Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

peg_688

Ya can almost smell the bacon frying and see the deer hanging off the meat pole  8-)

Nice warm fire and a dry place to sleep/ nap  between the morning hunt and the evening tree stand  :)

Hurry up will ya , it'll be deer season soon ;)

Lookin good BTW I hope you guys hunt, or I may have offended someones delicate sensabilities :-[ :-/  

glenn-k

Oh PEG --- How could you -- those nice big brown eyes, the beautiful graceful gait as they walk ever so gently through...

the middle of my garden munching the tops off of everything my wife and I worked so hard to raise --- gone in a second..

I think it's only fair that we eat a few of them.

I love deer....     fried. :)  Anybody for eating a giant rodent?

Amanda_931

They're not rodents, Glenn!

rodents are what are eating the soap I use for a shower--little teeth marks every day!

(but I understand that the eastern Native Americans thought that getting a deer was the equivalent of going through the drive-in lane at a local fast food joint.  If it wasn't easy there was something wrong.)

glenn-k

Look like giant rodents to me -- and I like them about as much.  First year wasn't so bad -- we did the Japanese tourist thing -lots of pictures of the cute little deer--- but after they started eating everything that didn't have a 7 foot fence around it we grew a bit of a dislike for them.  It's still nice to see them down the hill at the neighbors place. :-/

dmlsr

another good day. weather was awsum and we got done what we set out.

Pic's of rear of cabin

side with windows framed

MIEDRN

Nice going! It's what I hope to do - build as I get the money. I like the wood in the bottom picture. Pardon my ignorance, but is that sheathing or siding?

Keep the pics coming and happy building!

glenn-k

MIEDRN

Have more questions - but feel too dumb to ask!  ;D

I'll be glad when I get those books listed on Johns recommended list!

glenn-k

----There are no stupid questions -only stupid answers ----

As a kid I always asked tons of questions - I remember being discouraged from asking at times but how else are we supposed to learn --- as you know --- only men are expected to be mind readers. :-/

Sassy

Dmlsr - great job - looking really nice.  

And BTW, Glenn, Sweetie,  the reason men are expected to be mind readers is that they don't like women asking or telling them what to do  :-*  ;)  ::)

glenn-k

Why do I always feel she is trying to minimize my manliness by calling me pet names on a public forum.  Please give me back my hair, Delilah.  :-/

MIEDRN

Shoot, I thought all men liked to be called by pet names........no wonder I've had problems in that area!  :o

Okay, since you can't read my mind after all....so you can use 1x12's for siding? Can you in cold regions? Are they interconnected in some way? How do you prevent water from getting behind them? Or them warping? Could you lay 1x6's horizontally? I guess that would be a lot of work, wouldn't it?

glenn-k

The idea is to get them to dry after they  get wet without pooling water behind them.  Battens over the cracks and 30lb felt behind them take care of most ptoblems -- for added security spacers can be used behind them to make a better drainage plane - called a screen wall.

1x6's horizontally can be used as clapboards - start at the bottom and lap each board over the lower board as you go up.  There are also various milled edges that do a similar thing - making the back of one board drain over the front of the lower one - like shingles -it brings the water to the outside.  6" or more above ground is one of the keys to long life.

30 lb felt wrinkles when wet to provide the desired drainage.  The new house wraps don't do this and under bad conditions mold commonly occurs even on new construction.

Clapboards ar pretty easy as are board and batten -- there are houses over a hundred or more years old all over the US using such siding with no preservatives.

Warping is not usually much problem - wet boards are usually nailed a couple nails near center at each support - battens nailed centers to allow movement of underneath boards for shrinkage and expansion.

This one is probably near 150 yrs old

See how easy that was -after I knew what was on your mind? :)

dmlsr

Not much done yesterday. Hung back door and did a few little things here and there. Going up today,pic's to come.

Dave

dmlsr

town came by and he was very happy with the work so far.

rear door installed

front door install

dmlsr

Rained alday (HEAVY) We did what we could do on the inside but did not really plan on it. pic's to come soon

D

glenn-k

Looking forward to seeing them, Dave.  The place is coming right along,

How is the ground there?  We got our first decent rain in 4 months or so and things tend to get a bit greasy with the clay I have torn up with the Bobcat tracks. :-/

dmlsr

some picks of the doors from the inside. locks not done yet

back

Front

Sassy

Dave, you should be all set, now!  Lookin good!  Keep posting the pictures - we like pics  :)

dmlsr

Al went up Sunday and got some stuff cleaned up that we have been working on. We both went up today and started work on the front.

door lock almost done

Dave

jraabe

Looking good!  :)

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those classic places that in a few years that you won't be able to tell when it was built.

glenn-k

Hey Dave.  I like your latch -- looks like a 3 way or maybe to be a 4 way dead bolt.  Did you guys build that?  I really like interesting latch mechanisms and machines etc.  I made my front door latch out of wood - oak limb handles - wood latch - a few steel parts to keep it all together easily.

dmlsr

John we are trying to keep it as rustic as we can . We are building it with as little power tools as we can .

Glenn Im making the door latch all my self. Trying to keep It as safe as we can. Have to try to keep BIGFOOT out.  lol

Dave

glenn-k

Cool-- great design - it should do the job. :)