"CAMP SICILIA" OWNER BUILT 16' X 32' CABIN

Started by CAPTBIZ, November 02, 2010, 11:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPTBIZ

Hi everyone!  I am new to posting on this site and have devoured all the contents over the past years.  I finally began my life long dream of building my own small cabin to getaway from it all and enjoy one of my passions...hunting and the great outdoors!  This website has been such a motivating factor in my project.  I am still new to figuring out how to post photos and the continued progression of my project....so please be patient.  I have owned 7 acres in upstate New York for about 15 years with the intention and hope of building a small cabin one day.  That day commenced in May 2010.  I am almost completed with the exterior of the cabin and I must admit that although I have some carpentry skills, this project was exhausting.  Logistics played a big role in the building of this structure with its remote area location.  I have documented both photographs and short video clips of the progress.  I hope to share my experiences and suggest options to avoid the pitfalls I encountered.
Can anyone tell me easiest way to insert a photo with my messages?

John Raabe

w* Welcome to the forum Captbiz.

Check out the "how to post pictures" thread in the "Forum News" section.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3512.0

Basically, you start a free Photobucket account and upload pictures there. Then you copy the IMG code that shows up when you right click on the image you have stored. You then paste that code into your forum post here. Once you do it the first time you find it is easier to do than explain.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Squirl

w*

I look forward to it.  There are many of us in upstate NY also.  What part if you don't mind me asking?

CAPTBIZ

CAPTBIZ

These are my progress photo's of my owner built "Camp Sicilia" cabin located near Cobleskill, NY.  It's my first time trying to post photo's hope this works :-\

CAPTBIZ

YAHOO!  Just posted first photo's....it worked :D  Here are some additional photos....enjoy.

CAPTBIZ

Here are additional photo's in no particular order....

That's me on the right. ;D My good friend and professional carpenter,Tom, (on left) was absolutely instrumental in helping me with the major part of this project.   He volunteered all of his time (endless hours + travel) over the months.  I owe him big!

CAPTBIZ

[cool]

CAPTBIZ

I'm new to posting on the forum.  I finally have figured out how to post photos.  The cabin I am nearly completing is taken from John's plans.  It is 16 X 32 over all.  It has a 16 X24 cabin w/ an 8 X 16 attached porch which will eventually have a shed roof over.  I have built this cabin with 2 X 4 X 10's walls.  It has a 16 X 12 loft w/ 8 foot center height in the loft.  The roof has a 12 in 12 pitch to help keep snow off.  Will post additional info.  All for now.

glenn kangiser

Cool Project, CAPTBIZ.  w* to the forum.  Looks like you have the posting down well.

The only thing I noticed that I have a question about is that it looks like you may want a couple sets of lateral bracing in the lengthwise direction too.  From what I saw quickly looking over the pix, it looks like you are on above ground piers maybe on a gravel trench?

Probably not much of a concern but I thought I would mention it.  

Seems it could hinge lengthwise too.  I don't think NY is much of an earthquake area is it?, but I guess any place is susceptible to high wind

Nice job..  Like your signs too.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl

Good job.  I am building over in Otsego County.  What was the building/inspection process like over in Schoharie?

The footings look they are right at ground level.  Am I wrong?  Did you inspector say anything about them?  We have to have them below the frost line in Otsego. 

What are the 55 gallon drums for?  Rainwater catchment?

CAPTBIZ

Hey Glenn!
The current bracing appears to be very sturdy.  Length wise the main triple beams seem to be doing the job of supporting length wise.  Extra bracing is always better.  Eventually, I will be enclosing the bottom portion and using a stone veneer to resemble a stone foundation yet, giving me access to the bottom of the cabin.  The foundation is a post and pier foundation similar to the Nash Cabin on the gallery of this website.  Just gravel pads with dug about 18 inches down and back filled with #2 stone, tampered, re-filled and topped off with crusher run.  A 2x2 paver is then leveled followed by a concrete filled block with bracket.  A 6X6 post is then attached.  No earthquakes in NY, especially in upstate mountainous areas.  Thanks for your comments.

CAPTBIZ

Squril,
I submitted plans for my "workshop/storage shed" and received a building permit.  I still have to have the "Final" completed by the inspector.  I followed the guidelines he provided.  My cabin has gravel pad footings and yes....they are at ground level.  According to instructions and plans approved by building inspector I hope that I don't have any problems during the final inspection  :(  The 55 gallon drums are for a small septic system.  Additionally, the 55 gallon drums will be used to collect rain water and then pumped into cabin....there's a great video on youtube on this system.  A filtering process is also incorporated.  Thanks for the comments.  Good luck in Otsego!

JRanch

Nice looking cabin and great progress also. I look forward to seeing some inside pics.

