My cabin build

Started by busted knuckles, August 21, 2016, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busted knuckles

First, I would like to say how grateful I am for this forum. The people on here are great. I have been threatening to do this for a while.  My build is 16x24 1.5 stories. Here are some photos of my cabin build thus far. Located in the southern Okanagan, British Columbia. Just north of Omak, Oroville WA. I do some shopping in Omak.

you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

busted knuckles

I am off grid, but not far from town. I may get electricity hooked up, may go solar. This soil is full of rocks, hard to dig, couldnt pound stakes in for the forms. That is why you see the steel hangers. It was free and made sense.  The foundation is a perimeter footing with piers. I know, I know, another pier foundation. I am happy with it, but would not do it again. It did not save much, if any and is not as strong as a standard foundation.

Couple neighbors

busted knuckles

I made my own anchors, 3"x1/4" 18" long. Anchored in concrete with some drilled holes and galvanized bolts. I had them hot dip galvanized. The smaller parts are some shims.

busted knuckles

busted knuckles

I made and installed some brackets to keep the built up beams upright. There are three of theses braces spanning from one side to the other.

This last pic is all I have done, I broke a metacarpal bone in my hand, 6 weeks ago. Cast is off, will start up again.

PEG688

Quote from: busted knuckles on August 21, 2016, 12:28:05 PM
I am off grid, but not far from town. I may get electricity hooked up, may go solar. This soil is full of rocks, hard to dig, couldnt pound stakes in for the forms. That is why you see the steel hangers. It was free and made sense.  The foundation is a perimeter footing with piers. I know, I know, another pier foundation. I am happy with it, but would not do it again. It did not save much, if any and is not as strong as a standard foundation.

Couple neighbors

They don't look friendly!!!  :o
   Lots of rocks !  Did you hand dig the trenches???

Looks good , but man watch you getting lumber off the pile!!!  :o

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

busted knuckles

Yes, I hand dug the trenches. It took while, but i didnt mind it.

hpinson

I must say, those trenches look both epic and monumental.  Hats off to you sir - looking forward to more.   c*

We have lots of those spiders around in New Mexico. Not so many rattlesnakes happy to say.

Don_P

Beautiful country. Round rocks... glacial, river? I didn't realize both of y'all had black widows too.
I've normally not minded either. Digging has always been sort of like mowing the grass, the body says to the brain, kick back and leave the driving to us.
That is very close to where I don't have a problem with piers.

ChugiakTinkerer

Your soil looks to be just this side of bedrock.  Whew!

I really enjoy the view you've got.  It's a great reminder of how much diversity of ecosystems BC has, not just the towering rain-forests on the coast.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story