Cost to install modular or kit house?

Started by kyounge1956, June 15, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyounge1956

I haven't posted on countryplans for quite a while. Originally, I was planning to self-build a straw-bale house, but I've had to change my plans "due to circumstances beyond my control". I'm now thinking about buying a lot and having a modular or pre-cut house built on it. Right now, what I need is to get some idea of (1) how much of the total available money I can afford to spend on the site and (2) how much it will cost for the foundation, utility hookups, permits--whatever is needed for a finished house but not included in the price of a kit. Is there a rule of thumb for how much to allow...other costs will be as much as the kit, half as much, twice as much, or ???? The piece of property I am thinking of is an undeveloped lot with utilities in the street--no septic system required. The property I am leaning toward is on an undeveloped right-of-way, so it would require at least a gravel driveway, or possibly a paved road (which might price it out of feasibility). The length of the driveway would be between 200 and 300 feet, depending on which lot (there are four adjoining ones).

I have been assuming, for no particular reason, that I shouldn't spend any more than 1/4 of the total on the land. It just seemed too scary to spend as much as 1/3... If the kit costs half of the total, will the remaining quarter probably be enough for the other expenses, or, especially with a long driveway or road, do I need to keep the cost of the land plus the kit lower than that?

UK4X4

Costs of things seem to be diferent from area to area- some building permits are 20K - some foundations in KY are 5-6K with the clearance
mine in CO will be closer to 25K .

Electric hookups too that I've seen seem to be all over the place in regards to cost.

I think some one in your area could help- find a thread in the same state or country will give you local pricing.