Need a  rendering/model/sketch for addition

Started by Ray_N, September 13, 2006, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_N

I've built (not quite finished of course) the 12x18 little house.  I am thinking (actually planning) on adding a sleeping porch to one of the non-gabled ends.  If it is of little effort could some post or e-mail on what it would look like - for ammo to convince the "other half" to go along with a new project.

Like I said I used the 12x18 plan, with 12/12 roof and my sidewalls are 10 feet 4.5 inches.

Somehow I image that this is easy for someone,  if not thanks anyway.

Jimmy C.

This is not quite the little house.. It is a modified version of the two story I'm building with a porch on the front and side. I hope this helps.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Mark_Chenail

Ray:

How long and how wide to you want the sleeping porch and on which of the non gable sides if you are standing in front of the house? Let me know and I can probably do you a quick sketch.

Mark

WHOOPS:  Jimmy beat me to it.
mark chenail

Ray_N

Mark,

Jimmy's is good but if you could do a more specific one that one be great.  The non-cable side would be the left side if you are facing the front door.  Also I wouldn't go with a 12/12 pitch for the porch, but pretty steep since its a high snow area.  I think I would do it 12 feet along the 18 foot deep side (keep it staggered toward the front door), and as wide as would look good.

okie-guy

Ray, I'm building a 20X35 foot 1 and1/2 story cabin . I have a 12x12 pitch roof with a 10x20 porch on one side of the cabin.You can see how it is progessing and looks @ the"One and 1/2 story in Oklahoma", some where on page 2.  I originally was going to make it a screened porch, but with the dust and all , Plus the cost was not that much more, I purchased 36x60 single pane windows at Home depot for $52.00 a piece. I put 2x6 rafters right next to the 2x12's and brought them out to a doubled 2x6 frame I made. I paid extra for 12 footers and I now have a nice overhang for shade. We put a metal flashing and a rubber "tar paper" before we roofed the cabin at the joint between the 12x12 roof and the porch. I made a opening at one side below the window and bought a 6400 BTU AC for $129.00 at a truck load Home Depot sale. I will try and add pictures of the windows installed. But the pictures should give your wife an idea of how it would look.

Mark_Chenail

Ray:  Im a bit confused.  Is this the 12x18 plan you are using?  The door is on the non gable side in this plan, not on the front gable.  

http://countryplans.com/images/12x18fp.gif

If yours is different, let me know or post the plan and I can run up a quick sketch.
mark chenail

Ray_N

Mark,

Yes that is the foot print.  I got NOS doors at a good deal and made the gable end the "front door", with it on the left hand side and a window on the right hand side.  The other thing I change is I went to 10' studs, and didn't trim them, so my wall height is 10foot 4.5 inches.  Since I used cedar shakes for the siding it didn't make much of a difference,  but made the building seem much bigger.

Ray

Mark_Chenail

Ray:  Thanks for the info.  Its been one of those weeks here but will try to run up the sketch this afternoon and post it for you.  As you have to convince "the other half", Im going to assume that the sleeping porch should accommodate a double bed, or is this going to just be an alternative to the proverbial doghouse?   ;)
mark chenail

Ray_N

Mark,

LOL,  I just had some great images of "in trouble" spouses.  This Little House is about 1/4 mile away from the main house.  I think a lot of husbands wouldn't mind spending some time in the woods by a fishing stream, with NPR and a BBQ;  of course it doesn't have sattelite TV for football season!  I wonder if the directdish guys truck is a 4X4?

Mark_Chenail

Ray:   Heres a rough plan of the sleeping porch 8 x 12 and a couple of views from the outside and the inside.  Hope they help with the convincing.  Sorry for the size.  Photobucket usually shrinks them.

Mark

mark chenail

Ray_N

Mark,

Very, very, cool program.  Since I used cedar shingles it looks exactly like my cottage.  
Thank you,  the interiors came out great too!  Now to print them out and casually leave them lying around.

Ray

Mark_Chenail

Ray:  Glad you like it.  It was done on a program called Plan3d that I got off the net though I cant remember where.  Its fairly eazy to use and does those nice color renderings but doesnt do nice line drawings like 3dha.  Its nice for swanky presentation suitable for convincing the other half but not really useful for working drawings.  If you got any questions just give me a holler. :)
mark chenail