optionguru

Let me try to make this easier

My wife after our first day of site clearing

Amanda_931

Lovely site.

Lots of work ahead. 

glenn-k

optionguru

My wife had to wear the brightest possible jacket she could find because it's moose season and she's afraid of the hunters.  I guess that's one downside of building in the middle of nowhere.

Amanda_931

Yes it is.

Put up zillions of Posted signs??

Might not always help, though.

But, heck, bright coats are nice!  I've got one,  but it's not the preferred one for deer season, too light.   :'(

Pa_Kettle

Out by us (Missouri), you wrap or paint a stripe around the trees along your property line.  It's supposed to tell hunters it's private property and no hunting.  The color is blue or purple... I think... :-?

Beautiful place BTW.  :)

PK

optionguru

I remember when I first moved to NH my neighbor was laughing when he saw me come out of the house in a dark brown coat in the middle of hunting season.  Apparently with my extra pounds and a brown coat I resembled a prize bear.  The neighbor gave me the "Stupid City Boy" look and laugh.

optionguru

Here's a few updated pics.  The boys have been hard at work helping me clear branches.

Here's a better idea of the view from the site, I still have a lot of thinning to do as well as trimming the lower branches on the trees.

Here's the beginning of the road/ driveway to my lot.

Kevin

Looks like a great site. Keep us posted. And watch out moose season almost over but deer is starting next week.
Kevin

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Amanda_931

It might accidently be getting cold up there.

As far as I'm concerned it is here.  And I'm a long long ways south.  

optionguru

I've been buried with work and then we finally started getting some snow.  I think I'll have to wait until Late March or April to get back to work.

benevolance

It used to be hunters would look to see who owned a piece of land before they went hunting...I always thought under the law a hunter had to know the land he was hunting on....To make sure there were no dwellings and such...Making it the hunters responsiblity to be in compliance of the law when hunting....

At my dads woodlot though hunters went where they wanted...We would post no tresspassing and no hunting signs and they tore them down and used them for target practice....I guess the 2 huge orchards on my dads property where the deer bedded down and ate fall apples made the hunters believe they could hunt there no matter what?

we called the game warden on a couple people sitting in trees on our land and had them hauled out of there....That helped a lot... I guess it just depends on the respect of the locals that want to hunt.....If they respect no tresspassing signs or ask permission to cross your land you will almost never have a problem

optionguru

The family went up to the lot this past weekend to do some more clearing.  In the next few weeks I hope to start digging for the footings.  I know these pics don't show much progress but being the self indulgent person that I am I figured you all should see how cute my little animals are.

I even got my wife to move some wood.  We had a wind storm a week ago which had effectively wiped out all of the clearing I done at the end of the fall last year.  We had 3 large trees fall over.  I guess it's better that they fell before the deck and cabin start going up.

After the 1 1/2 hour drive up to the camp we were very happy to have four wheel drive.  Apparently the roads to our camp were about the only place in NH that still had snow on the ground.  The lake was still frozen enough to stand on.

glenn kangiser

Looks like everyone's enjoying themselves.  Nice pix, but still looks cold. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

optionguru

You mean where you live you don't wear shorts and short sleeves while standing on ice?

glenn kangiser

We don't have ice you can stand on -- a bit up the hill but not often here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kevin

I'm heading up to my place in Northern Vermont this weekend and can't wait to see what that win storm
did to my place. I figure this weekend will be nothin but clean up. I put a fresh  chain on the chainsaw
and its ready to go.
  Don't worry about not showing much progress clearing your place it takes time. But it looks like your family is enjoying it and thats the most important.
Kevin

optionguru

A little update.  After buying the little house plans and contemplating about how best to build the cabin on my challanging lake lot I decided to put up a wall tent for this summer to enjoy the lot and spend more time planning the end goal cabin.

To do this I had to build a relatively extravagant system of walkways and decks up above the wet soil.  This picture is about 1/2 of what we've done so far.

And the all important family fun time.  I tried to make my oldest do all the work so I could enjoy an adult beverage but my balance or lack there of betrayed me and spilled my bourban.

MountainDon

More time spent planning can lead to a more enjoyable finished product. Enjoy! That's a big tent!   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.