Starting on twin 12x16's

Started by Building Bob, September 26, 2010, 09:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

Man I've got to get some of those! Thanks for the pics.
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Redoverfarm

I have never used the extended ones as shown in the first video.  The others are quite common.  They are made so that the 16d nails used to support them do not have to be removed.  Just pry the bracket enough to slip the brackets out and then drive the 16d's back down into the framing. Then when you reposition them just use a couple new nails. Generally unless you have a large roof you only need to reposition them once or twice to reach the complete roof surface.  The best part is that they are really not that expensive ( $5-6 a piece) so you can get enough to reach from one side to the other.

Building Bob

The spring build is about to begin. Over the winter I found a great deal on some dimensional certainteed shingles for $20.00 a bundle. Found a local guy to put them on for $100.00. Better him than me. Pictures soon to come.

Building Bob

Let me try the pictures again.

Building Bob

Here are some more. This is where we are as of today.

Sassy

Niiice!  I'm sure it's a good feeling to get this much done!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Building Bob

Thanks. We spent 4 days getting both cabins to the same point. Our roofing guy did a heck of a job for $100.00 each.
Next is the tyvek, doors, and windows. Then we have to figure out what type of porch we are going to put up.

Building Bob

Does anyone have any suggestions on rhe typ of porch I should build? Is a roof over it worth it. Thanks in advance. Bob

Redoverfarm

Bob I will have to admit that I have not followed your thread from start to finish but occassionally dropped in.  I am not sure exactly where you are proposing to place the porch.  Will there be a single porch to face all three cabins or individually.  From the photographs it appears that you have two cabins completed to the dry-in stage and construction on the third to begin.  With a standard gable roof on the third(center) you will be dumping rain/snow to the center between the cabins.  A solution would to have constructed a gable roof on the center cabin to be perpendicular to the outside cabins but this would/should be considered in the framing stage.  Although not impossible to do with the other cabins roofed it would require the removal of some shingles to attach the roof plate to the already constructed cabins.  Maybe I am completely off base with what you are asking but it was just an observation. 

Building Bob

The picture I have in my mind is an individual porch on the front gable end of each cabin. If a roof was included I'm not sure if it would be a shed type roof or a gable type to mirror the main roof line.
The middle cabin is on temporary hold do to employment uncertainty of the third owner. Any advice would be appreciated.

MushCreek

My vote would be to have a covered porch. If you want some sun, you can always move a chair out in to the open, but if you decide you want a roof over your head, you're sunk. I like sitting on a porch on a rainy day, for instance.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Building Bob

I am sorry I have not been keeping up with the progress we have made. Three years later I'm still at it. Here are some photos to let everyone see what we have accomplished.

Both cabins from a distance.

Building Bob

I tried to use a Jefferson ladder. It worked great going up or going down, but whatever you do don't stop along the way. Your brain thinks there is a step next to your other foot and after almost killing myself several times I decided to build a staircase. A narrow steep staircase it is but it was worth the effort. The series of photos show the progress over several months.

Loking out the top front window at the deck.

Jacknife