Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / 32x20 two story (loft) cabin b...
Last post by OakBuilt - April 04, 2024, 05:38:32 AM
Good morning,
New to the forum, Ive been searching and reading a ton of older build posts that are similar to the build I'm starting. I have some questions, my hope is they are not super redundant and I've just not used the search option enough.

Unusual spring winter storm here so I figured I would ask some questions.

I am starting to build a 32x20 cabin it will be two stories on a mountain ridgeline. I just completed digging the footing holes. I will be doing sonotubes on footings. There are no building codes in my area I need to follow but I will spend the money to "over build" with some constraints. It has been almost impossible to get contractors to show up so that is why I have decided on a pier foundation.

The soil is rocky, shale, and clay. I have excavated 18 pier/footer holes, (3 rows of six). I plan on pouring 2'x2'x1.5' footings, they will be 24-30" below grade. I will be using 12'" sonotubes formed up so I can pour the footer and pier together using pump truck. I will be adding rebar to the footing and sonotubes. 

I'm pretty green at all of this but the folks Ive met and discussed with think I'm over doing it, (I'm fine with that). Also the walls will be 2x6, 10 foot main level with approximately 4.5 foot knee wall and a 10:12 roof pitch. The upper level loft will be approximately half the lower level so 32x12 or so.

I'd really appreciate and insight or suggestions on how this all sounds. I've done a lot of construction in my day but that is definitely not my profession. I'm from another state with flat land so this mountain building is foreign to me.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - April 02, 2024, 12:12:27 PM
Been a while but I'm still at it!  This time I updated my 10 year old inverter to a nice new one!
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - March 27, 2024, 08:12:05 PM
Medeek Project Plugin **Tutorial 6** - Estimating Weights and Costs (13:52)

https://youtu.be/vWXrEG_FWgc
Last post by Medeek - March 27, 2024, 01:54:14 AM
Version 1.2.1 - 03.27.2024
- Added cost analysis for windows units in walls within the Medeek Estimating Module.
- Added additional logic into the Medeek Scene Generator so that assemblies are ordered in the report logically by their assembly names.
Last post by Medeek - March 24, 2024, 12:46:31 AM
Version 1.2.0 - 03.23.2024
- Added Headers (window, door, garage) for walls within the Medeek Estimating Module.
- Added Blocking for walls within the Medeek Estimating Module.
Last post by Medeek - March 22, 2024, 02:03:18 AM
Version 1.1.9 - 03.22.2024
- Added a Weight Database to the Medeek Estimating Module.
- Enabled Weight Analysis to the Medeek Estimating Module for Rectangular Wall Panels.
- Fixed some minor bugs with the estimating module for wall panels.

General Forum / Re: Mortar Consistency and Str...
Last post by rothbard - March 21, 2024, 05:34:05 PM
Lol no one answered it so I figured it out elsewhere.  I wasn't satisfied with the adhesion of my mortar.  I am solving the problem by fulling grouting all of the cells, and possibly applying surface bonding cement afterwards.  I'm required to grout my CMU anyway since it is 6 inch.

FWIW I think I was just ignorant about the properties of mortar.  I examined another wall built by someone else and it had pretty similar properties, I guess I was thinking a block wall magically was strong before it's grouted.  It seems without any other reinforcement block walls aren't good for much except in compression.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - March 21, 2024, 03:07:05 PM
Version 3.5.6 - 03.21.2024

- Added built-in "Taped" and "Green Taped" gypsum materials for all wall types.
- Updated and added additional tool tips within the Global Settings.

General Forum / Re: Mortar Consistency and Str...
Last post by Daut2000 - March 20, 2024, 11:37:04 PM
What problem? How do you solve? ???
General Forum / Re: greenhouse off log house?
Last post by hickmankay - March 20, 2024, 01:59:31 AM
Doing this will make your house more stuffy and mold will appear on the pieces of wood. This will cause your wood to rot faster