Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

We got a break in the weather so I was able to finish the east gable end finaly. I installed all the electrical boxes and drilled the holes for the wires. Next will be the can lights for the sofits outside and the breaker panel. I'll get going on siding again once warmer weather gets here. I've been helping my brother clear trees for his cabin which we'll be starting in the spring. He's going to hire me to help him build it. I'll put up some pics of that when we get it going. His cabin will be about 400' north of this cabin.

phalynx

400' is a tough distance....  It's close enough for you to see him read his newspaper in his underwear but too far to throw a rock at him.   d*

Gable end looks good.  Very nice detail work.

soomb

Quote from: phalynx on December 29, 2008, 03:18:53 PM
400' is a tough distance....  It's close enough for you to see him read his newspaper in his underwear but too far to throw a rock at him.   d*

Gable end looks good.  Very nice detail work.
that is why God made slingshots... to solve such a problem as this.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

ScottA

There's a few hundred trees in the way of a clear shot though. I'm more inclinded to artillery type shots to clear the trees. Maybe a potato gun.  ???

phalynx

ooooh, this takes me back... CONDOR DROPPINGS!!!!!  soaked toilet paper in a ball, lobbed over the trees will sure make him put his pants on.

Jens

Quote from: ScottA on December 06, 2008, 10:14:36 AM
HG when we where kids we had hats and mittens.

And health insurance...not that we were ever taken to the hospital unless something was definitely broken.  Heck, I didn't even get to the hospital for a week after breaking my collar bone, cause grandma said, "you're just being a baby", and she'll never live that one down!

I love your house dude.  You are doing an amazing job with the exterior.  Love that rain screen siding.  Gonna be a hard act to follow up on the interior though...what do you think, Irish immigrant style wood paneling everywhere (jab, jab, from a part Irishman)?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

The inside will likely end up looking like an old english pub. lol We'll see. What's the Irish immigrant style look like anyways?

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Jens on December 30, 2008, 10:52:36 PM
Quote from: ScottA on December 06, 2008, 10:14:36 AM
HG when we where kids we had hats and mittens.

And health insurance...not that we were ever taken to the hospital unless something was definitely broken.  Heck, I didn't even get to the hospital for a week after breaking my collar bone, cause grandma said, "you're just being a baby", and she'll never live that one down!

I love your house dude.  You are doing an amazing job with the exterior.  Love that rain screen siding.  Gonna be a hard act to follow up on the interior though...what do you think, Irish immigrant style wood paneling everywhere (jab, jab, from a part Irishman)?
They have hats and mittens, but they just don't have much to do... the back yard is a tiny little postage stamp with stockade fences.  They go feed and water the dogs and play for a little while, but then they get cold (entire back yard is shaded and there's not enough room to run around and get warm, so fifteen to twenty minutes and they're knocking at the back door again.)

Jens

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Yep, that about covers it.  d* I shot myself in the hand with a staple gun once. Had to pull it out with pliers. I didn't cry.

alcowboy

I actually saw one of the guys on DIY Blog Cabin shoot himself through the fingers with a nail gun. Luckly, he had no bone injuries.

Redoverfarm

Shot myself with an air nailer.  16d nail right through the palm near the thumb.  It would have been alright if it hadn't hit the bone.  Had a friend pull it out.  Didn't hurt until about 10 minutes afterwards.  Awkward standing position (window sill) and leaning to the outside.   d* d*.  Long time healing on that one but no Dr. or hosp. I think if you work any at all you will get injuries. Some more serious than others but it will happen.  My wife worries constantly being on the mountain by myself. 

Jens

I was nailing sheething one day in the dead of winter.  Here I am, standing on the header of a window, 15 or 20' up, leaning over the top of the wall and reaching down to nail the sheet into the header.  I was a little high with one shot, and ofcourse it was the one where my already frozen foot was placed!  Didn't puncture, but MAN did it hurt! 

Had a 16d skip off the top of a plate when it split off some wane on the board, hit my fist that was holding the stud in place. 

No matter how careful you try to be, how far away you try to keep your hand, accidents do happen...that's why they're called accidents.

soomb

not to turn this into the "I remember one time..." forum... BUT I remember one time where I was doing office interiors with metal framing and sheet rock and screwed right into the meat of my hand below the thumb on the other side of a corner.. It is amazing how fast you can switch a screw gun into reverse with one hand when you have just been motivated.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

mtman

First post here,but I've been reading for awhile. So many great ideas here! Just have to say thanks to Scott for sharing all he has done so far. Really like his design and is just what I've been looking for. Can't wait for more pics as he does the inside!

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum. Scott is building a real beauty.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words.  w*

Things have been in a bit of a lull the past few weeks but I'm set to get rolling again next week. The can lights are in as of friday and I'm going to set the panel and start pulling wire next week. This will be followed by the plumbing rough. If it's still too cold to finish the sofit and siding by then I'll start insulation. I've decided to hold off on the wood stove till later in the year as there's alot of other things higher on the priority list ATM.

ScottA

I picked up the panel and the wire yesterday. Add that to the boxes and can lights I bought before and the total was less than $400. Not bad for the electrical rough in. I had figured $500-600. Now if wasn't so damn cold I could get some work done.  d*

ScottA

Well I managed to get the electrical panel in along with breakers and pulled the wire for the kitchen. Deep freeze cold front moving in tonight so I'm dead in the water for the next couple of days. Was nice to get a little something done this week though.

bayview

Scott: 

I may have missed it before, but what size service are you using?  How many amp box? . . . and what size cable - wire are you running into the box?
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

ScottA

Service will be #4 copper. Panel in the cabin is 100 amp. It is actualy a sub panel.  The calculated load on the cabin and the future guest cottage which will be fed from this sub panel is about 75 amps. There will be another 30 amp sub sub panel in the guest cottage. The main panel (200 amp) is on the pole under the meter. There will also be another sub panel in the shop I'm going to build later fed from the main panel.

ScottA

Here's a few pics of wiring in progress.

Sub panel serving the cabin also contains a 30 amp breaker that will feed a second sub panel in the future guest cottage. Mark said not to put it in the closet but I did anyway. No inspections here. Still plenty of room to work on it if needed. I ended up with 10 circuts.

30 amp 240v for Dryer
30 amp 240v for guest cottage
20 amp 120v for kitchen recepticals West
20 amp 120v for kitchen recepticals East
20 amp 120v for washer
20 amp 120v for A/C
15 amp 120v for microwave
15 amp 120v for GFCI's in bath and on veranda (cieling fan is also on this circut)
15 amp 120v for lights
15 amp 120v for all other recepticals

Kitchen wall wirng.

Cieling fan box.

Looking up into the loft.

I should finnish up the wiring this week. Then I'll start the plumbing rough.

Next years firewood is almost done just a few more blocks to split this week.

MountainDon

It's always a good idea to be a year ahead on the wood. It amazes me when I see folks cutting wood in the fall for that winters use.  d*

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Lots more heat out of it that way.  I have lots of several year dead wood that makes immediate seasoned wood - a bit harder on the saw chain but not bad.

The electrical looks great, Scott. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

I finished up the electrical rough today with the exception of the main service line. I still need to wire for phones and networking. A buddy of mine whos hard up for some work came by today and helped me start sanding the scissor trusses. I'm going to sub out my tile work to him since that what he does and can likely do a better job than I can. He may help with a few other minor things as well. Starting in about 2 weeks I'll be working on deer run more or less full time until it's finished. After discussing it with the wife we dicided it wasn't worth chasing low paying construction jobs right now and I'd be better off working on the house. Plumbing rough starts next week.