10x32 portable gambrel cabin

Started by jackel440, March 08, 2012, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

Hello everyone,
    I have been on the site for a while now looking for ideas and info on my project.
I am currently in the process of building a 10x32 gambrel style barn with a loft to replace my old motorhome.I got the motorhome for helping build a house for my wifes uncle who owns a campground we camp at.We have used it for going on 3 yrs now and have decided that we don't want to spend money on it as it is stricken with water damage.
    So we talked to her uncle and asked what he thought about us scrapping the motor home and building a cabin.He thought it was a great idea so I started making plans for what we wanted to build.
    I had to stick with a width of 10' so I can snake it out of the woods if I decide to remove it from the campground.I am copying some of the barns that are for sale locally as my inspiration sort of.I am bulding with 2x6" instead of 2x4"s and will be studding it 16" O.C. instead of 24" like these prebuilt jobs are.
    I have already Bought all my floor materials and have the floor framing built.I made plates out of 1/4" steel to bolt two 16' 4x6" together to make four runners to place under the cabin.
    I then built two 10x16' floor joist assemblies on my trailer.Then hauled them to the campground to install them.
    My campsite is sloped so I had to block up the runners to get them leveled out.I will have pics posted here soon.

jackel440

jackel440

jackel440

jackel440

jackel440

Here is a few shots of the angle brackets that are anchorung the floor to the runners

John Raabe

Interesting project. It looks like you have a sturdy platform.

Are you able to do all the plumbing and wiring in the outside walls? Looks like servicing anything in the floor might be difficult when it is so close to the ground.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

jackel440

John,
   I am building this real similar to an RV inside mechanicaly wise.I plan to reuse the power supply from my motorhome to supply 12v. for my lighting throughout the cabin.I have a 30amp service at my site.So I want to limit my power usage in case i want to run an a/c unit.I will be using a small 110 water heater which looks to be new that is in the motor home now.
Some other campers have LP on demand water heaters mounted out side their campers on cover poles.Seem to work great that way.So there is another neat option..
I had originaly planned to build my floor joists to allow placement of holding tanks in between them.I am running out of time so I went ahead went ahead and framed it conventionaly.That way we have a place to camp this year. ;)
I might either put in a raised floor for the shower/toilet to allow roome for my holdig tanks.Now what i have going for me is do to my site being steeply sloped the cabin is over 18" from the ground to the bottom of the runners.So on the backside on the north end of the cabin I could possibly mount my tanks under the bottom.Only issue is if I ever was to move the cabin.
Lots of ideas to incorporate ,but right now I just need to get this sucker finished.
I am currently the talk of the campground.Everyone is rubber necking when they drive by my site. :)
We did get all the flooring nailed down today!So now I have to move onto the walls.Pics will be available tomorow I hope. ;D

John Raabe

Interesting build with a combination of the two (camper and site built) technologies.

Thanks for letting us come along.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

jackel440

I sure hope it turns out real nice.The wifes uncle wants it to be like a show place for the campground.He is talking about replacing the his dads motor home with a smaller version of our cabin.I have heard a few others are interested also.funny thing is the season hasn't really even started yet.Only seen a few peeps out there checking over thier camps to see what old man winter did to them.(or the squirrels) d*

ajbremer

Hi jackel440,

That looks like a cool project. I went out and bought one of those gambrel buildings, it cost a lot of money and could have been built for much less but anyway - it's a nice building. Ours is a 12x32 with a loft but the loft isn't very high. It is 2x4's at 24" o/c framing. It looks like your going to have a really neat time building yours. Thank you for posting your project sir.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

jackel440

Quote from: ajbremer on March 13, 2012, 05:51:01 AM
Hi jackel440,

That looks like a cool project. I went out and bought one of those gambrel buildings, it cost a lot of money and could have been built for much less but anyway - it's a nice building. Ours is a 12x32 with a loft but the loft isn't very high. It is 2x4's at 24" o/c framing. It looks like your going to have a really neat time building yours. Thank you for posting your project sir.
Yeah thats pretty much exactly what I'm building.I too said I could build it alot sturdier for alot less.So thats what I am doing.I think I will have the structure up for less than 3K$.I have the floor done for about $850 I believe.I really like those barns ,but just couldn't justify the $6K price tag on the 12x32.Plus I would have to special order as they don't make a 10x32 as a stock item.
Yes they are short inside ,but thats do to the hieght restrictions so they can be hauled down the road.I plan to have a 5' tall loft.which is from the top plate to the top of the rafters.So it will be a little taller inside.
Trying to find a place to get a good deal on ordering the treated t1-11 siding.Which has turned out to be a little pain in the batooty. ::)

Well anyways I just decided I'd build mine.I have built several pole barns and some remodels so I figure I can handle this.

jackel440

here is a few pics of the floor getting finnished

Here is a little dancing of me and the kids after we completed the floor

ajbremer

Thanks for posting

I always love to see the 'completed floor dance' pics!

