indoor firepit hood..

Started by rusticrural, February 18, 2023, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticrural

sorry if this perhaps is not the best kind of forum to ask this but given that it would somewhat impact how to frame the roof over this particular area etc I thought i'll as well as just ask here..

for a wood and/or coal burning 2-feet-diameter firepit indoor, is there any particular maximum height for the hood itself or as long as there isn't any forced airflow in the house itself to majorly affect the smoke direction with - I could get away with using a 4+ feet hood roughly 6-7 feet above the fire itself? (sanity check: smoke doesn't go directly vertical so hood has to be quite bigger than the actual fire right?)

in short context I'm currently looking at central firepit and 'offside' kitchen stove as part of the primary daytime heat with small fuel heater handling any non-fire times otherwise. and it would be nice to just be able to stand up in front of the firepit at times

OlJarhead

Hmmm.... Not sure how you'd do that but I have seen some setups for gazebo's like that and I think Mountain Don did one.

I've been planning an outdoor firepit inside a gazebo with a hood but that's yet a way out for me ;)

MountainDon

Our gazebo had a Chiminea and I fitted a full class A chimney. It worked well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

That's right, if I remember right, it was kinda like an outdoor fireplace more than a pit right?

MountainDon

Yes, it had an open front with a hinged screen door.

The chiminea was cast aluminum and now hangs on the block wall at home.

It melted when the gazebo burnt to ashes whensml-20220508_112854.jpg  the Cerro Pelado wildfire roared through last April 22.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

MountainDon

Quote from: MountainDon on March 15, 2023, 10:10:24 AMYes, it had an open front with a hinged screen door.

The chiminea was cast aluminum and now hangs on the block wall at home.

It melted when the gazebo burnt to ashes when the Cerro Pelado wildfire roared through last April 22.

sml-20220508_112854.jpg