Roof pitch

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 04, 2006, 04:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

I need a little advice about roof pitch, Is that the proper term?
 Does it matter what the pitch is? What determines this other than visual? Also,
Would a 12-12 be easier due to 45 degree cuts?

glenn-k

It affects ultimate height and clearance or usable space at the sides.  It would affect head clearance on a 1 1/2 story but would be above you on a 2 story only affecting attic space.  I'll have to leave it to John to recommend what is best to do though.

bartholomew

45 degree cuts are easier (less potential to screw up) but that's not the only consideration. The steep roof is going to be more difficult and dangerous to work on. Also, by adjusting the pitch you can optimize your use of materials and avoid cuts. Say you can adjust the pitch and/or overhang so that your rafters are exactly 16 ft long instead of 16'5". Then you can buy 16' rafter stock instead of 20'; you can sheath with full-width sheets and don't have to cut narrow strips to finish it off; and, if going with metal roofing, you can use a standard size without trimming to length.

jraabe

Jimmy: Thanks for catching that one - the cross section pitch on p. 3 is 10 in 12 (rise over run) not 12 in 10 (that would be steeper than 45º). I will change the master to make this less confusing. The cross section details and diagrams on p. 4 have the 10:12 pitch and note that you can vary this and call it out there.

The 10:12 pitch was my choice as to a trade off between headroom and buildability. Steep pitch roofs are more difficult to build than shallow pitches. If you didn't need the space you could do a standard 4:12 truss roof and have less trouble building it. (It wouldn't have a "cottage look", but for some that will not matter.

Bart makes a good point about optimizing the materials usage (which I have to admit, I did not take into account  :-[)

Jimmy_Cason

Thanks for the help!
I am all for buildability.
So far I've only had my thought process on the foundation and first floor.
Movin' on up! Now I will focus on the second floor walls and roof.
I do want the "cottage effect" in the roof and ceiling.
Does anyone have any advice on what not to do while building the roof? I know... Don't fall off.. ::)

Come on income tax return! ;D

bartholomew

Don't forget to keep kids, pets, spectators away from the house. Hammers, bundles of shingles, etc. like to slide off steep roofs.

Don't forget the sunscreen.

Don't install the OSB smooth side up.

Don't do as someone I read about did and tie off your safety line to a vehicle bumper.

Micky

I think it is OK to tie the safty line to the bumper.  Just keep the keys out of the wife's hands....