' of snow in this area.  I had to hike the long driveway to the cabin site in nothing but my jeans and boots.  Next time gators and snowshoes are a must.   I was hauling a backpack with some stove stack items to install in the cabin together with a shovel in the other hand.  After lugging in 3' of snow, the next day my thighs were hurtin'.  I finally installed all the stovepipe pieces and started my first fire in the Scandia "Franklin Stove".  What a great feeling to see smoke coming out of the chimney! ::) Small step for me but giant step towards finishing the project.  These are some photos I took during my trip.  Can't wait for spring! c*

Front gated entrance was not accesible because of the obvious.

This was a pleasant sight to see.  The cabin is still standing after a harsh winter.

That's about 2 1/2 feet of snow!

Grab the shovel and well.....start shoveling!

Photo of the stone veneer I'm finishing behind the Scandia stove.

Ah, progress

First fire....yahoo!

Smoke from the stove stack.....wow that was great to see.  I never taught something so simple as smoke could be so gratifying.  ;D

Just shoveled enough to get in to the cabin.
These are just the recent updated photo's of the 16'x24' cabin +16'x8' attached porch....soon to be covered with shed style roof and partially screened and enclosed. C'mon spring!!! ;D

archimedes

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

John Raabe

It's a pretty primal feeling to slug through deep snow to get to your cabin, dig yourself in and then be able to produce a fire with warmth and comfort.

Definitely a milestone! Congrats  :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

325ABN

Redoverfarm

How did the stove perform w/o the walls being insulated?  I would imagine you slept well after that first trac through the snow.  I might mention that when laying the stone try not to allow the breaks(joints) in the stone to line up on the verticle from one course to the next.  Stagger to make them more real like. Most of the time just alternating end stones from one side to the other wilk offset the breaks. 

CAPTBIZ

Here's a combo reply to all who posted comments:
1. Redoverfarm:
The stove performed well.  Did not stay long during this trip.  Just eneough to complete connection of stovepipe and start small fire to test run proper draft etc. But, I did sleep well after the first trac through snow. Thanks for the stone veneer suggestions. As you can see I staggered most of the stones.
2. 325ABN:
The stove is not a Vermont Castings.  I got it for a good price...FREE from a cousin who was looking to get rid of it. I sanded and refinished it with a coat of high heat stove paint and I think it came out pretty good.  The stove is actually a "Scandia" made by "Franklin Stoves".  I like the side opening door together with the dual front doors which swing open.  She seems to work good although I have not burned it for any extended period of time.
3. John Raabe:
Yes John, it is a primal feeling!  It made me think about folks who actually lived back in the old days who had to trac their way around the wilderness simply to survive as a way of living.  A trip to a local cemetery has the average age of a person in the 1700-1800's at 26 years old before they died.  Remember the lack of medicine for common ailments were not readily available coupled with the survivability factor the death rates were high.  I admit though, it is nice to have the comforts of todays technology.  Like boilers for heat, autos, fresh running water and electricity, medicines readily availble at your local CVS store etc. Thanks for the comment.
4. archimedes:
Yes, it was nice and cold. About 26 degrees on a beautifully sunny and clear day.  The thermostat inside the cabin read 20 degrees!  The inside is not completed yet and currently uninsulated.  Propane heater and stove help offset the cold for now.  The cabin is located in Schoharie County near Cobleskill, NY deep in the woods on a seasonal highway.  That's about 3 1/2 hours North of New York City for those unfamiliar with NY.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR POSTS! MORE TO FOLLOW.