jackel440

Well we have managed to get one end wall and one long wall framed and standing up.Hoping to have the other end wall framed up tomorrow night.I have some pics that the wife took.I will have to get them loaded up later.Hopefully I will have some more to update tomorrow night. :)

ajbremer

Ok Jackel440

It'll be nice to see those pics. Did you get some help from your danc'in crew? Those kids look like their having a great time on the floor.

jackel440

Quote from: ajbremer on March 22, 2012, 11:45:51 AM
Ok Jackel440

It'll be nice to see those pics. Did you get some help from your danc'in crew? Those kids look like their having a great time on the floor.
Yeah they have been helping alot.Well when I can pry them away from the play ground anyways.LOL!
We managed to get the other end wall framed where the roll up door goes.Then stood it up and got it all braced.Had an impromptu birthday party for my Daughter who turned 12 today :)
we just got home so I haven't got any photos loaded yet.Then I am working 12hrs all weekend so I imagine I won't get back to the cabin till maybe tuesday.
So maybe tomorrow i'll have those pics.

ajbremer

How do Jackel440,

A roll up door? Are those the types of doors that you see in storage units and such, kind of like a garage door? It would be cool to see your floor plan.

Anyway, thank God for overtime - let's just hope we spend the money on wood.

jackel440

Quote from: ajbremer on March 23, 2012, 04:40:08 AM
How do Jackel440,

A roll up door? Are those the types of doors that you see in storage units and such, kind of like a garage door? It would be cool to see your floor plan.

Anyway, thank God for overtime - let's just hope we spend the money on wood.
Yeah its gonna have an 8x7 roll up door in the end.That way i have a 8' deep garage in the end for my golf cart,or motorcycle,chairs,and any other stuff i keep at the campgrounds.Plus it will have fold down beds on the wall.That way my brother n law and his fiance can have thier own room.We all camp together and they camped in a tent before now.
I have the floor plan in my head not really down on paper.I will have to draw it out some time for you guys.
This is the garage end as you can tell.

Pic of the side wall.The middle window will be the living room area

one more for ya

:)

jackel440

We got the treated T1-11 siding ordered from Menards.that was a nice $1K hit in the wallet.10 day lead time on it so Hopefully it will be here by next weekend.
Still need to buy windows and doors.
I still have one more wall to frame,but do to weather and working 12 hours all week.We haven't been able to get back out there to the campground to work on it.
I am hoping to work on it a few evenings during the week and all next weekend.

ajbremer

Wow sir,

$1000 for your T1-11 treated, how many sheets for that much or should I say how much a sheet and how thick?

Don_P

Your windows on the long walls need headers, the rafters and floor will bear down there. A few flatways 2x's are probably going to lose that fight over time, for up to a 3' opening in a building of that size a couple of 2x4's on edge would do it. There is a good pdf on framing garage doors with narrow sidewalls on the APA website, " narrow wall portal frame" or similar title. As you can imagine, a big hole in the wall with narrow sheathed sidewalls is pretty soft if the wind pushes on the side, they show good reinforcing methods.

I think one of AJ's guys commented on his low bracing, I'm seeing the same thing here. A really good brace is jammed in the corner of top plate and stud, nailed, then it runs at a 45 to the floor where there are 1 or 2 blocks high nailed thru the floor into joists, the wall is plumbed and the brace is nailed to that floor block. When you are tying parts in above you don't want anything moving under you.

There's a pretty neat off grid nearby. The guy made half circle end walls and rolled the roll up garage door metal over it. I think he was moved in before she got the front door back on the hinges  :D

jackel440

The treated T1-11 was $38 and some change a sheet.That was the best deal I could find.I searched high and low and couldn't find it anywhere else except for menards at that price.Everyone else was over $50 a sheet.One place argued with me and said they don't make it,and have never sold it. ???

Don P
   I have to do some additional framing on a few windows.
The barn that I have kind of copied mine off of is just framed with one 2x4 over every window.The windows are 24" wide except for that one in the middle.

I am going to be putting in some metal bracing on the garage wall end opening like you were reffering to.I still have the front wall to frame this weekend and hopefully get started on the gambrel trusses this weekend.

jackel440

Well we managed to get the front wall all framed and standing up.Reframed the headers above the windows the correct way.We house wrapped the end and back wall.Made a damn on the sill to stop any water in case of leaks.installed new low-e windows.Then we started installing the siding.Really starting to come along now. [cool]

Window taped and sealed in.

ajbremer

Hey, that looks real good jackel440!

That siding is nice. I would like to look around for siding like that, is it guaranteed?

I have one of them Derksen buildings and the siding is very similar and I've always thought that the two buildings together (my 20x30 countryplan and my Derksen building) would look nice having the same siding BUT when I went to my local Lowe's to find some of it they didn't have it stained the same way the siding on my building is - it was just plain.

Even if I was able to find the T1-11 stained/guaranteed siding I'm not sure how it would hold up, any indication of your sidings durability? I also notice that a lot of those buildings fade after some years.

Here's a link to a picture of my Derksen building:

https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/ajbremer/1-22-2011-01.jpg