???24 X 30 Floorplan??? why not 24 X 32???

Started by CZVZ, June 17, 2012, 05:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZVZ

Will be building a cabin soon.  I'm looking at floor plans and have found one that I am interested in thats 24' X 30'.  My question is this... why not make  it 24 X 32... a multiple of 8?  The little bit that I know about building matierials is that there based on 4' X 8' building blocks.  Would it not be less doinking around for a builder if, for example he didn't have to rip a 4 x 8 piece of plywood in half?  Or is there something magical about a 30' dimension that lends itself well to a cabin structure?

Im not a carpenter!
CZVZ

MountainDon

By the time the entire project is completed there will not be any substantial difference to time or money expended if the chosen dimension was 30 ft or 32 feet or even 31 feet 4  3/4 inches.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

20' is the most you can do and span with 2x12 floor joists.

personally with my local lumber prices i figured up that its cheaper to put in an extra support and use smaller floor joist

as for the length its probably pretty close either way but i build everything in 4' or 8' increments.

Squirl

20 X 30 is perfect for a block foundation.  It only requires cut or half blocks at openings.  I never figured out a 24x32.  The only difference I could see is in lumber spacing.  Things divisible by 4 work best for 16" O/C.  If going with 24" O/C spacing then anything divisible by 2 works.