Progress finally

Started by Daddymem, April 28, 2005, 05:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddymem

I've heard both.  I heard they are going to the 18 from the 16 due to some change in the code about stairs.    I imagine they could do either.

Chuck_Surette

Yep,

The 16 doesn't leave much room on either end of the stairs.

I believe I saw it posted somewhere that national code is changing.

When I was up there - the talk was 9/12 pitch & scissor stair and cutting off the kneewall at 4 1/2 ft.

The demo plan I was given - shows scissor stair & the hallway up the middle.

Daddymem

Oh boy, we better bring out Universal layout in case...

Chuck_Surette

18 foot demo.

Daddymem

Met with David...wow...just...wow.  We have in our hands a 24'x33'-4" set of plans to markup (very little to change, interior walls, etc.)  Sounds like they will eventually be going to only the 24' wide model but will do the 16' model if someone requests it.  So much to digest, so much to tell about here...too tired now, I'll try to get to it in the morning before we head north again, this time to see grams.  Even got a new dvd and a cool paper model to put together of the house.  Neat guy that David is, reminded me of Andy Rooney.

Chuck_Surette

OK just one question - Straight or scissor stair?

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Daddymem

Rofl...what a great dvd David has now.  I laughed, I cried (well mommymem twisted my arm and it hurt), and we learned a bit.  Great photos, great information about the people who build these houses and some great footage of David explaining his "mission."  We are ready to go, get the red tape outta our way!

Daddymem

Ok, got a few minutes here.  The stair code topic:
There are two current stair codes, the "old" one @ 8-1/4" max rise, 9" tread and the @ "international" one 7-3/4" max rise 10" tread.  The difference in the FirstDay cottages is 2 extra treads to meet the international code.
What the official name of the "old" one is, I'm not sure, but I think that refers to the Uniform Construction Code (UCC).  The "international" one refers to the International Residential Code (IRC) I think (looks like there is a 2006 version?).  I'm not sure why the archs didn't chime in on this question... :-?

John Raabe

There were (and still are) a number of codes that are slowly being replaced by the IRC. In the west the code was always the UBC (uniform building code). There was another code in the east that I can't now remember the name of.

The shallower stair is more difficult to design for. Check with your local jurisdiction to see what they want - it may not be the same as the next city or county. And... as we've talked about before it will vary with the SF and use of the area the stairs goes to.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Ailsa C. Ek

Darn.  All the floorplans I've drawn up assume one foot of rise for one foot of run, with 6" stairs.  I take it that doesn't work?  In words of one syllable for the mathematically slow, how long does a stairway have to be to go up 8' now?  And is a scissor stair a U-shaped stair?

John Raabe

Here is the layout planning tool that I have on my subscription home deisgn site. The Schematic layout sheet has several 1/8" scale stairways that can help plan a usable floorplan.

http://tinyurl.com/9jynf

The plan scaler sheet is also helpful for taking a magazine plan and pulling parts of it into your design.

http://tinyurl.com/9fdbj

John Raabe
www.planhelp.com

Ailsa C. Ek

QuoteHere is the layout planning tool that I have on my subscription home deisgn site.

Those look really neat.  The site says it's not ready for people to join it, though.

Why you might want to join us...

Note - this site is coming soon, but is NOT ready for membership. Please don't join yet.

dan614

so with a 10 inch rise for each 7.75 step you could get 8 feet in 6 feet? Ultimately, what is the footprint of a set of basic small stairs up to a standard height second floor?  [smiley=shocked.gif]

glenn kangiser

I think 7 3/4 rise is max with 10 " min. run -- anyway there is a free document you can print - I think John posted it in the free stuff section - gives you lots of stair stuff based on the code.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

This is what I am building in mine.
7-3/4" rise with a 10-1/2" tread.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

John Raabe

Nice drawing Jimmy. Very well worked out.

Have you mentioned before what software you are using and what your learning curve was? (I'm still looking for the best package to standardize on for my owner/designer site at PlanHelp.com)

John

Jimmy C.

I am pretty sure I got the layout from a stair calulator program that was somewhere in this forum.
I can't seem to find it anymore.
The stair drawing was created in Auto-Cad. A tool I use every day at work to create flat panel layouts to be cut out on a Cnc router.  The learning curve? About 8 years!

I have used cheap or freeware Cad packages in the past that are perfect for doing simple layouts of floor plans or walls. The drawing results have a simular look to autocad. I will try to find a few of them online.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

John Raabe

I'd appreciate you thoughts Jimmy.