MountainDon

I wasn't going to, but now I will echo Glenn's comment of bracing the piers to the main beams. IF those piers were in the ground three to four feet or more they would be much more stable. However, they are simply sitting there, a few nails attaching them to the metal brackets that are concreted to the concrete blocks that are just sitting there. The upper end of the piers are similarly nailed to metal brackets and then to the beams. That amounts to a bunch of hinge points waiting for a really big wind. No doubt it feels stable if you run, walk, jump, push or pull on it yourself.

The bracing you have would also be stronger if they were connected where one crosses the other to form an "X". That would require a block between the two planks. They are 2x material?  

Look, I do not want it to seem like I'm coming down hard on you, but I'd rather do that than have some hurricane force wind make that nice cabin come down hard. It's obvious you have a lot of sweat invested in the project and you are proud of it. Additional bracing will make it better. What plan did you use as a basis?

How many inspections has the inspector made so far?

One question. Is the porch floor decked over solid, so water can not run through? What provisions for drainage off that porch floor?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

As a side note, we did have one member who built his house in a seasonal runoff and his piers shifted so he tore his cabin down, though I don't see anything that serious here.  I just like to mention anything I see that may be a problem.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl

That is a great tip about a storage shed/workshop.  Thanks.   d*

CAPTBIZ

MOUNTAIN DON
Thanks for the advise!  As you can see, there is tremendous weight on those peers which I hope will assist in stablilizing the structure during high winds.  The cabin is nestled and surrounded by pine trees.  We don't usually experience hurricane style winds in my area.  Your suggestion on installing "block" bracing in between the existing "x" bracing will be done.  I used a combination of the "Nash Cabin" and the "16X24 Michigan" cabin found in the gallery section as my design.  The foundation is similar to the one pictured in the Nash Cabin photos.  And...yes...it is all 2x's material.  The inspector has not done any inspections thus far, in part...because none are required for this particular type of structure.  However, the inspector did require plans for this structure and I'm assuming  :-[ that....since he issued the building permit that he approved the plans as submitted. There is a final inspection which is considered a final certificate of compliance.  Finally, the porch is NOT decked over solid.  It is constructed with standard PT 5/4 boards allowing for drainage.  The soil percs well....so I don't anticipate any water collection problems.  In fact, we have had some torential downpours and have experienced no visible or noted problems whatsoever.  Thank you for your comments they are greatly appreciated ;D

CAPTBIZ

JRANCH
Thanks for the comment....I am in the process of finishing the exterior siding (which is T-111).  Once I commence on the inside, I will post additional photos of the interior.   

MountainDon

CAPTBIZ. One of the reasons I take time to look at pictures and point out "things" that might be improved upon is that as you mentioned, you used others projects as a guide. I don't like to leave loose ends laying around for that reason. I know I don't catch all the iffy things that come along.

If anyone is curious, wind force is a function of wind velocity, expressed by:
Qs = .00256 V2
Qs is the wind force, V is the velocity of the wind.
The assumption is that the wind hits the wall perpendicular to the wall. 
A 90 mph wind produces nearly 21 lbs per square foot.
Your end wall would have at least 4000 lbs pressure with a 90 mph wind or gust.

Re: the question on the deck. I was not thinking about water on the ground. With the deck boards spaced to permit water to drain through, there is a potential for future problems on the main support beams. Water can puddle and collect of the top of the beams. It could seep in between layers. If this happens enough the wood may deteriorate. Just a heads up, something to keep an eye in future years.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CAPTBIZ

Hey Mountain Man!
Thanks for all the comments and concerns. ;D  I will certainly fortify the bracing, as you suggested.  After reviewing your equation, I certainly hope that I don't ever experience 90 mph winds :)   The main support beams are all pressure treated lumber fastened together with "liquid nails" + galvanized nails + lag bolts spaced throughout the 32' expansion.  Although there is spacing in between the boards most water will be sifted through the board flooring any water that collects on the main support beam should be tolerated and not cause any rot for....say....30 years or so LOL.  I certainly hope that my triple plus beam will withstand the elements.  Once again thanks for the input...I appreciate it.

MountainDon

Quote from: CAPTBIZ on November 04, 2010, 05:57:41 PMThe main support beams are all pressure treated lumber

Ah!!  They didn't look at all like PT lumber. Not as much color to them compared top what we have out west.   That's good then.

PA-Builder

Nice cabin Capt.

You are fortunate to have gotten the excellent advice from Glenn & Don (before an unsuspecting wind storm ruins your project).

ten

CAPTBIZ,

This is certainly an older thread, but I'm taking the chance you're still alive & well. I landed on your "Camp Sicila" cabin just by Googling pad and pier foundations (for weeks). I had given up that my project's foundation could be done the way I wanted it, but yours is exactly what the Dr. ordered. Seems doable and you documented it so well! The big question.....After 6 years, how has it held up? Would you change anything? Good job! [cool]