New here

Started by AICSman, April 26, 2007, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AICSman

Hello all! Let me tell you, this site is just what I am looking for! Ive been looking at buying some land and building a cabin or UG house for a loooong time, since I was a kid. Through some good fortune I am blessed with a lucrative opportunity right now, being deployed to the Mid-East. I will have some cash when I get back, hopefully enough to buy some acreage outright in the NW(WA, ID, MT, WY). Been thinking about ready-made cabins but they are $$$$. Also looked at yurts and UG houses. Im leaning toward a very small (<200 sq ft) cabin to get my feet wet so to speak. Then I want to do a really nice UG house for my main place. Alot of really nice and original! homebuilt places. Hopefully I can post mine up here one day, when I am off grid. Ill be digging around here for a while!

optionguru

Welcome to the site.  There are some very knowledgable and more importantly, Helpful people.
Stay Safe.

Okie_Bob

You have come to the right place. Somewhere on here there is a topic on 200sf houses with tons of floor plans and ideas. It was a hot topic a few months back.
Then, for the UG house, you are very lucky to have Glenn as one of the moderators on here. He is a wealth of information and will gladly walk you through any problem you may come up with. He has already build an UG home that he and the Misses live in now in CA somewhere. (Can't believe I'm saying all these nice things about Glenn!) So, all in all, you have stumbled onto the place to be for help with your initial small cabin and later for you UG home.
As you deploy overseas, travel safe and may God bring you back to the USA safe and sound!
Okie Bob

glenn-k

Dang OkieBoB -- that was kinda mushy.  I'm gonna have to go grab a handkerchief.  ::)

We'll help with what we can.  Welcome to the forum. :)

MountainDon

Welcome AICSman. I'll say a prayer for your safe return and thanks for your service. AICS...  Artillery and Infantry Combat System ?? or am I trying too hard to make something of the capitalized letters?   :-/

AICSman

Thanks for the welcome and kind words! I have been checking out that 200 sq ft thread, pretty nice! I have a few ideas brewing around. One involves an offshoot of the small 10x14 cabin that was built for $1400. I want to make it a little bigger, say 12x14 and make one wall very tall, like 12 feet. So then It would be like half of a normal type roof, offering some of the space while keeping the ease of building of a "flat" roof. I dont want power, or plumbing. Basically a rugged retreat of sorts, able to be self sufficient. Wood stove and composting toilet fit the bill for now. Maybe some solar chargers and a hand pumped well. At least 6 more months here. Ill come back with low 5 figures in the bank so its a good trade off I think. On the way to be debt free!
AICS is Accuracy International Chassis System, a type of rifle stock Im using for a custom build. Im Navy so I wouldnt ever use Army terms!  ;D

peg_688

So whats your rate/ rating / rank ??  Just a curious former AE-1 ;)  

You must be a bubble head if you want a U/G bunker :o  Glenn complex / bunker is ever growing , I think he's tryin to get to China on the cheap  ;D

glenn-k

I love to discover new places and it seems like underground is the way to fly, PEG.  Less chance of invasive searches. :-/

AICSman

Im a GM1 (SW). I like the UG for the, lets say "unobtrusive" profile of it? And the defensibility of it.