I have been planning to use the old 3D Home Architect ver 3.0 (which can be purchased for as little as $6 and takes about 20 minutes to learn the basics) as a floor planning tool. It will allow people to rearrange walls, windows, doors and room layouts. They can also view simple 3D views of the inside and outside. But the cross section information is limited and framing and drawing level details are nonexistent.

If we could find an inexpensive and easy to learn program for simple CAD shapes and details that would be very helpful. I could do template details (a typical wall section, for instance) upload it into a library of details on the site, then someone else could download it and change the siding and interior finish callouts, as an example, for their own plans.

The learning curve of Auto CAD or even Chief Architect is too much to ask of an owner working on their own house project (not to mention the $$$ spent on the entry fee).

Chuck_Surette

Daddymem,

It's been a few days since the visit to Firstday Central.

Do tell....

on the 34xx24 - how's the floorplan going to look & did David try to talk you out of the 1st floor bath?

Did you visit the planet's 2nd best chocolate shop?

Daddymem

Floorplan is nice, I'll try to get sth in electronic format up here.  We have the kitchen, 3/4 bath, entryway, stairway, and den on one half of the bottom floor, living area on the other half of the bottom floor with a woodstove in the middle.  The second floor will have a walk in closet and 3/4 bath for the master, and a decent sized bedroom and full bath for the kids.  David whipped this plan up before our eyes with pens, whiteout, and a photocopier...neat to watch someone who is a master.  This was the working prototype of the 24-wide and it just fit perfectly on our site as if it were made for us.
We went to the chocolate store on our first visit...didn't buy a thing, waaaaay overpriced, but isn't most everything up there?

Chuck_Surette

Sounds good.

Now does the 24 use a beam below & posts at 12 feet on each 24' bent?

Wait a minute - are the bents installed in pieces - like the cape model?

There was a website that showed a cape model going together, a while back - think it's a dead link now - but the guy was in western mass.

It is very pricey up there (NH) - but beautiful...  And beauty costs money.

I told David his town reminded me of the TV show Northern Exposure - where all these eclectic, influential people all are drawn together.  Did he tell you about dinner with Ken Burns?

Daddymem

There are two options for the basement support: lolly columns, or three-bay (minimum) walls.  The floor joists sandwich the tops of the built-up posts on the wall version...I think we may do that.  I believe the bents are big "Ls" (with heels) you put up in a similar fashion on the first floor.  The second floor uses rafters that you lift 2-feet onto the tops of the posts.

There was an article in the Globe about new assessments on property.  There was a guy who had a modest home assessed at $300,000.  No big deal for this part of the country....then they slapped a $200,000 view value on his house!  They are doing that all over the place and an even bigger problem is they aren't applying the rules evenly, some views get assessed way higher than others and there doesn't appear to be any justification for it (one is not better than the other).  Some nth generation elderly farm owners are having to sell their places since they can't afford the new taxes.  What makes this worse is that the people who can afford these taxes are the developers who carve that farm into postage stamp lots and put those ugly McMansion boxes on them.

They are an eclectic bunch up there for sure.  New Hampshire is beginning to suffer an identity crisis.  They throw their arms up in protest proclaiming they are not like Massachusetts, yet more and more it looks like Massachusetts.  When they say Massachusetts, what they mean is suburbs of Boston.  I almost cry to think my family won't be handed down my grandparent's pond front log cabin (she has a reverse mortgage).  I grew up as a kid dreaming that I would move there to live someday and still toss around the idea from time to time of moving up there.  Maybe someday...

I bet David could fill a week with stories of people he has met.  He used to build for the rich and famous.  I didn't ask, but I wonder if he still does that work as well as the FirstDay business?

Chuck_Surette

I can identify with the property values issue from above - that's why I'll never be able to move back to my hometown (wakefield MA) as prices on the North Shore are outrageous.

Even here in CT - where I purchased my current house, 8yrs ago for 85k- prices are getting silly.  

I guess that's where John's plans & Firstdays come in.

Oh yeah - and our ELECTRIC rate is going up 22% that's TWENTY-TWO PERCENT!

Effective tomorrow.

Daddymem

Ouch, those rate hikes are horrible.
Hey do you know the Hawes from Wakefield?
Yeah David seems really honest in his vision of putting the regular people into houses.  The support really seems to be there to, he even goes on trips visiting the different houses going up.