1.5 story 20 wide ?

Started by peteh2833, April 28, 2007, 09:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

I just received the plans today. It is a great set of plans. I also bought the house framing book. I have built small projects before and have a general knowledge of framing. I will be using the post and pier foundation. Is there a center set of posts that go in or just the 12 on the outside? Also do the joists span the entire 20' wide.

peg_688

You could span 20' with TJI / BCI's (I joist) but the floor will be bouncy. I don't have those plans but John,  generally,  steps the beams back a bit from the primeter about  18" to 2' , I'd say run a beam down the center as well . You'll have a stiffer floor that way. Max span althought it will pass inspection is not the way to go , it meets a minium code , code + 1 or 2 even in joist is better / more stiff / solid / feels better , no rattling dish's , clocks , stuff on shelves etc , when some one walks across the floor .

If you use conventional joist , and can't find nice 20' stock you could use 12' DF 2 x12's and bypass then in the middle , look in your framing book it should show you a detail of joist done that way. remember to solid block over that cneter beam , if you have to comply with IRC 2003 code or newer.

G/L PEG  

peteh2833

Ok thanks. What did you mean by solid frame over the center beam? Pete

peg_688

Solid blocking a 2x 6,8,10, 12 , / or piece of "I" joist between each joist( the same size  block as your floor joist) , so they can't roll over. It / they may not be required IF you do not have to pass a inspection.

Solid blocking between rafters you should do the same with floor / deck / etc joist. Common practice in todays framing market/ envir.

G/L PEG

peteh2833

Thanks. I thought that is what you meant. I know how to do it, I'm just not good with what the terminology is. How many blocks per joist or rafter? Pete

peg_688

One per bay . Just so they can't roll over , generally,  at what's called the point of bearing (over the wall and/ or beams )  ;)

Post some photo's , if you have the equipment , I'd sure like to see if this teachin is payin off in the field  :)

G/L PEG

peteh2833

Ok, I will. Thanks for the help. It will be an extended project. I have a one story camp right now with only 2 rooms and not enough room. I will be building the 1.5 story beside it and connect it with a breeze way. Thanks. Pete